Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,942
    Cleaning up my egging neighbors back yard as a result of the heavy winds from hurricane Debbie in our county on the east Florida coast. They are on vacation and normally I only take care of the pool but this was a surprise.
    Cut up the limbs of the large branches from this Live Oak tree and placed in the green recycle bin for pickup today.  
    Got most of it off his grass and then cleaned leaves out of the pool and the Poseidon cleaner; it filled up twice while I was cutting the limbs. Will do more after the green recycle bin is collected tomorrow. Photo does not adequately show the size of that branch; 6' tall fence with 8' sections. Hope to have it all cut and removed from the back yard before they get home from Tennessee.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,735
    Dreading Dr’s apt. tomorrow. Think he is going to tell my appendix needs to come out.  He noticed it was inflamed when I had my colonoscopy the other day.  Said I probably should t go to Mexico but what do Dr’s know?  Here’s to hoping that it isn’t mad anymore. lol
    How’d it go? I put off nagging pain for about 2 weeks. Went 75 miles offshore fishing for a day. Woke up and went to work the next morning. 2pm that afternoon I was at a Walk-in clinic on a Sunday at the peak of Covid. They sent me straight to the ER. Mine ruptured coming out of the laparoscopic incision. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,916
    Is this thing on?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    Watching the highlights of our hometown boy breaking the world and Olympics record for pole vault. Duplantis for the gold. He jumps for Sweden, his mother’s native country 
  • JohnInCarolina
    ColbyLang said:
    Watching the highlights of our hometown boy breaking the world and Olympics record for pole vault. Duplantis for the gold. He jumps for Sweden, his mother’s native country 
    That guy is in a league of his own.  He’s like the Simone Biles of the pole vault.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang said:
    That guy is in a league of his own.  He’s like the Simone Biles of the pole vault.
    Great kid, very personable when he’s in town and gets swarmed by the masses. Always has time for all of the questions and pictures and signatures 
  • ColbyLang said:
    Dreading Dr’s apt. tomorrow. Think he is going to tell my appendix needs to come out.  He noticed it was inflamed when I had my colonoscopy the other day.  Said I probably should t go to Mexico but what do Dr’s know?  Here’s to hoping that it isn’t mad anymore. lol
    How’d it go? I put off nagging pain for about 2 weeks. Went 75 miles offshore fishing for a day. Woke up and went to work the next morning. 2pm that afternoon I was at a Walk-in clinic on a Sunday at the peak of Covid. They sent me straight to the ER. Mine ruptured coming out of the laparoscopic incision. 
    Trying to schedule a CT scan now.  waiting for my insurance to approve it I guess. Think I’ll hear something tomorrow hopefully.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,403
    I would definitely not declare victory with this thread until it rolls over, declares victory and volunteers to go to the oven.  Several Frankenstein movies are famous for the phrase " It's alive."  Game on!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Great kid, very personable when he’s in town and gets swarmed by the masses. Always has time for all of the questions and pictures and signatures 
    Fun fact - this was my father’s cousin:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bragg
  • lousubcap
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina for the Don Bragg article.  I believe he was the first vaulter to clear 15' way back when.  Lost in the history of track and field greats like Rafer Johnson (decathlon), John Thomas (high jump), Wilma Rudolph (track), Al Oreter (discus) and  Harold "Hal" Connolly in the hammer throw.  
    Now old, back then I parlayed my knowledge of world class and Olympic track and field stars to win several sports trivia (before the game) bar sessions.  
    Just an old sports junkie here but every four years...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina for the Don Bragg article.  I believe he was the first vaulter to clear 15' way back when.  Lost in the history of track and field greats like Rafer Johnson (decathlon), John Thomas (high jump), Wilma Rudolph (track), Al Oreter (discus) and  Harold "Hal" Connolly in the hammer throw.  
    Now old, back then I parlayed my knowledge of world class and Olympic track and field stars to win several sports trivia (before the game) bar sessions.  
    Just an old sports junkie here but every four years...
    My father spent summers with Don working on rooftops.  Apparently Don had this system of natural vines in his backyard that he used to swing around on and it helped build up his arms.  My father said he could put three stacks of roofing shingles on his shoulder and carry them up a ladder at once.  Not an easy feat by any stretch.  

I think he is the last Olympic pole vaulter to use a metal pole.  

