Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,117
    Sitting here baking, and just had my million dollar idea.  (8:28:24 20:38 -AZ USA). 

Chocolate Chip Cookie hamburger buns!

of course expanding into oatmeal cookie hotdog buns.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,968
    Sitting here baking, and just had my million dollar idea.  (8:28:24 20:38 -AZ USA). 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754

Nah. Won’t work. Chocolate chips would get pulverized by the equipment necessary to make it into a hamburger bun. Now, could you make a cookie big enough to “make a bun”? Possibly. Wanna buy a bakery?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,190
    edited August 29

its already a vegan new england classic

Chocolate Chip Cookie Whoopie Pies  Tinas Chic Corner

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColbyLang

its already a vegan new england classic

Chocolate Chip Cookie Whoopie Pies  Tinas Chic Corner

Nah. There’s no meat in that. That’s what a confectioner calls a double doozy
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:

Nah. Won’t work. Chocolate chips would get pulverized by the equipment necessary to make it into a hamburger bun. Now, could you make a cookie big enough to “make a bun”? Possibly. Wanna buy a bakery?
    Most things worth doing aren’t easy!!  This could be baker HOF stuff!

I don’t think I could consistently get up at 3am.  Otherwise owning a small local shop could be fun.  A full blown production facility could be fun too, but that seems a lot more involved than just baking.

• ColbyLang
    edited August 29
    ColbyLang said:

I don’t think I could consistently get up at 3am.  Otherwise owning a small local shop could be fun.  A full blown production facility could be fun too, but that seems a lot more involved than just baking.
    Keep in mind. My employees aren’t JIC caliber. Genuinely good people but the dregs of society. 90% of my job is babysitting 56 adults. The baking is the easy part of the job 

edit cus I’m stooopid
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    @GrateEggspectations - We called those things Walking Sticks back when we were young.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,471
    @WeberWho- Great documentation of quite a painful endeavor.  Way to persevere thru all that.  I would not have had the patience.  Looks great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @WeberWho

I hate projects that are much more involved than first anticipated. That being said, the result is excellent, as is your usual style. 😎
  • ColbyLang
    That’s some elbow grease @WeberWho
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Braggart said:
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Keep in mind. My employees aren’t JIC caliber. Genuinely good people but the dregs of society. 90% of my job is babysitting 56 adults. The baking is the easy part of the job 

edit cus I’m stooopid
    Reminds me of a joke (have to substitute bakery owner for boat owner)...

The IRS suspected a fishing boat owner wasn't paying proper wages to his deckhand and sent an agent to investigate him.

IRS AUDITOR: "I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them". 

Boat Owner: "Well, there's Clarence, my deckhand, he's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $1,000 a week plus free room and board. 

Then there's the mentally challenged guy. He works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of the work around here. He makes about $100 per week, pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of Bacardi rum and a dozen Budweiser's every Saturday night so he can cope with life. He also gets to sleep with my wife occasionally". 

IRS AUDITOR: "That's the guy I want to talk to - the mentally challenged one". 

Boat Owner: "That would be me. What would you want to know"?
    Dam Son.  That hits really close to home.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    Wow @WeberWho I'm exhausted just reading what you went through. End result looks great!
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @WeberWho I read your story with great anticipation.  It did not disappoint.  I appreciate the never give in attitude.  That is how mine goes.

I needed to install a dishwasher and I wasn’t paying the $275 install they wanted.  I was directly replacing and existing one.  20 minutes tops.   6 hrs later it was installed.  I am
    fairly confident the built the cabinets around the dishwasher and none of the routing and existing holes worked for the new dishwasher.

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,944

The trademark start-stop phoney launch to every new season concludes this weekend. The transfer window finally slams closed so no more strategic injuries and tactical slight of hand to force through transfers - but look, it’s an international fixture weekend straight after and so no chance to show off all the new toys for 2 weeks.   

Saturday

Arsenal v Brighton, Gunners going well again and the airborne bin-dippers have proved obstinately successful.  My best hope is that the correct outcome manifests; 2-0i

Brentford v Southampton, despite the absence of talismanic striker Ivan Toney the Bees carry on regardless, again. Saints must feel like they entered the big boys room by mistake as it has not been a fun time at all for them so far. 3-0

Everton v Bournemouth, the game to watch - if you’re more interested in sub-plots and strife than actual talent. The Cherries have two draws so far - and that could carry on forever, while the Toffees have no points or goals. And we thought last season was their bad one? 0-1 

Ipswich v Fulham, first real actual proper game for the Tractor Boys after show trial-esque defeats by Liverpool and City. But the Cottagers have recruited well and will be a tough test. 1-2 after an  early goal gives hope but it ebbs away by the minute.

