Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    good to see you back, whisperer bait  ;)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,189
    good to see you back, whisperer bait  ;)

the meatloaf recipe is actually pretty good with the raisins, not too sure about chocolate chips. but if you are going to do it.......7 (.) seem to be better bait
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    edited September 3
    WeberWho said:
    A simple weekend job turned into a nightmare...

My family was out of town for the weekend and I figured I'd tackle our front door. That way I could shut off the AC and not really worry about the front door being off the house when working on it. 

The door itself was solid but the previous owners had something like 10 kids and it was one of the last things in the house where it showed marks from kids living in it prior. The door itself had to have 80+ little dings from kids banging crap against it. Here's a preview of the door. 

The color somewhat hid the dings and marks but we wanted to change the color up since we painted the house a few years back. 

Here's the door after I removed the paint and hours of Bondo work. 

I explained my situation to Sherwin Williams and what I was looking for. They recommended me some exterior latex paint that was something like $40/quart. They said no primer was necessary with this paint I picked up. 

This is me peeling the paint off the door Sherwin recommended. I was a little upset to say the least. Not only did the paint push and not stick but it rusted the door. (I should have known better and not listened to them. Latex is water based and flash rusted the door as it dried.) Not only did I have to remove the paint once again, I had to re-bondo all the dents afterwards. 

I brought the door over to my parents and my Dad and I sprayed it with a automotive primer. After it dried we weren't happy with the results. It was older primer and it left a heavy texture as it dried. So I had to start over again. More Bondo work! Fun. 

We bought some new automotive primer and hardener and that did the trick. Since we used an automotive primer it limits what we could use for paint. We ran it over to a body shop and they wanted over $600 to spray it. Even with us prepping it. That's was a hard pass. 

Trying to find quart of oil based paint isn't easy. The limited supply of oil paint we found were set colors and not tintable. I eventually found one little quart hidden behind a shelf corner at Home Depot. So I gave that a go. 

I used a 1/4 nap rollers and the first coat went on fine. The next day I went and put on a second coat. It looked fine going on but I noticed a few lint marks from the roller towards the end of the second coat. I hit the door at an angle with a flashlight and noticed all this crap the roller was leaving. At this point this door is cursed. So I carefully spent hours sanding out all the crap that was left behind with the roller. 

So I go back to Home Depot and buy another quart of paint and some new paint rollers. I once again put on another coat and everything looks okay. Once again towards the end the roller starts leaving crap in the paint. Not only is it leaving crap in the paint the roller is leaving microscopic air bubbles in the paint. Once again, I'm spending endless hours lightly sanding out garbage and bubbles in the paint the next day. 

I switched over to foam roller. I was hoping to leave a little texture with the nap roller in case any of my Bondo worked showed through. I had no choice and was tired of fighting this damn door.

Trust me, I would have just bought a new door slab if I knew all that was going to take place. (I would have had to build a new jamb for the door as no new door slabs would align with the hinges that were routered in the jamb.) The door was side window and would be a pain to remove to build a jamb. It would have probably been quicker than the 60+ hours I have into the door. 

The color is not for everyone. My house is dark grey with some black accents. Pretty boring. So it needed a splash of something. So I went all in with something bright. Something that was supposed to take a weekend ended up taking weeks. 

A pick of the door when it was finally done!

that took so long its time to update the color =) i hate paint

No kidding! We painted our house around 5 years ago that included scaffolding, trim, fascia, soffits, and garage door. I'd do all that again in a heartbeat over this single door. 

Fortunately it's just oil paint and easy to change out the color in a few years if we get tired of it. It should be an easy re-coat if it stays in good shape. My hope anyway...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,320

Missed that, details matter!

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,411
    Getting an early fall warning 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • Dremel'd ice scraper into paint scraper for quarter round mouldings

First rate ingenuity, right there. And if you need to clean your windshield (as many of us Canucks do time and again), you’ll absolutely have the fanciest windshield on the block. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,115
    Dremel'd ice scraper into paint scraper for quarter round mouldings

First rate ingenuity, right there. And if you need to clean your windshield (as many of us Canucks do time and again), you’ll absolutely have the fanciest windshield on the block. 
    What is an ice scraper?