He was actually in the running to go to the 56 Olympics, but he broke his arm during the trials or something like that.  My father and his whole family were in attendance for that and saw it happen.  I think it was a pretty bad break.  My father would not let me do the pole vault in high school as a result of what he had seen happen to Don.  I don’t think that was all that sensible but there were a few red lines my father had with me when I was growing up and that was one of them.  Funny how I remember that.
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,787
    edited August 7
    Just realizing we haven’t seen @Carolina Q since March of 2022. Hope that all is well with that member, whose participation I appreciated. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,981
    Just realizing we haven’t seen @Carolina Q since March of 2022. Hope that all is well with that member, whose participation I appreciated. 
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1232726/in-memory-of-carolina-q
    Not a felon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,203

Sorry to share this,

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1232726/in-memory-of-carolina-q/p1
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Shamefully, I had seen that and commented back in January. My memory just isn’t all that great and because I didn’t know the member personally, I failed to make the connection. 

Thanks for reminding me. 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 773
    Anyone have advice on coaching little league soccer? Got asked at the first practice 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,968
    Elijah said:
    Anyone have advice on coaching little league soccer? Got asked at the first practice 
    Put the stands where the parents can sit on the other side of the field. 
    But if parents didn’t attend there would be nobody who cares if they win/lose.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,203
    edited August 8
    Elijah said:

Good on you for helping out. My buddy asked the parents of his son's basketball team if anyone would help volunteer coach or to help with practices. He didn't get one volunteer. All the parents did was drop their kids off and leave. He said the worst part was their parents would try and tell him how to coach their kid during games. He was constantly trying not to lose his sh!t on other players parents. 

Just you showing up and helping is huge. Hopefully you'll get a few other parents to jump in. Make sure your vocal about how it takes multiple heads to coach a team. My brother-in-law is my nieces assistant soccer coach. He absolutely loves it!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    Elijah said:
    As a guy who broke his ankle during little league soccer, no…..other than make sure they have fun. Nothing worse than a kid having a bad experience and never wanting to play again. Re: my son and little league baseball. His coach the last season he played was a giant Richard. Don’t be a Richard
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,491
    Elijah said:
    No soccer experience here but years of coaching junior league football. My advice, avoid it. Parents are cra cra. I’ve had a few moms and dads wanting to fight over little Timmy’s playtime, etc..  it’s been a number of years since I’ve done it but I doubt anything has changed 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,631
    Elijah said:
    They were trolling for suckers.  Don’t do it. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,798
    My oldest son turns 29 this month. I coached his little league baseball teams for many years. Some parents are hard to deal with and some are great. Overall, I loved it and wouldn’t change those years for nothing in the world. Those years were truly good times.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 773
    It's 8 and under so hopefully the parents aren't too bad. Didn't seem to be the first practice at least. I know the coach so that seems to have led to it. They didn't troll for suckers, only one. Me. While I want to win I definitely want them to have a good experience even more. I'll keep y'all updated. Wish me luck  :|
  • lousubcap
    @Elijah Congrats for stepping up to the challenge.  At U8 it is barely above swarm ball but the kids start to get it.
    One thing I learned very early on was the following regarding taking a shot; I asked what was the last thing they looked at before focusing on hitting the ball.  Answer- "the keeper" so their objective was to put it where he/she wasn't.  Of course that placement was not there and most shots never got on frame.  
    The solution was to shoot it at the keeper.  At least that got more shots on frame and led to increased scoring.  FWIW-from a few decades ago.  Good luck!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,999
    Elijah said:
    I would suggest that you "lean into it".  I coached my son and a daughter in soccer for similar reasons.  It ended up being a great journey with great bonding with my kids and other kids on the team.  They are all in their late 20's now and I still keep in touch with some of them.

Get the shortest book you can find on how to coach soccer.  It will have a few drills that can help the kids develop individual and passing skills and it will tell you some principles to follow.  There may also be a workshop for beginner coaches in your area where you can learn some good drills and principles.  

Some bullet points:

- Focus on skill development over winning games.  Some parents will want you to work on trick plays from free kicks, etc to win more games but skill development is more important.

- Recognize that youth soccer isn't about "soccer".  It's about learning to be a good teammate and learning to develop skills that don't come naturally and learning to receive feedback and learning how to win (graciously) and learning how to tie (an unusual thing in American culture) and learning how to lose (I always wanted the kids to be bothered by a loss for a number of minutes that is 2-4 times their age - then go about being kids again - then show up to practice remembering the loss so they would focus on getting better), etc.

- If your kid is old enough, good enough, and interested enough to be on a competitive club team, get them there so a better coach can do the training.

I could write many more pages of stuff but I'll stop there.  Feel free to reach out to me individually if you want more info.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,166
    found a wasp nest in a railing.....got me in the finger next to the knuckle. that didnt hurt much :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,589
    found a wasp nest in a railing.....got me in the finger next to the knuckle. that didnt hurt much :o
    Did you use all of the larva for fish bait?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,960
    I just figured out there's one behind the gas cap cover on my Tacoma (carport here), and trying to figure out the best method to proceed.  

I once lived just a stone's throw away from a family who all died of mysterious head injuries.