Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,004
    Braggart said:
    Botch said:
    found a wasp nest in a railing.....got me in the finger next to the knuckle. that didnt hurt much :o
    I just figured out there's one behind the gas cap cover on my Tacoma (carport here), and trying to figure out the best method to proceed.  
    Best method I have found...

Step one, prop a shop vac up against problem area, with hose as close to entrance point as possible.  Turn shop vac on.

Step two, make some noise.

Step three, leave area.

Step four, repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary.

Step five, spray some insecticide into shop vac hose (while still turned on).

Works great when dealing with nests under decks, inside BBQs, or other close quarter areas.

(Sorry I'm later to the party...just catching up after a little time away).

B
    You know, I didn't realize you were replying to Botch until your last couple of steps. The location in your signature didn't help either.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,109
    Braggart said:
    Botch said:
    found a wasp nest in a railing.....got me in the finger next to the knuckle. that didnt hurt much :o
    I just figured out there's one behind the gas cap cover on my Tacoma (carport here), and trying to figure out the best method to proceed.  

Step one, prop a shop vac up against problem area, with hose as close to entrance point as possible.  Turn shop vac on.

Step three, leave area.

Works great when dealing with nests under decks, inside BBQs, or other close quarter areas.

B
    So I didn’t read the quote you responded to, and thought you were giving shaving advice.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Does anyone know if this thread is wonky because it’s so large?  I think JIC’s comment about having a new WAYDRN thread Jan 1 each year is a good idea.   It would be DEVASTATING to lose all of the golden nuggets in this one.

It seems like someone may be trying to nuke this one, so I was wondering if there’s an easy way to save all of the info here before it’s lost forever?  Besides the information, I enjoy going back and looking at posts from the eggheads that have passed or who no longer post.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,960
    Is this thing on?  Any help here, @The_Buffalo ?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,315
    Braggart said:
    Botch said:

Step three, leave area.

B
    Step five!?  Check the label of your insecticide first to see if it's flammable.  If yes, you could potentially be dead before the wasps.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,986

Does anyone know if this thread is wonky because it’s so large?  

It is definitely wonky.  The site constantly shows it to me in Bold, indicating new posts, but usually there are no new posts (or they don't show up when I click on it).  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• OviedoGoddess
    OviedoGoddess Posts: 71
    edited August 15
    Legume said:
    Kind of also waiting for some AI pics, YouTube seems like a bit of cop out.
    The ones I’m getting for the prompts I’m giving it are kinda weird.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,453
    I could go full sailor here but forum decorum precludes any further comments other than what a peach of a target! 🍑 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    lousubcap said:
    I could go full sailor here but forum decorum precludes any further comments other than what a peach of a target! 🍑 
    Legume said:
    Kind of also waiting for some AI pics, YouTube seems like a bit of cop out.
    The ones I’m getting for the prompts I’m giving it are kinda weird.

My uncle had a cat like that. It always licked me where I was most vulnerable. Sometimes I wished that they had a dog, their tongues are much more smooth and if they licked me where I was most vulnerable, I might not even know.

I'm going to hell..

• Braggart said:
    Botch said:

Step three, leave area.

B
    So I didn’t read the quote you responded to, and thought you were giving shaving advice.
    prop a shop vac up against problem area, with hose as close to entrance point as possible.”

Seemed like legit advice for @oviedogoddess
  • Braggart said:
    Botch said:

Step three, leave area.

B
    “prop a shop vac up against problem area, with hose as close to entrance point as possible.”

Seemed like legit advice for @oviedogoddess
    I would not bring a shop vac near my cooch!  But here is what the AI engine thought this would look like.  I don’t think I should show hubby this he might get some ideas!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,986
    edited August 15
    Wasp Update.
    Had an oral surgeon checkup this morning, about 5 miles away on the Interstate, so took the truck.  At the first stoplight out of my neighborhood, I noticed a second wasp nest, behind my outside rear-view mirror.  When I got to the Dr I figured all the wasps had flown out, opened the gas cap door, and another half-dozen flew out, but they scattered and I didn't get stung.  Left that door open on my trip home, 75 mph, and there were still about 5 clinging on for dear life.  
    I parked at the end of the driveway, could see a bunch more hovering where I normally park the truck, damn they have some amazing internal GPS.  Did a quick search on EweTube and one solution to kill wasps was... blue Dawn dishsoap!  Apparently wasps have an oily film covering them, and the soap removes it and they asphyxiate or dehydrate to death, mwaaa-hah-hah-hah.  Won't hurt the truck paint or any ducklings that wander by, either.  I mixed up a 50/50 solution in a spray bottle, squirted it behind the mirror and around the gas cap, then pulled the truck back up to its normal spot.  All the hovering wasps flew back in to their nests, and I snuck out the passenger door to get back in the house.  Anxious to see if this works.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,056
    edited August 15
    dbCooper said:
    Braggart said:
    Botch said:

Step three, leave area.

