Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    That is why I hate borrowing sheet @Canugghead. How many times have I borrowed something and spent more time working on it than I used it?!
    I'm coming from an equally negative, but opposite, direction.  I won't lend anything out anymore, even books and DVDs, as they come back damaged or not at all, every single time.  And this is from AF officers, senior engineers, and supposedly decent people.  Never again.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592

Glow foam party
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592

Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch said:
    That is why I hate borrowing sheet @Canugghead. How many times have I borrowed something and spent more time working on it than I used it?!
    I'm coming from an equally negative, but opposite, direction.  I won't lend anything out anymore, even books and DVDs, as they come back damaged or not at all, every single time.  And this is from AF officers, senior engineers, and supposedly decent people.  Never again.  
    I loan stuff out all the time but I make it
    clear I don’t want to have to come looking
    for it.  
      I have a dump trailer, I loaned it to
    one buddy who saw my spare tire shredded from a blow out leaning against the barn. Unbeknownst to me he took it, sandblasted the rim, painted it and put a brand new tire on it and brought it back with the trailer.
     I have another buddy (I try to charge the battery, top it off, if I know someone needs it) I told him I’m too busy to charge the battery so he’s on his own. Assuming he’d charge it up for me he said he went to the dump with his jumper pack in case it died but it didn’t so he was happy.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I have another buddy who borrows it and sweats bullets because it has a license plate that says NC Multi Year. I’ve lived in Ohio for ten years and never re tagged it lol. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    Botch said:
    I loan stuff out all the time but I make it
    clear I don’t want to have to come looking
    for it.  
      I have a dump trailer, I loaned it to
    one buddy who saw my spare tire shredded from a blow out leaning against the barn. Unbeknownst to me he took it, sandblasted the rim, painted it and put a brand new tire on it and brought it back with the trailer.
     I have another buddy (I try to charge the battery, top it off, if I know someone needs it) I told him I’m too busy to charge the battery so he’s on his own. Assuming he’d charge it up for me he said he went to the dump with his jumper pack in case it died but it didn’t so he was happy.

Well, you have a lot nicer neighbors/friends than I do; congrats.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,805
    WeberWho said:
    @StillH2OEgger knows what I'm talking about!

This is their single scoop kids cup. 

Awesome! I live half a block from here. We always tell folks to get the kid's cup but they don't always believe us. Glad you got the scouting report and showed restraint, then again, the Lumberjack is another way to go. That looks wonderful. I'm a sucker for the white chocolate raspberry truffle. Any other stops in town?
    Stillwater, MN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    @alaskanassasin @Botch
    I seldom borrow tools, this is a unique situation. Asked my son to lend me his Diamabrush and he dropped it off with it still attached to his F-I-L's grinder. The thing died merely couple of minutes after I turned it on. Transferred the Diamabrush to my own grinder and finished the job hours later, should have switched grinder at the get-go, lesson learned.

Speaking of lending tools, three incidents came to mind,
    1) Neighbour's son borrowed my drill...he lost the chuck key and the drill never felt the same, died shortly after.
    2) Neighbour's dad borrowed my clamps to do brake works, one of the clamps was returned cracked and he said nothing about it.
    3) This one is positive... coworker borrowed my old rusty manual post hole digger; came back sanded and painted!

I now 'reserve' my old retired tools for borrowers, if someone asks about a nice/new tool I'm using I tell him it's not mine.
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,207
    WeberWho said:
    @StillH2OEgger knows what I'm talking about!

This is their single scoop kids cup. 

Awesome! I live half a block from here. We always tell folks to get the kid's cup but they don't always believe us. Glad you got the scouting report and showed restraint, then again, the Lumberjack is another way to go. That looks wonderful. I'm a sucker for the white chocolate raspberry truffle. Any other stops in town?

The Teddy Bear playground and Nacho Mamas. We weren't planning on eating at Nacho Mamas but with timing and how the day turned out it made the most sense to stick around Stillwater and find a place to eat. We went to Nacho Mamas on a whim. The place did not disappoint. I thought the food was great and and portions were ridiculously big. (Not that I'm complaining!) We of course had to stop by Nelson's on the way out of town. It's been a minute since the last time I've been in there. I can't believe how busy it was downtown. It must have took me 10 minutes to find a place to park. I must have always been in town during the work week or a Sunday. People everywhere! That was neat to see!

I also noticed you donated your license plate on the wall at Nelson's.  ;)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    I picked up a Solo Stove last fall and used it tonight for the first time. I can see why people like them. Pretty slick. I'll need to look into a DIY heat deflectors. I can see how those heat deflectors could come in handy once the flame drops down into the pit. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,805
    Sounds like a great day, @WeberWho. Teddy Bear Park is a great spot, and yes, parking can be a challenge. When the new bridge opened 7-8 years ago it really opened things up downtown and it's a lot more consistently busy than it used to be.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,114
    @alaskanassasin @Botch
    I seldom borrow tools, this is a unique situation. Asked my son to lend me his Diamabrush and he dropped it off with it still attached to his F-I-L's grinder. The thing died merely couple of minutes after I turned it on. Transferred the Diamabrush to my own grinder and finished the job hours later, should have switched grinder at the get-go, lesson learned.

