Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,010
    Legume said:
    I love how J&J knowingly sells a feminine hygiene product that has asbestos in it, breaks that division off so there is nothing to sue and then gets millions of taxpayer dollars to produce a vaccine that will save humanity. 
    I agree with you re the ability to duck liability, that kind of maneuvering for big businesses shouldn't be be allowed. 

Also see that as unrelated to the Covid vax stuff - government can't develop their own vaccines in any reasonable time frame, I'm not sure I view the investments/grants, etc. to pharma to develop covid vaccines any differently than throwing big contracts at defense contractors in a time of war. 

Of course, if you don't believe vaccines are effective prevention, than it probably seems like flushing money down a toilet.
    I know multiple people that have been poked multiple times and they have all had the Vid..or at least tested +.  

I’ve not been jabbed and I’ve never had it.   Nor has my family, all 4 of us.   

Lucky or naturally immune?   Don’t know 
    I'm curious, have you had other vaccines? Why did you and your family avoid it, what was that based on?

I would say 1, you can't be sure you didn't have it, it's happens quite a bit, 2, good immune system, 3, lucky with exposure.

People that get the vaccine often still get Covid, but a muted response that doesn't become life threatening.

But the post was really about the government spending money on it and the point I was making is health defense spending isn't really different than military defense spending. Guns and bombs are just cooler, I guess.
    Not a felon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,966
    kl8ton said:

Getting ready for 200 miles of bicycling.
    Whoa #nextlevel
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    I love how J&J knowingly sells a feminine hygiene product that has asbestos in it, breaks that division off so there is nothing to sue and then gets millions of taxpayer dollars to produce a vaccine that will save humanity. 
    I agree with you re the ability to duck liability, that kind of maneuvering for big businesses shouldn't be be allowed. 

Also see that as unrelated to the Covid vax stuff - government can't develop their own vaccines in any reasonable time frame, I'm not sure I view the investments/grants, etc. to pharma to develop covid vaccines any differently than throwing big contracts at defense contractors in a time of war. 

Of course, if you don't believe vaccines are effective prevention, than it probably seems like flushing money down a toilet.
    I know multiple people that have been poked multiple times and they have all had the Vid..or at least tested +.  

I'm curious, have you had other vaccines? Why did you and your family avoid it, what was that based on?

I would say 1, you can't be sure you didn't have it, it's happens quite a bit, 2, good immune system, 3, lucky with exposure.

People that get the vaccine often still get Covid, but a muted response that doesn't become life threatening.

But the post was really about the government spending money on it and the point I was making is health defense spending isn't really different than military defense spending. Guns and bombs are just cooler, I guess.
    Fair question.    Honestly, and knock on wood, we are a very healthy family.   Yes, had mandatory vaccines as a child-as we all did-but none of us are nor ever have been ill.   Very thankful in that regard so my wife and I said we would not get the jab for our family.   

I’m 52 and haven’t seen a Doc since I was a child and, aside from seasonal allergies, I feel 100%.   

To each their own.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

Fair question.    Honestly, and knock on wood, we are a very healthy family.   Yes, had mandatory vaccines as a child-as we all did-but none of us are nor ever have been ill.   Very thankful in that regard so my wife and I said we would not get the jab for our family.   

I’m 52 and haven’t seen a Doc since I was a child and, aside from seasonal allergies, I feel 100%.   

To each their own.   
    Wow, never even so much as a cold or cough?  That’s incredible.
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    seven?!  Do you not know that you can change just the tire when you get a flat?
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,059
    We would have skipped it had we known that it doesn't actually prevent covid.   We went to a family reunion in Colorado and got the vax as a measure of caution around the old farts. Knowing what I know now I would have skipped it. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,470
    I am old and have expressed here before, I have never met a shot I didn't like.  I have now had eight (8) covid shots and either am asymptomatic or have never gotten the virus.  ( Family including children and now grands) have had it.  I have never limited my interactions because of any family infections.  
    The world dang near had measles eradicated (vaccine) til the non vaxcers gave it new life.
    The greater good needs to be in the calculus with these issues.  Off-mini soap box especially on Friday.
    (BTW AFAIK I have not been microchipped with the numerous jabs.)😎
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    We would have skipped it had we known that it doesn't actually prevent covid.   We went to a family reunion in Colorado and got the vax as a measure of caution around the old farts. Knowing what I know now I would have skipped it. 
    I’m not sure I understand the logic here, so help me out a little.

With the first MRNA vaccine that came out for covid, the first trials showed it was 95% effective.  So that means 5% of the people still got it. So did it prevent covid for everyone who got the vax?  No it did not.   But if your odds of not getting it after the shot are 19 to 1, why not take that bet?  What’s the downside?

Now we are in a different place, due to all the variants.  The vax shots these days are a lot like the flu vaccine, where it’s not as effective, but that it will take the edge off an infection if you do get it.  Again, what’s the downside?
  • alaskanassasin

With the first MRNA vaccine that came out for covid, the first trials showed it was 95% effective.  So that means 5% of the people still got it. So did it prevent covid for everyone who got the vax?  No it did not.   But if your odds of not getting it after the shot are 19 to 1, why not take that bet?  What’s the downside?

Now we are in a different place, due to all the variants.  The vax shots these days are a lot like the flu vaccine, where it’s not as effective, but that it will take the edge off an infection if you do get it.  Again, what’s the downside?