B
    Step five!?  Check the label of your insecticide first to see if it's flammable.  If yes, you could potentially be dead before the wasps.
    Where were you at when I used a shop vac to clean diesel out of a fuel tank?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,492
    Putting up freezer corn. 🌽 only for me so not terrible. Swmbo has a corn allergy 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Thinking this fella should see a doctor.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper said:
    Braggart said:
    Botch said:

Step three, leave area.

B
    Where were you at when I used a shop vac to clean diesel out of a fuel tank?
    @alaskanassasin - How did that work out for you?  Were you lucky or is there a story to share? 
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    @dbCooper I will try to keep it as brief as possible allowing for context.  
     A friend gave me a truck tank, 110 gallon. He used it for bio and stored it in his garage. I put it in the back of one of my trucks and used it to fuel equipment. Right of way there was algae growing in the diesel. Plugging $20 pump filters, plugging equipment filters $50 it was a nightmare, I assumed it had something to do with the bio he had been using it for (I know that does not make sense), I bought algaecide several times and treated it, tried everything I fought this for a year at least and it kept coming back.  
     I decided one day I was going to clean the damn thing out, like get all the diesel out and rinse the tank with gasoline to start over completely.  
     The same friend gave me a old shop vacuum, the type that latched onto a metal can probably 4 Gallon, and had a 2" hose.  I didn't think anything about it, shop vacs are wet/dry, so I am sucking the dregs out of the bottom of the tank and..... BOOM! I look over and the vacuum had exploded like a bomb, no flames everywhere or anything, I think the explosion used up the oxygen, idk.  
     I told him I blew up his vacuum and he was like "yeah it was old, no problem, probably wore out" and I said no I literally detonated your vacuum, I told him what happened, he was laughing so hard I am not sure how we are still friends!   
     There was a small hole in the top of the tank for a fuel gauge or something, that was letting water in allowing the algae to grow. I shoved a plastic plug in it and never had another problem.   
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    Glad to read the vacuum was the only victim.
    Great Plains, USA
  • alaskanassasin
    dbCooper said:
    On my personal scale oh ****! I’d give it a 3. It would be a 2 but I didn’t see it coming so the event gets an extra point. 
     Do you have experience with exploding shop vacs?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    edited August 16
    I can only think of one time that I actually almost was killed instantly. It feels weird typing that and if you want the story it will have to be around a camp fire some time. I will say unless you experience it you will never understand the levity.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper said:
    On my personal scale oh ****! I’d give it a 3. It would be a 2 but I didn’t see it coming so the event gets an extra point. 
     Do you have experience with exploding shop vacs?
    @alaskanassasin - Only second hand, from a 8th grade shop teacher with scars.  Lots of what he taught stuck with me, life lessons not just metal shop.
    Hopefully I get invited to the campfire, can share two immediate death escapes and as a bonus have inadvertently screwing a boat to its trailer, then trying to launch.
    Great Plains, USA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    I can only think of one time that I actually almost was killed instantly. It feels weird typing that and if you want the story it will have to be around a camp fire some time. I will say unless you experience it you will never understand the levity.
    One immediate death experience? Rookie. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    We used a shop vac to catch shavings from an ICBM kinetic interceptor attached to the first stage of a ballistic missile.  There was an issue with a part and we needed to modify it in-situ.   We had to wrap a copper braid around the house and ground it.  Apparently there was the potential to set off the rocket propellant.  Fortunately all went well and the modification worked and no FOD got into critical areas.  Did make for some funny photos though.  A guy in a white smock standing on a cheap fiberglass ladder with a hacksaw literally sawing a part in half while attached to the missile.  With blue surgery looking towels, kapton tape everywhere and a shop vac.  This was a multi-billion dollar test asset 😂

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,944

Having been starved of any action for months, other than the Euro’s, Copa America, Olympics and pre-season games back to back- I can now confirm that light at the end of the tunnel wasn’t a train coming the other way, it was the return of PL football.  

First point of order is the transfer window being still open for two weeks.  To understand that, you need think like a standard football fan : ‘spend £100m on that 19 year old Argentinian immediately and why is the club broke, the owners are idiots’ 

Here we go;

Friday

Man Utd v Fulham - perplexing Summer for Utd who are gradually morphing in to Ajax. The new owner;  Sir Lord of the Jim Ratcliffe has brought that much needed gasoline to the smouldering bin fire that was Man Utd. Game will be poor and we will learn little 2-1 is the very best we can hope for.  

Saturday

Ipswich v Liverpool - the story of the Tractor Boys heyday in the late 70’s / early 80’s was truly epic. For reasons unknown a great manager and several really very good players washed up at Suffolk’s finest inland port (12 miles from the sea!) and birth place of George Orwell. Magic happened. It ended. Then just a mere four decades later, they’re back!  Let’s hope they enjoy a rollicking good time, despite the very likely meagre points haul come May. 4-0 would be great 0-4 more realistic. 