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Canugghead

Matter of fact, expired flexible gift/credit cards do a better job of scraping off light frost than this rigid brass blade.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,995
    Just don't use a bucketful of hot water, like my neighbor in college did.  :lol:  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Botch said:
    Just don't use a bucketful of hot water, like my neighbor in college did.  :lol:  

My Mom and Aunt decided they were going to pull aunts truck into the shop and wash it (during winter).... Hot water hose on the windshield.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Botch said:
    A former colleague used to live in Edmonton,  AB., much colder than Toronto. Apparently folks there don't turn on defrost at max heat at the get-go.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I just got my auto insurance renewal "offer".  Went up 89%!
    No accidents, no windshield claims, no tickets, no anything.  Insurance agent said Arizona has had one of the highest general rate increases in the nation.  I might just start walking, if I cannot find a better rate by shopping.

$13,800/year

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    No accidents, no windshield claims, no tickets, no anything.  Insurance agent said Arizona has had one of the highest general rate increases in the nation.  I might just start walking, if I cannot find a better rate by shopping.

$13,800/year
    Insuring your Maybach isn’t cheap. 
  • fishlessman

$13,800/year
    When I flipped the hummer sut about nine years ago my insurance went from 1100 to 5500 a year. 5500 for a boned out 89 dodge Dakota. Allstate no more, progressive has been good to me since
    fukahwee maine

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,320
    Driving old stuff has benefits beyond the cool factor.  My '69 Chevy is under $150. for six months.  Full coverage with excess limit amounts (to satisfy umbrella policy) and a stated cash value for total loss that is pure fantasy, on the plus side.
    Also have "historical" license plates, $75. fee and they never expire.  Makes the 10-12 mpg in town more bearable.  Highway can be 20+ but somehow ends up under 15 usually.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • I just got my auto insurance renewal "offer".  Went up 89%!

$13,800/year
    Print your declaration page and take it to a local non captive agent that can compare several companies.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,966

Insurance agent said Arizona has had one of the highest general rate increases in the nation. 
    Y’all must have more than your fair share of crap drivers.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,006
    Watching Lonesome Dove - episode 4.  A friend of mine is a big fan and owns the boots that Larry McMurtry wore when he was on the set during shooting - so I'm doing it out of respect for my friend.  It will give me an opportunity to make some references to it when we get together.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,592
    @DoubleEgger

You splashed the Cobalt yet?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac

Insurance agent said Arizona has had one of the highest general rate increases in the nation. 
    Y’all must have more than your fair share of crap drivers.
    We do, plus our crime/property rates have spiked massively in the last 2 years. All of our insurance rates are raising even faster than inflation.  Correlation is not causation, but we have a mayor who came down hard on the police and prosecutors so now they don't prosecute, they just tag and release, plus we have had a very large influx of migrants who have a stacks get out of jail free cards.  For an example of what we are dealing with in the Old Pueblo read this headline, and give me your hot take (he was arrested on 3 felonies, gave a fake name, so they released him with no bond - this type of story around here is unsurprising):

• JohnInCarolina
    Ozzie_Isaac said:

For an example of what we are dealing with in the Old Pueblo read this headline, and give me your hot take (he was arrested on 3 felonies, gave a fake name, so they released him with no bond - this type of story around here is unsurprising):

Did he leave the station in a Porsche?
  • Pima county sheriffs department looks like a **** show @Ozzie_Isaac, I would be suspect of anyone who wants to run it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    edited September 5
    Catch and release is an unusual take on why your car insurance is expensive. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
     Crime rates (especially property crimes) impact rates.  Shop prices based on zip codes and you will see a direct impact.

Talking to the broker we use, they have seen a massive increase in rates this year for the entire county.

I am not saying causation, but I do find it a mighty interesting correlation.

• Catch and release is an unusual take on why your car insurance is expensive. 
     Crime rates (especially property crimes) impact rates.  Shop prices based on zip codes and you will see a direct impact.

Talking to the broker we use, they have seen a massive increase in rates this year for the entire county.

I am not saying causation, but I do find it a mighty interesting correlation.
    That is what my broker said too, when I showed her a competitors quote she was like “huh”. We ended up moving all our autos.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• She was close enough on liability and umbrella but I put her on notice lol
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman

bought a scraper yesterday to scrape grease and grunge out of the nut side of this screw. did a similar mod to match the odd screw. will be measuring the female nut on monday to find out why the new piece doesnt fit

its a giant modified thread similar to a plastic soda bottle thread for extremely high pressure
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina

So I gather the baked in assumption here is that more migrants means more crime?