Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    @alaskanassasin @Botch
    I seldom borrow tools, this is a unique situation. Asked my son to lend me his Diamabrush and he dropped it off with it still attached to his F-I-L's grinder. The thing died merely couple of minutes after I turned it on. Transferred the Diamabrush to my own grinder and finished the job hours later, should have switched grinder at the get-go, lesson learned.

Speaking of lending tools, three incidents came to mind,
    1) Neighbour's son borrowed my drill...he lost the chuck key and the drill never felt the same, died shortly after.
    2) Neighbour's dad borrowed my clamps to do brake works, one of the clamps was returned cracked and he said nothing about it.
    3) This one is positive... coworker borrowed my old rusty manual post hole digger; came back sanded and painted!

I now 'reserve' my old retired tools for borrowers, if someone asks about a nice/new tool I'm using I tell him it's not mine.
    When we were just moving into our house when I was about 10, my dad borrowed some tools from our neighbor: Pickaxe and a shovel.  My dad used them, cleaned them, then put them in a box in the garage until the next day when he planned to return them.  Well, for some reason my mom drug the box out to the curb with all the other trash.  Tools got thrown away.  Bad part, the tools were antiques from my neighbors grandfather.

My parents called the garbage company and scoured the dump for days.  Never did find them.  I assume the garbage man saw them and kept them.  My dad replaced them with top of the line tools, but cannot replace sentiment.  It changed that friendship noticeably.

To this day, I never borrow tools.  
    Oh no, can't imagine how everyone felt. Not in a nice way, the silver lining out of this was making it more memorable for the neighbor than physically owning those tools, and you learned a lifelong lesson.

Speaking of garbage man he wouldn't stand a chance of finding large items of any value nowadays,  not with scavengers driving around the neighborhoods the night before collection day.
    Early in my career I had a lady call us because a neighbor took a piece of furniture that she had set out for the trash man to collect. She wanted to press theft charges. After confirming that the piece was set out on the road, with the trash, I told her that I would not be taking a report for anything. She was not happy. Eventually I turned and walked away while she was mid sentence. She vowed to have my badge for it. 
    Caps off to you for calling her a lady and not issuing her a ticket for whatever  =)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,114
    Trying to convince the wife when we remodel, to forgo a range top and just set it up with 4 Brevill Control Freaks and a double wall oven.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Ozzie_Isaac
    If you have a strong constitution check this out, a top sirloin liquified while cooking.  People are suggesting it was an abscess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smoking/s/HOWsQFXHBZ

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,602
    A new projected hurricane in the Gulf. Projected landfall Lake Charles around Wednesday as a class one. https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,752
    A new projected hurricane in the Gulf. Projected landfall Lake Charles around Wednesday as a class one. https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane
    That’s the absolute last thing that city needs at this time. They’re still recovering from the last one. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    It could still move east or west but at least they are talking about a category one not a two or more. We will probably have a better idea by noon tomorrow.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,964
    If you have a strong constitution check this out, a top sirloin liquified while cooking.  People are suggesting it was an abscess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smoking/s/HOWsQFXHBZ
    Thanks for the nightmare fuel, Ozzie!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,805
    Those looks fantastic, @Ozzie_Isaac!
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColbyLang
    It could still move east or west but at least they are talking about a category one not a two or more. We will probably have a better idea by noon tomorrow.
    Not the drift I wanted to wake up seeing this morning. Keep on moving please (as I’m currently in your crosshairs)

• Gulfcoastguy
    The more it drifts the more it comes into a more heavily occupied area. 
  • ColbyLang
    Next update 10am cst. Let the preparations begin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,189
    Botch said:
    fishlessman said:
    The govt sets the prices, the ins has the markup. 
    First I've heard of that, do you have a source I could review?  Thanks.  

ive seen it in FEMA.GOV    heres a small section

Why Flood Insurance is Getting More Expensive on Average

Flood insurance exists to help support people after natural disasters. The National Flood Insurance Program is mandated by Congress to set rates that are actuarially sound to reflect each covered property’s  true flood risk and are fairly distributed based upon individual risk levels. NFIP’s pricing approach is part of an ongoing process to bring rates in line with risks.

