Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,752
    ColbyLang said:
    Wired. Nothing like a cortisone shot to let you take a nap but then wake you up at 1am speeding like a junkie
    Time to start disassembling and cleaning your production line like a midnight tweaker.
    I’ve got a team of elves that do this daily. Might start field stripping and cleaning my guns lol
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,114
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Wired. Nothing like a cortisone shot to let you take a nap but then wake you up at 1am speeding like a junkie
    Time to start disassembling and cleaning your production line like a midnight tweaker.
    I’ve got a team of elves that do this daily. Might start field stripping and cleaning my guns lol
    Haha!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Haha!

Nothing that serious….whitetail season opens here soon. As does migratory birds (doves and ducks). A little preseason inspection and lube. Ready for action. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,189
    ColbyLang said:
    I think, honestly, theres a myriad of reasons all of our premiums went up. Natural disasters/fires/personal injury lawyers etc. couple that with the inflation we’re seeing in the construction sector and the cost to rebuild is astonishing. 

My house was over valued easily by 3-400,000 for “replacement cost” by one carrier. The same carrier wanted 3x what my homeowners cost last year. Zero claims in 20 years of owning. 
    Certainly the case with home insurance.

There were a few stories recently of entire counties (in Iowa, I think) where the companies simply won’t provide any insurance, period.  More and more are pulling out of Florida as well, for obvious reasons.  
    So the rates up here go up to cover floods in the south, fires in the west etc. and the go up again when they no longer cover those areas.  Insurance has funny math =) I would be paying about 15k for flood ins according to my flood zone, looking at old giant pine trees in the yard that would have toppled if there was ever a flood.  They changed my flood zone to cover southern flooding that they no longer cover. Funny how Lloyd's of London jumped in to bail me out of the fema nonsense for 1/15th of the cost
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,964
    ColbyLang said:
    I think, honestly, theres a myriad of reasons all of our premiums went up. Natural disasters/fires/personal injury lawyers etc. couple that with the inflation we’re seeing in the construction sector and the cost to rebuild is astonishing. 

My house was over valued easily by 3-400,000 for “replacement cost” by one carrier. The same carrier wanted 3x what my homeowners cost last year. Zero claims in 20 years of owning. 

There were a few stories recently of entire counties (in Iowa, I think) where the companies simply won’t provide any insurance, period.  More and more are pulling out of Florida as well, for obvious reasons.  
    So the rates up here go up to cover floods in the south, fires in the west etc. and the go up again when they no longer cover those areas.  Insurance has funny math =)I would be paying about 15k for flood ins according to my flood zone, looking at old giant pine trees in the yard that would have toppled if there was ever a flood.  They changed my flood zone to cover southern flooding that they no longer cover. Funny how Lloyd's of London jumped in to bail me out of the fema nonsense for 1/15th of the cost
    It's called actuarial science.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    ColbyLang said:

So the rates up here go up to cover floods in the south, fires in the west etc. and the go up again when they no longer cover those areas.  Insurance has funny math =)I would be paying about 15k for flood ins according to my flood zone, looking at old giant pine trees in the yard that would have toppled if there was ever a flood.  They changed my flood zone to cover southern flooding that they no longer cover. Funny how Lloyd's of London jumped in to bail me out of the fema nonsense for 1/15th of the cost
    Maybe stealing would be the correct term
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    ColbyLang said:

They are governed by the laws of supply and demand, like anything else.  They charge what the market will bear. But at minimum, they have to be able to assess risks and the likelihood of payouts and whether a natural disaster will bankrupt them.   

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of these companies or the way they work at times, not at all.  But it's not some mystery as to why their rates increase when they suddenly drop lots of people in a particular region.  

• fishlessman
    Just did my flood risk assessment.15k a year is for the water heater failing....that's probably not covered 😁
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    ColbyLang said:

They are governed by the laws of supply and demand, like anything else.  They charge what the market will bear. But at minimum, they have to be able to assess risks and the likelihood of payouts and whether a natural disaster will bankrupt them.   

