Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Removing flooring. 
    On my phone, it looks like you may have a real wood floor underneath?

Also, that machine looks amazing!  I used heat guns and a pole with a blade on the end.  What at painful headache.
    The subfloor is OSB. The house was built in 1997. This machine is doing a great job, I definitely wouldn’t want to do this by hand. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,029
    lousubcap said:
    Just delivered around 50 chix wings to the local small staffed firehouse, cooked on the S-M rig.  

Beautiful!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    washing the two cars. As much as I love using the foam cannon, it's still work. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,966
    What’s the big upside of XM radio?  I just put on Apple music or listen to podcasts (both connected through my phone).
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,966
    Page 3000, and we did not break Vanilla?

Is it just me or has the flakiness this thread was exhibiting largely disappeared?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,115
    What’s the big upside of XM radio?  I just put on Apple music or listen to podcasts (both connected through my phone).
    There are a few benefits, making it worth the $10/month for me (actual free because AMEX reimburses up to $20):

1. Main benefit; XM works everywhere, no dead-spots like cellphones have.  Out west we travel hundreds of miles through nothing.

2.  I like DJs and hosts.  They have some funny and interesting DJs who make the listening experience less sterile.  Spotify is great but it seems clinical at times.

3.  All the DJs and none of the terrestrial commercials.  Clear choice had ruined terrestrial radio with 75% commercials.

4. I use their app to stream music to my pool and BBQ area because I like their music choices.  Easier to just pick a channel based on mood instead of Spotify playlists which don’t mix things up with new and interesting music much.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    The XM signal drops all of the time around here. It doesn’t like the trees along the road. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    The XM signal drops all of the time around here. It doesn’t like the trees along the road. 
    Ah, that could be an issue.  Mine drops when I pull in my garage.  They use terrestrial radio towers to beam the signal around in addition to the actual satellite signal.  Out here, we don't have trees, so they are not an issue.  We do have canyons and stuff, but even then I haven't had issues.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    Not too many trees in Arizona and Nevada. Like Ozzie, we keep it in the vehicle that we travel the most in for road trips. Plus I use the app Bluetoothed into the work car. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• zaphod
    edited September 2
    +1 on "what's the big upside?"  I use TuneIn and get all the podcasts, jazz and classical that I need to fill the commutes. I had a trial of XM with a few cars and after it expired never missed it.
    ~~
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    zaphod said:
    +1 on "what's the big upside?"  I use TuneIn and get all the podcasts, jazz and classical that I need to fill the commutes. I had a trial of XM with a few cars and after it expired never missed it.
    I used Tunein for a while, but then they switched to a subscription type model and I cancelled.

• DoubleEgger
    Apple Music is the ticket. I have plenty of downloaded music so I can play anywhere. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Not my demo cook fortunately.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    I liked sirius for the 6-month Free Trial I had on my Audi.  When they sent me info about the cost of a standard renewal, I called them and asked them to cancel, as some coworkers were getting it for $5/mo.  I got the Hard Sell, put on hold several times, and finally got what I asked for, for a year, after wasting 45 minutes of my life.  

A year later, I sent them an email telling them, "If you can give me another year for $5/mo, then sign me up for another year; otherwise, Cancel."  The next full-rate charge was on my CC bill the next month; I called my Credit Union and had the charge removed; then I mailed them this letter:

Same thing happened the next month.  I asked the Credit Union if there was a way to block them from any further charges, there wasn't!  I could continue to remove each charge on a piecemeal basis, which was BS.  

Same thing happened the next month.  I cancelled the charge.  Two weeks later I get this email from them, and my reply:

(all of this happened over a three or so year period, so my order may be a bit mixed up)  
    I refused to phone them, then they phoned me!!  I said some things that were probably not proper and slammed the phone down.
    Next month, another charge on my CC bill, but it was only half the amount.  I get an email from them saying, "We can apply this half-charge to your next bill when you sign up again with us".  

That was it.  That was the last straw.  By extreme fortune (which usually doesn't happen) my CC was compromised elsewhere (someone trying to buy a pair of shoes in Rio), and I was able to remove that damned "half-charge".  If my doctor ever tells me I have an incurable brain cancer and have 3 weeks to live, I will be filling a van with fertilizer and motor oil and taking a quick trip to Detroit.  If they offered me a guaranteed-lifetime renewal of $1/mo, I wouldn't take it, I will not give another dime to those snakes but rather spread the word.  F*ckers!!!  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,006

Put too much fatty meat in there?  Resulted in a grease fire?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Foghorn said:

I am guessing multiple holiday cooks.  They cook spare and baby back directly on the grates and judiciously sauce the ribs.  The fire is probably a combination of all
    the fat, trimmings, pieces fallen through, and quarts of BBQ sauce.  Nobody ever cleans the grills at these places.

They caught snippy when I stopped to take a photo.  They acted like I was snapping state secrets.