FEMA recognizes and shares concerns about the cost of flood insurance and how higher premiums can affect communities. Premiums include operating costs and other related costs. FEMA aims to align these costs as premiums increase, which would translate to a lower, risk-based cost of insurance.

when i bought the camp it was not zoned in a flood zone, it was a sticking point for me not to have flood ins. then one year they changed the mapping system. i went from no flood to type or class A.  which is pretty high.  A is a 26 percent chance of flood during a 30 year mortgage loan (funny how its even worded that way).  they started me at 2000 the first year with an 18 percentage increase every year until it hits a fair market value. they wont or cant tell you what the fair value is when it got up over 8k i found out my mortgage company did not  need a fema/nfip policy and that lloyds of london could hold the policy. thats something the broker should have known but didnt.

then theres how fema works, they will only kick in on your property after your ins pays in full so they make sure your policy is high when nfip sets those rates. what really bugs me though is that prices seem to be kicked up in the northeast as compared to say new orleans....

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,676
    Looks like a brown water event. Stay safe this week. 
  • ColbyLang
    Sent the wife out for bottled water, RockWood and proteins…..I’ve got more brown water than ammo lol
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    Sent the wife out for bottled water, RockWood and proteins…..I’ve got more brown water than ammo lol
    Stay safe!  Keep the flour dry.

• Gulfcoastguy
    1 o’clock update. Essentially unchanged from the 10 o’clock one.
  • ColbyLang
    Yep. Schools already scheduling early dismissal tomorrow and canceling Wednesday and Thursday. Potentially Friday too. The shift eastward means our camp on the coast will take a direct hit from the East side of it. Looks like we’re going haul boats yay!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    ColbyLang said:
    Yep. Schools already scheduling early dismissal tomorrow and canceling Wednesday and Thursday. Potentially Friday too. The shift eastward means our camp on the coast will take a direct hit from the East side of it. Looks like we’re going haul boats yay!
    Best get a move on it early. Waves and traffic will already be building up. Definitely time to swing by a service station and drug store if prescriptions are needed anytime soon.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    SamIAm2 said:
    Watching Grand Sumo. Don’t laugh; it’s addictive. 
    DoubleEgger - do you have a favorite wrestler? Been watching Grand Sumo for quite a few years. Next tournament is September 8. 
    That’s a tough one. Probably Endō. 
    Day two and Endō is 2-0 so far, early days but his Tachi-ai is pretty good. My favorite wrestler Terunofuji was injured the last basho so it's former Ozeki Shodi, also at 2-0,  I will be watching.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,676
    edited September 9
    SamIAm2 said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    DoubleEgger - do you have a favorite wrestler? Been watching Grand Sumo for quite a few years. Next tournament is September 8. 
    Day two and Endō is 2-0 so far, early days but his Tachi-ai is pretty good. My favorite wrestler Terunofuji was injured the last basho so it's former Ozeki Shodi, also at 2-0,  I will be watching.
    I saw that Terunofuji was out with a left knee injury and diabetes. 

Should be a good tournament. Are you watching it on NHK on YouTube? 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2024/tropical-storm-francine?map=5day&MR=1

The strength is projected to increase to a category 2 and the travel speed has increased from 4 mph to 6 mph.
  • ColbyLang
    She’s coming. Still very undecidedly where. I’ll await tonight’s updates. Boats are inland. Got generator rolling at home. Be what it be
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    edited September 9
    SamIAm2 said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    I saw that Terunofuji was out with a left knee injury and diabetes. 

Should be a good tournament. Are you watching it on NHK on YouTube? 
    DoubleEgger - Not YouTube. AppleTV delayed a bit or on my Cable DVR usually. Terenofuji has had diabetes for quite a while. That has got to be a difficult malady to manage with all the Chanko-nabe Sumo wrestlers need to eat.  
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • I hope we get some rain from this, we are severe drought. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,010
    I hope we get some rain from this, we are severe drought. 
    We've been in drought and they just lifted some of the restrictions - I haven't been able to light the egg for a few weeks.
    Not a felon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592
    ColbyLang said:
    She’s coming. Still very undecidedly where. I’ll await tonight’s updates. Boats are inland. Got generator rolling at home. Be what it be
    Go out and buy some bread while you're out and about picking up things!    :wink:
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    kl8ton said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Go out and buy some bread while you're out and about picking up things!    :wink:
    Absolutely the very last of my concerns lol. That and pizza dough. The Ooni can do some work if we lose power