Arsenal v Wolves - stroll in the Summer sun. 3-0

Everton v Brighton - two teams facing uncertain seasons, will the Toffees put their troubles behind them? Will the fetid wretched Seagulls become to future of football, again, or stabilise in lower mid table? Side note, the new Seagulls manager is Fabian Hürzeler aged 31 - that’s right, a PL manger younger than one my own children. He was previously with St Pauli which is a German team well worth a Google.  1-1

Newcastle v Southampton - welcome back, Saints. Long journey North for no return, 3-0.

Notts Forest v Bournemouth - the 15th place play-off and likely to yield little of interest. 0-0

West Ham v Aston Villa - both have two word names and play in claret and blue.  Both see themselves are serious players this season, but Villa could pay the Europe tax while West Ham won’t be needing their passport.  Decent game of offer here. 1-2

Sunday 

Brentford v Palace - usually a draw, pick any of 0-0, 1-1, 2-2 

Chelsea v Man City - both clubs face a reckoning on the money naughty step.  According to the charges Chelsea’s former owner used elaborate pathways to fund some transactions while Citeh drove a coach and horses through the rules.  115 times.  Outcomes anticipated in the coming months.  1-3

Monday 

Leicester v Spurs - welcome back to the Foxes, and as ever - any of the many Spurs incarnations will greet them. 0-2

Go on, admit it - you’ve missed it really. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • alaskanassasin
    I guess you get used to it @Battleborn stay safe my friend.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,003
    CPFC1905 said:

Having been starved of any action for months, other than the Euro’s, Copa America, Olympics and pre-season games back to back- I can now confirm that light at the end of the tunnel wasn’t a train coming the other way, it was the return of PL football.  

First point of order is the transfer window being still open for two weeks.  To understand that, you need think like a standard football fan : ‘spend £100m on that 19 year old Argentinian immediately and why is the club broke, the owners are idiots’ 

Here we go;

Friday

Man Utd v Fulham - perplexing Summer for Utd who are gradually morphing in to Ajax. The new owner;  Sir Lord of the Jim Ratcliffe has brought that much needed gasoline to the smouldering bin fire that was Man Utd. Game will be poor and we will learn little 2-1 is the very best we can hope for.  

Saturday

Ipswich v Liverpool - the story of the Tractor Boys heyday in the late 70’s / early 80’s was truly epic. For reasons unknown a great manager and several really very good players washed up at Suffolk’s finest inland port (12 miles from the sea!) and birth place of George Orwell. Magic happened. It ended. Then just a mere four decades later, they’re back!  Let’s hope they enjoy a rollicking good time, despite the very likely meagre points haul come May. 4-0 would be great 0-4 more realistic. 

Everton v Brighton - two teams facing uncertain seasons, will the Toffees put their troubles behind them? Will the fetid wretched Seagulls become to future of football, again, or stabilise in lower mid table? Side note, the new Seagulls manager is Fabian Hürzeler aged 31 - that’s right, a PL manger younger than one my own children. He was previously with St Pauli which is a German team well worth a Google.  1-1

Newcastle v Southampton - welcome back, Saints. Long journey North for no return, 3-0.

Notts Forest v Bournemouth - the 15th place play-off and likely to yield little of interest. 0-0

West Ham v Aston Villa - both have two word names and play in claret and blue.  Both see themselves are serious players this season, but Villa could pay the Europe tax while West Ham won’t be needing their passport.  Decent game of offer here. 1-2

Sunday 

Chelsea v Man City - both clubs face a reckoning on the money naughty step.  According to the charges Chelsea’s former owner used elaborate pathways to fund some transactions while Citeh drove a coach and horses through the rules.  115 times.  Outcomes anticipated in the coming months.  1-3

Monday 

Leicester v Spurs - welcome back to the Foxes, and as ever - any of the many Spurs incarnations will greet them. 0-2

I have definitely missed it @CPFC1905.  I'm traveling tomorrow so I won't get to just sit in my recliner and watch all the games but I'll catch as much as I can with airport and airplane wifi.  

As for today's match, as mentioned in a previous post, I have no expectations of Man U challenging the top teams over the course of the season but I am thinking they have become as Spursy as the Spurs and that the best version of themselves will show up on opening day - to try to make their fans forget the revealing of the truth that they saw in the Community Shield match.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Prelude to a night out. Happy weekend, all!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,003
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:

Here we go;

Friday

Saturday

Sunday 

Monday 

I have definitely missed it @CPFC1905.  I'm traveling tomorrow so I won't get to just sit in my recliner and watch all the games but I'll catch as much as I can with airport and airplane wifi.  

As for today's match, as mentioned in a previous post, I have no expectations of Man U challenging the top teams over the course of the season but I am thinking they have become as Spursy as the Spurs and that the best version of themselves will show up on opening day - to try to make their fans forget the revealing of the truth that they saw in the Community Shield match.
    While the ultimately pulled it out, clearly I was wrong.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Prelude to a night out. Happy weekend, all!

Pre-drink.  That’s how you do it!