Leicester v Aston Villa, a midlands derby with teams in very different conditions and circumstances. The Foxes’ only ambition is to stay up, their guests are looking for Euro success and a top end finish. 0-1 

Forest v Wolves, curiously unbeaten so far Forest will be optimistic, while Wolves took a spanking last week.  I don’t see a repeat of that but the Old Gold will need to dig in and hold firm, otherwise a capitulation may occur out of habit rather than merit. 0-0

West Ham v Man City, the Hammers will not feel threatened by City as it’s either a free-hit and chance to bed in the new players, or a good time to catch them off guard and sneak a result. 1-2

Sunday 

Chelsea v Palace, just consider yourself very lucky that I even still recognise the concept of football. After two defeats, so all of the PL games so far, I am about ready to eradicate all notion of the mighty Eagles.  Then they win a mid-week cup game and buy a couple of players and now it’s day one of the holiday again and all things are possible.  Damn you.  Tough ask. 2-2

Newcastle v Spurs, identical form so far and the same for their outlooks - not helped by both having injuries to key players already. Toon are only novice players of the ‘Who can be more Spursy than Spurs’ game but this match could go very meta. 13-13, 0-0, everyone forgets their boots, and aliens land on the pitch - all those will happen. 1-1

Man Utd v Liverpool, let’s be honest - can we honestly be surprised that Utd are still a bit clown car after a Summer of such promise that has resulted in more or less that same people in the same roles.  However, their North West neighbours appear serene and therefore menacing. Let’s call them Glenn Close from now on. 1-3.

Don’t forget the Second Test at Lord’s, England pulled around a ropey start yesterday - but as we all know, a good score is only known after both teams bat. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,006
    "Man Utd v Liverpool, let’s be honest - can we honestly be surprised that Utd are still a bit clown car after a Summer of such promise that has resulted in more or less that same people in the same roles.  However, their North West neighbours appear serene and therefore menacing. Let’s call them Glenn Close from now on. 1-3."

You're probably right.  It will be 1-2 with about 10 minutes left with Man U on the front foot trying to get an equalizer.  From that point it won't surprise me if it ends 1-6...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,593
    Great job @weberwho

Thoughts of burning the house down would certainly creep into my mind during that project. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,628
    ColbyLang said:

this guy bakes..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:

this guy bakes..
    Could you add the chocolate chips just as the dough is squirted into the mold to bake, or however that is done?

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,593
    Ready for this weekend to be over. I know I am in the minority there. 

What happened to the 2024 thread? Did it burn to the ground?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    kl8ton said:
    Ready for this weekend to be over. I know I am in the minority there. 

What happened to the 2024 thread? Did it burn to the ground?
    Me too. Things change so much for the better on Tuesday. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,471
    I get the @kl8ton as this the last of big summer/tourist weekends for him and all the challenges with running the business.
    No clue re @DoubleEgger.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:

this guy bakes..
    Could you add the chocolate chips just as the dough is squirted into the mold to bake, or however that is done?
    Squirted lol.

everyone wants the same amount of add-ins throughout the entire piece of bread. Hamburger buns are baked in a pressed pan like a muffin, albeit shallower. Bread dough can’t be squirted into a pan, you’d have to add them at the beginning of the mix and hope the mixer doesn’t tear them up before the machinery does a few minutes later. You’d have some surviving both processes, but not many
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:

this guy bakes..
    Squirted lol.

everyone wants the same amount of add-ins throughout the entire piece of bread. Hamburger buns are baked in a pressed pan like a muffin, albeit shallower. Bread dough can’t be squirted into a pan, you’d have to add them at the beginning of the mix and hope the mixer doesn’t tear them up before the machinery does a few minutes later. You’d have some surviving both processes, but not many
    Never thought about it, but each hamburger bun is an individual dough ball with all the mixing and proofing, etc?  For some reason in my head I just imagined an injection molding machine, 😂

what we need are very strong chocolate chips that soften and become chewable after baking.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    billt01 said:
    ColbyLang said:

this guy bakes..
    Squirted lol.

Never thought about it, but each hamburger bun is an individual dough ball with all the mixing and proofing, etc?  For some reason in my head I just imagined an injection molding machine, 😂

what we need are very strong chocolate chips that soften and become chewable after baking.
    Divide, round, sheet. Mixing process is very violent. Roller bar mixer moving 600+ pounds of dough. Dumps into divider. Divider has “pockets” which portion, deposit and round each individual bun. Comes out round like a ball. Down a short conveyor to a series of high speed rollers set a various heights to reduce to less than 1/4” thick. Down the line and dropped into a pressed pan with anywhere from 15-32 impressions on it. Rack/proofer/oven or conveyed to tunnel proofer and then tunnel oven depending on the size of the operation 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 414
    Colby, thanks for that description. Sounds like chocolate chips could be pressed into the buns before proofing, but not easily.
    Ozzie, there are some excellent burger bun recipes on line. It would be simple enough to add chocolate chips. Personally, I don't think that would be an improvement, but try it and report back.
    Thanks!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    edited August 31
    lousubcap said:
    I get the @kl8ton as this the last of big summer/tourist weekends for him and all the challenges with running the business.
    No clue re @DoubleEgger.  
    Weekend lake traffic goes down significantly after Labor Day. Fishing starts to get better. The inferno Georgia heat and humidity subsides. And then there’s football… 

This is the last weekend of summer hell on the lake. 

I’m hoping the Georgia game keeps people away today.