I was not then and am not now scared of getting covid. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,677
    edited August 24

I had a cousin who said the same thing. His tune changed after 28 days in the ICU. He’ll be on oxygen the rest of his life. 

The thing about Covid is that you don’t know what hand you’ve been dealt until you are in the middle of it. 
  • JohnInCarolina

My understanding of vaccines is that part of what you’re trying to do with them is limit the spread, so that truly vulnerable people are less at risk.  I thought most people understood this but maybe not.    
  • JohnInCarolina

I had a cousin who said the same thing. His tune changed after 28 days in the ICU. He’ll be on oxygen the rest of his life. 

The thing about Covid is that you don’t know what hand you’ve been dealt until you in the middle of it. 
    One of my friends lost his 50-year old brother to it.  The vaccine was available but he didn’t take it.  The pain the family went through over this was just immeasurable.  Losing a family member to an unexpected death is one thing, knowing it was preventable quite another.
  • alaskanassasin
    I don't know what to tell you guys. I personally knew several people who died from covid. People make their own decisions in life, get over it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    I don't know what to tell you guys. I personally knew several people who died from covid. People make their own decisions in life, get over it.
    I suspect the parents currently deciding against having their kids get vaccinated against measles have a similar perspective.  Screw the greater good, or something.  
  • alaskanassasin
    You are always right John. I wish America had 330m @JohnInCarolina what an amazing place this would be.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    You are always right John. I wish America had 330m @JohnInCarolina what an amazing place this would be.
    I don’t think I am always right, not by a long shot.  My job is one where I run right up against the limits of my brainpower every single day.

I just don’t understand the perspective.  Again, what are the downsides?  You completely ignored that question.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,470
    Once the individual prioritizes self over the greater good in these type situations everyone suffers in the long-term.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    This is stupid, if you guys want to rehash Covid19 vax, no vax, knock yourselves out, I already told you I got the shot to protect elders at a family event. I don't have to explain myself or my personal decisions to you @JohnInCarolina believe it or not I don't give a hoot what you think or anyone else thinks. I think its laughable that you would assume I have to answer your questions.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    This is stupid, if you guys want to rehash Covid19 vax, no vax, knock yourselves out, I already told you I got the shot to protect elders at a family event. I don't have to explain myself or my personal decisions to you @JohnInCarolina believe it or not I don't give a hoot what you think or anyone else thinks. I think its laughable that you would assume I have to answer your questions.
    Yes, but you also said that if you knew then what you know now, you wouldn’t have gotten the shot.

You’re not obligated to answer anyone’s questions, nobody is assuming that you are.  I’m just pointing out that you haven’t answered it.  Your view seems to be that you can post whatever you want, and that nobody ought to question it.  Welcome to America where that’s not how it works.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,010
    I thought it was just a discussion, not forcible Q&A. A discussion that stemmed from your comments about gov financial support for COVID vax that pivoted to personal participation with the COVID vax.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,115
    My wife suffers from damage in her shoulder due to an improperly given COVID vaccine from a poorly trained mass vaccination giver.  Don’t know where that lands on the scale, but she has had non-stop pain and limited mobility since round 1.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• JohnInCarolina
    My wife suffers from damage in her shoulder due to an improperly given COVID vaccine from a poorly trained mass vaccination giver.  Don’t know where that lands on the scale, but she has had non-stop pain and limited mobility since round 1.
    That sucks man.  I think that kind of thing is quite rare but I can imagine that’s not much comfort to you or her.
  • alaskanassasin
    Sorry to hear that @Ozzie_Isaac.  I really did not want to overshare but since you broke the ice, a cousins girlfriend had a stroke in her 30s a day after getting the first shot, she is now permanently disabled.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    That sucks @Ozzie_Isaac
    Sorry to hear that. I live in constant pain and have for 15 years now. It sucks, and as anyone who deals with legitimate chronic pain can attest to, the providers and pharmacies aren't necessarily kind to chronic pain patients these days, after the worst part of the opioid crisis. There's very little compassion these days for people that suffer like I do. Salt in the wound. I want to shake them and show them my medical chart, 18 major operations, 15 years on high doses of oxy, six joint replacements, a morphine pump ...more to come, etc. Now I'm still dealing with all the same pain yet they give me a only a tenth of what I've been on and I have to work hard to even get that. The dr's and FDA swung too hard in the other direction for real chronic pain sufferers. Sigh .....
  • JohnInCarolina
    My brother’s brother-in-law (no I am not making this up) was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Sydrome and there was perhaps a connection to a flu vaccine he received.

These things happen, but they’re very rare, and certainly not isolated to covid.

You can get killed out walking your doggy too, but most of us understand the risk is pretty small.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    And if you don’t know the Pacino reference, I feel sorry for you:

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,802
    Watching GA Tech give Florida State all they want and then some.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    shtgunal3 said:
    Just tuned in for the last few minutes of that.  Hats off to GT!  
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Legume said:
    Legume said:

To each their own.   
    Wow, never even so much as a cold or cough?  That’s incredible.
    Correct.   Absolutely nothing other than seasonal allergies for me.    Wife saw docs while pregnant.    Kids saw docs for routine exams.    Other than that and a broken bone by a kiddo, no docs, haven’t needed them.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    shtgunal3 said:
    Never betting against a double digit dog again. Until the next time I do. 
    Las Vegas, NV