They also said the gas was off and they were just burning it clean.  I didn’t bother to point out all the paint was burning off the lid.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,010
    What kind of van, @Botch?
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    Foghorn said:

My guess is they were cooking brats or sausage. I had some sausage casings burst in a gasser years ago and it created a mist that ignited. It looked like that. 
  • zaphod
    edited September 3
    zaphod said:
    I used Tunein for a while, but then they switched to a subscription type model and I cancelled.

still have free options. I have not paid them a cent. perhaps I have been grandfathered in.
    ~~
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    Legume said:
    What kind of van, @Botch?
    Nondescript.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,320
    @Botch - Why Detroit?  If you're thinking GM they're OnStar, not Sirius.  Although with Chevy now selling zero ICE passenger cars* and Buick zero passenger cars period, fire at will. 
    *note Corvette is sports car, not passenger.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Roasted some hatch green chilies for a white chicken chili.  I had a few more left over that were just starting to soften up, so I sliced them up and started a ferment.  These ones have some heat, so really looking forward to it.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    dbCooper said:
    @Botch - Why Detroit?  If you're thinking GM they're OnStar, not Sirius.  Although with Chevy now selling zero ICE passenger cars* and Buick zero passenger cars period, fire at will. 
    *note Corvette is sports car, not passenger.

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I like the attorneys you use @Botch !

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Watching Narcos on Netflix. Done with the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul/El Camino set
  • Where in the world has @HeavyG been? Anyone talk to him?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Where in the world has @HeavyG been? Anyone talk to him?
    Oh my, hasn’t been around since June.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,189
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    WeberWho said:
    A simple weekend job turned into a nightmare...

My family was out of town for the weekend and I figured I'd tackle our front door. That way I could shut off the AC and not really worry about the front door being off the house when working on it. 

The door itself was solid but the previous owners had something like 10 kids and it was one of the last things in the house where it showed marks from kids living in it prior. The door itself had to have 80+ little dings from kids banging crap against it. Here's a preview of the door. 

The color somewhat hid the dings and marks but we wanted to change the color up since we painted the house a few years back. 

Here's the door after I removed the paint and hours of Bondo work. 

I explained my situation to Sherwin Williams and what I was looking for. They recommended me some exterior latex paint that was something like $40/quart. They said no primer was necessary with this paint I picked up. 

This is me peeling the paint off the door Sherwin recommended. I was a little upset to say the least. Not only did the paint push and not stick but it rusted the door. (I should have known better and not listened to them. Latex is water based and flash rusted the door as it dried.) Not only did I have to remove the paint once again, I had to re-bondo all the dents afterwards. 

I brought the door over to my parents and my Dad and I sprayed it with a automotive primer. After it dried we weren't happy with the results. It was older primer and it left a heavy texture as it dried. So I had to start over again. More Bondo work! Fun. 

We bought some new automotive primer and hardener and that did the trick. Since we used an automotive primer it limits what we could use for paint. We ran it over to a body shop and they wanted over $600 to spray it. Even with us prepping it. That's was a hard pass. 

Trying to find quart of oil based paint isn't easy. The limited supply of oil paint we found were set colors and not tintable. I eventually found one little quart hidden behind a shelf corner at Home Depot. So I gave that a go. 

I used a 1/4 nap rollers and the first coat went on fine. The next day I went and put on a second coat. It looked fine going on but I noticed a few lint marks from the roller towards the end of the second coat. I hit the door at an angle with a flashlight and noticed all this crap the roller was leaving. At this point this door is cursed. So I carefully spent hours sanding out all the crap that was left behind with the roller. 

So I go back to Home Depot and buy another quart of paint and some new paint rollers. I once again put on another coat and everything looks okay. Once again towards the end the roller starts leaving crap in the paint. Not only is it leaving crap in the paint the roller is leaving microscopic air bubbles in the paint. Once again, I'm spending endless hours lightly sanding out garbage and bubbles in the paint the next day. 

I switched over to foam roller. I was hoping to leave a little texture with the nap roller in case any of my Bondo worked showed through. I had no choice and was tired of fighting this damn door.

Trust me, I would have just bought a new door slab if I knew all that was going to take place. (I would have had to build a new jamb for the door as no new door slabs would align with the hinges that were routered in the jamb.) The door was side window and would be a pain to remove to build a jamb. It would have probably been quicker than the 60+ hours I have into the door. 

The color is not for everyone. My house is dark grey with some black accents. Pretty boring. So it needed a splash of something. So I went all in with something bright. Something that was supposed to take a weekend ended up taking weeks. 

A pick of the door when it was finally done!

that took so long its time to update the color =) i hate paint
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman

and for the burger, rachel rays brasciole meatloaf, dont skimp out on the raisins and pine nuts

ingredients

Units: US

directions

• Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    • Combine first 11 ingredients as if you were making meatloaf.
    • Flatten meat out on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet into a thin layer: 1/2-inch thick, 12 inches long by 6 to 8 inches wide.
    • Cover meat with spinach and cheese then roll the meat, using the waxed paper to help roll up into a large log, working across the 6 to 8-inch side, resulting in a 12-inch long log.
    • Drizzle the log with extra-virgin olive oil to coat lightly.
    • Roast meatroll 20 minutes. Cut into 1-inch slices, 3 pieces per portion, and serve.

Questions & Replies

fukahwee maine