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of these companies or the way they work at times, not at all.  But it's not some mystery as to why their rates increase when they suddenly drop lots of people in a particular region.  

It's also not a mystery that I would be paying less than a grand if my camp was in a flooding area in la instead of an area that has never flooded in Maine costing 15k a year.  Same camp, less risk, different market....
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,005
    My dad used to say that there is a fine line between the insurance industry and the mafia...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    edited September 6
    ColbyLang said:

It's also not a mystery that I would be paying less than a grand if my camp was in a flooding area in la instead of an area that has never flooded in Maine costing 15k a year.  Same camp, less risk, different market....
    This response does not make a whole lot of sense, fish, but maybe you were trying to say something other than what you actually wrote.

I don’t know what the insurance company told you, or what if any justification they had for the policy they were trying to sell you.  Sometimes it’s not the company so much as the agent you happen to get, in my experience.  I’m typically not all that impressed by these people.
  • Watching a family movie starring a CGI dog. How did we end up here? Maybe he’ll win best actor this year. 
  • fishlessman
    ColbyLang said:

This response does not make a whole lot of sense, fish, but maybe you were trying to say something other than what you actually wrote.

I don’t know what the insurance company told you, or what if any justification they had for the policy they were trying to sell you.  Sometimes it’s not the company so much as the agent you happen to get, in my experience.  I’m typically not all that impressed by these people.
    The govt sets the prices, the ins has the markup. I have four water fronts.  I won't change the camp back from Lloyd's,  it's 2.5  percent on the mortgage interest and accepts that.
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    fishlessman said:
    The govt sets the prices, the ins has the markup. 
    First I've heard of that, do you have a source I could review?  Thanks.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Botch
    Watching a family movie starring a CGI dog. How did we end up here? Maybe he’ll win best actor this year. 
    SCSI-Doo?  1011011 Dalmation*?  Boole-dog?  Yorkshire Terabite?  Bit-any Spaniel?  (whee this is fun!) Shih-CPU? 

* And now we bring you, Dalmation on Vacation!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,465
    Wow!  You and your wife really know how to focus on the individual and create experiences that lead to permanent memories.  What a treat for her.  Hit a grand slam couple of days!
    And the bonus-messing about in NYC.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    Watching college ball, cooking red beans and rice, about to season a prime packer that’s going on about 9pm for a lunch date with the NFL tomorrow 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    CTMike said:
    Our oldest granddaughter (12 y/o) is in an Arts and Communications magnet school, and she knows every word to every song in Hamilton by heart. So I decided she needed to “be in the room where it happens.” I am getting a huge kick out of seeing her full of so much joy - dancing in her seat and singing (quietly) along. 

Absolutely amazing experience!!  What a joy to share that with her.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,346
    CTMike said:
    Our oldest granddaughter (12 y/o) is in an Arts and Communications magnet school, and she knows every word to every song in Hamilton by heart. So I decided she needed to “be in the room where it happens.” I am getting a huge kick out of seeing her full of so much joy - dancing in her seat and singing (quietly) along. 

Absolutely amazing experience!!  What a joy to share that with her.
    Thanks. She was almost as pumped for the train ride to and from the city. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Botch
    CYCLONES!!!

• ColbyLang
    Botch said:
    CYCLONES!!!

Helluva game. 
  • That is why I hate borrowing sheet @Canugghead. How many times have I borrowed something and spent more time working on it than I used it?!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,207
    @StillH2OEgger knows what I'm talking about!

This is their single scoop kids cup. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,465
    WeberWho said:

That could well and truly be worth a road trip.  Way to enhance your business with the family. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    WeberWho said:

Wowsa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Daughter finally got the fancy ponies out of her system and back to what she grew up on.  Rodeos and barrel racing.  Feels good to be back at the local jackpots.  This is the horse world I like.