Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,029
    Elijah said:
    @ikapigian when you say the bacon wrapped pickles were better than expected, did you mean they were good? 
    They were excellent, it was missing a little heat as your mind thinks “ jalapeno popper” and you get this sweet and sour … pickle was still crunchy, I will add some dehydrated jalapeno powder I use from my mash next time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    @ikapigian beef plate ribs are my favorite.  Those trimmings are freakin amazing.  Those are karmas gift for all the amazing things you do for folks.
    Thanks @Ozzie_Isaac the tuna collars were gifted as well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,471
    Regarding pickles, I take a dill pickle slice lay it on a half strip of bacon then add something on the top (whatever is available), jala slice, mini cut of brisket flat etc.  fold the bacon up hit with some seasoning and go indirect til the bacon is rendered.  Great finger food munchies.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding pickles, I take a dill pickle slice lay it on a half strip of bacon then add something on the top (whatever is available), jala slice, mini cut of brisket flat etc.  fold the bacon up hit with some seasoning and go indirect til the bacon is rendered.  Great finger food munchies.  FWIW-
    I like that !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,471
    Road racing tires on a non paved road requires serious focus to avoid the hazards.  Glad you made it w/o incident.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,603
    I could have done that back when I was 14. I once did a 70 mile charity ride back then and wasn’t phased. Ha! Almost exactly 50 years and I am currently within 100 yards of the end point.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    kl8ton said:

It was a great ride!  My butt is sore!

It is a 92 mile bike trail.  Riding to the meetup spot before and after got us all to 100+ miles each way.  Last time we rode it, only about half was paved.  This time there is only two sections about a mile long each that are not paved.
    The Century club each way is quite impressive on a standard issue bike. You all should be proud of yourselves. That’s big time. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,117
    edited August 26
    lkapigian said:
    Elijah said:
    @ikapigian when you say the bacon wrapped pickles were better than expected, did you mean they were good? 
    They were excellent, it was missing a little heat as your mind thinks “ jalapeno popper” and you get this sweet and sour … pickle was still crunchy, I will add some dehydrated jalapeno powder I use from my mash next time 
    I made some fermented pickles and I tossed a carolina reaper into the brine.  It added a real nice kick to the pickle, that might work well for these?  (Reminds me I need to make more.  My last ferment went funky--not the good way-- and pH never dropped, which was first time I have had that happen)

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    I'm copying @kl8ton from a few weeks back. A new drive belt for my washing machine. The dryer also needed a belt along with a couple new solenoids. Dirt cheap to fix yourself but Amana sure makes it interesting having to remove the water pump with little to no access for wrenching. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 773
    lkapigian said:
    Elijah said:
    @ikapigian I have a birthday party coming up 🤔 my timing is already really tight. Prepping your Mac and cheese and then Cole slaw the night before. May sous vide some chicken wings to flash fry day of and then fry some fries. If I did the pickles I'd use Claussen, @botch , think it'd be better with the halves instead of spears? I have some too thin bacon I made that's a little sweet so I cut it thin. Think thinner would be better? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,190
    lkapigian said:
    Elijah said:
    lkapigian said:
    Elijah said:
    Did shrimp horseradish and prosciutto this weekend. Horseradish goes good with pickles....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    kl8ton said:

It was a great ride!  My butt is sore!

It is a 92 mile bike trail.  Riding to the meetup spot before and after got us all to 100+ miles each way.  Last time we rode it, only about half was paved.  This time there is only two sections about a mile long each that are not paved.
    Bombdiggity!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,996
    Wow he's skinny.  The heat must be limiting his food supply.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,117
    Botch said:
    Wow he's skinny.  The heat must be limiting his food supply.  
    I think he is growing faster than normal.  He is very lanky and I think from a litter a few months ago.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    teenagers...
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,492
    Ah, gotta love Indiana. It was 53* 4 days ago. Excessive heat warnings this week. Heat indices 105-110. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,591
    Awesome. Interested why they are short ... was it the cut of meat, or was it the length you wanted (for vac packing and freezing)? I generally make them long ... cure them long ... THEN I cut them in half and freeze pack the halves.  Reason ... saves me rack space ... I do a lot of biltong at one time, and freeze them up for later use ... so I need the real-estate.

How thick did you cut them?  3/4" is where I find the sweet spot.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lkapigian
    WeberWho said:
    I picked up a non-working KitchenAid Professional 5 off Marketplace for $25. The previous owner said it would sometimes turn on. So the motor was likely good. When I got home, I plugged the mixer into an outlet and got no feedback. So I carefully removed the speed control board from the mixer. 

I removed the control switch from the other side of the board and cleaned the electrical contacts on the slide and board. 

I put the mixer back together and plugged it in hoping it was just a dirty contact switch. To my surprise it fired up or attempted to anyway. So I was able to confirm the motor was good. Since the mixer wouldn't rotate I knew it was most likely a bad worm gear. I opened up the gear housing and confirmed it was a bad worm gear.

So I threw in a new worm gear and swapped out the old grease with some new food safe synthetic grease.

Not too bad of a deal for a total price of a couple Andrew Jackson's. (It did come with a bowl and attachments but not in the photo)
    Bargain!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • @WeberWho

Love these posts. Good on you. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,939
    @WeberWho should I be surprised? right up my alley buddy, great score and fix. What's next, $150 on CL and FB?  ;)
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    @WeberWho should I be surprised? right up my alley buddy, great score and fix. What's next, $150 on CL and FB?  ;)

Maybe.  ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,060
    Basement couch naps are the best.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @WeberWho

My kind of story. Proof that fathers’ good guidance extends beyond the intentional. 

As I told @canugghead under separate cover, my father taught my electrician a trick this week. Electrician said he’d be paying him a commission going forward. 🙃 He also diagnosed an issue on my car when the mechanic couldn’t, and guided the mechanic through the repair. All in the last few weeks. My father lost his own dad at 16, which makes it all the more impressive to me.