1) Neighbour's son borrowed my drill...he lost the chuck key and the drill never felt the same, died shortly after.
    2) Neighbour's dad borrowed my clamps to do brake works, one of the clamps was returned cracked and he said nothing about it.
    3) This one is positive... coworker borrowed my old rusty manual post hole digger; came back sanded and painted!

I now 'reserve' my old retired tools for borrowers, if someone asks about a nice/new tool I'm using I tell him it's not mine.
    When we were just moving into our house when I was about 10, my dad borrowed some tools from our neighbor: Pickaxe and a shovel.  My dad used them, cleaned them, then put them in a box in the garage until the next day when he planned to return them.  Well, for some reason my mom drug the box out to the curb with all the other trash.  Tools got thrown away.  Bad part, the tools were antiques from my neighbors grandfather.

My parents called the garbage company and scoured the dump for days.  Never did find them.  I assume the garbage man saw them and kept them.  My dad replaced them with top of the line tools, but cannot replace sentiment.  It changed that friendship noticeably.

To this day, I never borrow tools.  

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,237
    edited September 8
    Getting the brisket on. I ordered a 6kg packet, it looks like I was delivered a monster 6.3kg point. Not the end of the world but I doubt this will be ready tonight. Cooking at 225F over alder. @lousubcap should I cover the exposed meat to stop it drying out? Or spritz?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,752
    Brisket at 192.6° and rolling. I’ll let it go another 10° before I start probing it. Smells so good at 4 am lol
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    Brisket at 192.6° and rolling. I’ll let it go another 10° before I start probing it. Smells so good at 4 am lol
    4am?  Looks like the baker slept in.
    Looking forward to seeing the finish.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,676
    ColbyLang said:
    Might have pulled an all nighter. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    Might have pulled an all nighter. 
    I was up at 2:30. My dogs thought it was time to get up too. Stirred the whole house 🤦🏻‍♂️. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,492
    It’s the greatest Sunday of the summer! NFL is back. I’ll be heading to Lucas Oil Stadium in about an hour. 

Go Colts!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,964

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    @alaskanassasin @Botch

When we were just moving into our house when I was about 10, my dad borrowed some tools from our neighbor: Pickaxe and a shovel.  My dad used them, cleaned them, then put them in a box in the garage until the next day when he planned to return them.  Well, for some reason my mom drug the box out to the curb with all the other trash.  Tools got thrown away.  Bad part, the tools were antiques from my neighbors grandfather.

My parents called the garbage company and scoured the dump for days.  Never did find them.  I assume the garbage man saw them and kept them.  My dad replaced them with top of the line tools, but cannot replace sentiment.  It changed that friendship noticeably.

Oh no, can't imagine how everyone felt. Not in a nice way, the silver lining out of this was making it more memorable for the neighbor than physically owning those tools, and you learned a lifelong lesson.

Speaking of garbage man he wouldn't stand a chance of finding large items of any value nowadays,  not with scavengers driving around the neighborhoods the night before collection day.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,465
    Too late to the brisket party but I start with the foil trick on the thin end of the flat for a few hours.  Spritz later in the cook and all based on the status of the bark and brisket temperature.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    lousubcap said:
    Too late to the brisket party but I start with the foil trick on the thin end of the flat for a few hours.  Spritz later in the cook and all based on the status of the bark and brisket temperature.  
    Cheers Cap ... i'll foil it now. It's weird that it hasn't stalled yet and it's at 175IT.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    @alaskanassasin @Botch

Oh no, can't imagine how everyone felt. Not in a nice way, the silver lining out of this was making it more memorable for the neighbor than physically owning those tools, and you learned a lifelong lesson.

Speaking of garbage man he wouldn't stand a chance of finding large items of any value nowadays,  not with scavengers driving around the neighborhoods the night before collection day.
    Early in my career I had a lady call us because a neighbor took a piece of furniture that she had set out for the trash man to collect. She wanted to press theft charges. After confirming that the piece was set out on the road, with the trash, I told her that I would not be taking a report for anything. She was not happy. Eventually I turned and walked away while she was mid sentence. She vowed to have my badge for it. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,964
    lousubcap said:
    Cheers Cap ... i'll foil it now. It's weird that it hasn't stalled yet and it's at 175IT.
    I believe this is what's known as the cow driving the cook!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    Brisket off since early. Belly about to get sauced and covered for an hour or so. Sides prepped, TV on, beer in hand
  • DoubleEgger
    @alaskanassasin @Botch

Early in my career I had a lady call us because a neighbor took a piece of furniture that she had set out for the trash man to collect. She wanted to press theft charges. After confirming that the piece was set out on the road, with the trash, I told her that I would not be taking a report for anything. She was not happy. Eventually I turned and walked away while she was mid sentence. She vowed to have my badge for it. 
    An OG Karen 
  • DoubleEgger
    Is Tom Brady going to be the next Greg Olsen or is he going to be the next Collinsworth? 
  • WeberWho
    Is Tom Brady going to be the next Greg Olsen or is he going to be the next Collinsworth? 

Let's hope he's anyone but Collinsworth

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 8
    Making pie filling.  Bought some strawberries on sale, but they were a bit sour.  So, turning sour strawberries into handpies.

• Stormbringer
    edited September 8
    lousubcap said:
    I believe this is what's known as the cow driving the cook!
    Nearly 12 hours in … I haven’t cooked many briskets, don’t recall one rising up like this