Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,751
    Botch said:
    found a wasp nest in a railing.....got me in the finger next to the knuckle. that didnt hurt much :o
    I just figured out there's one behind the gas cap cover on my Tacoma (carport here), and trying to figure out the best method to proceed.  
    Definitely a flame thrower. I hate wasps
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,109
    Botch said:
    found a wasp nest in a railing.....got me in the finger next to the knuckle. that didnt hurt much :o
    I just figured out there's one behind the gas cap cover on my Tacoma (carport here), and trying to figure out the best method to proceed.  
    Fire. 🔥 

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,751
    This thread is still wonky 
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 178
    well .... you have a handy source of gasoline .... 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,960
    ColbyLang said:
    This thread is still wonky 
    Yep.  I think we need to put a steak* through its heart and kill it (sorry Ozzie).

*pun intended
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Simmering sauerkraut.  Probably overkill, but fun.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,986
    edited August 9
    Yeah, my twuck is old, but all you guys wanting to shoot fire at my gas cap...
    This used to be a much friendlier place...   :tongue:  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 313
    Elijah said:
    It's 8 and under so hopefully the parents aren't too bad. Didn't seem to be the first practice at least. I know the coach so that seems to have led to it. They didn't troll for suckers, only one. Me. While I want to win I definitely want them to have a good experience even more. I'll keep y'all updated. Wish me luck  :|
    I coached soccer teams from u8 thru high school, best era in my life.  With u8 the coach needs to know the proper way to strike the ball (not kick), spend appropriate time on that, remembering that their attention span is not going to be that long.  An advantage is virtually (then, don't know about now) every kid knew how to play keep away, that will keep from playing "magnet ball" and let them run, play and have fun.  FUN is why they are there!  As they progress, set up 10ydx10yd grids that you can monitor and place 3v1 players and explain to them if they can't see the ball, the player with the ball can't pass it to them.  Teach them to take up as much room in the grid as possible.  As the coach progresses he will be wishing that he had a corporate sponsor and got to pick his team from an orphanage, One advantage of u8 is young moms, the disadvantage is if you like it like I did and want to move up to the next age group, as the kids get older, so do their moms.  Hope you have as much fun as I did, but most importantly, make sure the kids have fun!
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,587
    Elijah said:
    Anyone have advice on coaching little league soccer? Got asked at the first practice 
    I've coached hockey for over 12 years ... from little guys to 18 year olds.
    The 8 - 14 year range is actually pretty good ... after that they stop listening, lol.

I also play soccer, and have for several decades.

For a younger group ... don't make practices too complicated.  I learned the hard way.
    If you try and jam in too many concepts and skills into one practice, no one remembers anything.
    Focus on ONE objective ... and use a few key words ... like OK guys today we are going to work on
    our defense.  Defense is key to winning games.  Then have 2 key defensive drills ... one would be
    when you're already in the defensive position,  how to get the ball out and form an attack (don't just kick the ball out, look for a player on the sidelines, don't pass in front of your own goal) ... and the second drill would be you've just attacked, and lost the ball ... how to get back fast into the defensive position.

Just two drills, one concept ... and I'd honestly do it for a few practices, with minor shifts in complexity as they "get it" ... and keep using the key "buzz" words ... Defensive positions, Defensive break out ... etc.  Cause in a game, you will only have those words ... "Remember guys, get back into defensive positions like we practiced, if we don't have the ball"
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,591
    Botch said:
    Fire. 🔥 
    At night they are dormant (at least the variety I deal with are). Open cover at night and knock nest out. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 395
    Elijah said:
    It's 8 and under so hopefully the parents aren't too bad. Didn't seem to be the first practice at least. I know the coach so that seems to have led to it. They didn't troll for suckers, only one. Me. While I want to win I definitely want them to have a good experience even more. I'll keep y'all updated. Wish me luck  :|
    I hate to tell you this, but when my kid was in 3 year old soccer, we had two dads almost nearly come to fisticuffs on the sideline. You'd think with them being so young, everyone is just there for a good time and for their kids to burn some energy, but that's unfortunately not the case.
  • Botch that old Tacoma is a gold mine on the bring a trailer auction site!!!
  • Botch
    Botch that old Tacoma is a gold mine on the bring a trailer auction site!!!
    Yes, it's held its value.  I bought my '08 in '08 with 17,000 miles on it (supposedly a couple got engaged and they didn't need two of them, or that's what I was told...), right now it only has 60K on it, and is immaculate 'cept a ding on the tailgate and a buzzy gas cap.  
    My mailman has asked to buy it from me twice now, and every time I take it to the dealership for oil I get asked if I'd be interested in trading it in.  I don't gig in a band on weekends nor ski anymore; once I get too old to haul hardwood/plywood into the basement, I won't need a truck and I'll sell it then.  But not a day sooner!  

• With that timetable Botch you can wait until the next outdoor freezing temps kill the wasps and nest!  

I don’t have an opinion or info if the foaming wasp sprays that say “non staining” would stain the truck paint. But in your situation I would open the fuel door and spray with water from a pretty good distance. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    With that timetable Botch you can wait until the next outdoor freezing temps kill the wasps and nest!  

I don’t have an opinion or info if the foaming wasp sprays that say “non staining” would stain the truck paint. But in your situation I would open the fuel door and spray with water from a pretty good distance. 
    Next time you fuel up, just spray with the gasoline.  Two birds, one stone.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,960
    Had to put the gold medal soccer match on at work:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    edited August 9
    I've had wasps build nests behind my outside rear-view mirror in that truck before, twice now.  What I did those two times was get into the truck quickly, leave the windows up and drive off, and in the first half-mile or so a few more crawled out and were blown off.  Cycled the mirror full up/down/left/right, a couple more crawled out, then parked a mile away and scraped out what I could with some coat-hanger wire.  

When I drove back into the driveway, they were there waiting.  A couple dozen were circling angrily in the space where the mirror normally was, even though the truck wasn't there anymore.  Wasps have some incredible internal navigation going on, and its not based on local objects, the "object" wasn't there anymore, but they knew the precise x/y/z coordinates of where their nest was supposed to be (I've seen this before when trimming trees/bushes in the yard).  I parked the truck at the end of the driveway and went in thru the front door.  

I'll be doing the same here, as soon as I heal up a bit more (adverse reaction to something after my gum surgery).    

• Wasps win battle, lose war
  • zaphod
    last year I had a beautiful one build up on the back fence. All mottled shades of gray and dark purple. It got to be about basketball size before the trash pandas got it.

I'll spray and kill them if near the house, but on the back fence they didn't bother anyone. well, maybe my neighbours. But they're moving - I am sure that is just coincidence.
    ~~
  • zaphod
    edited August 9
    Had to put the gold medal soccer match on at work:

Nice monitor.
    ~~
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,600
    Healing up. It looks like the hotel that I stayed at last weekend washed their sheets in regular Tide or Gain instead of hypoallergenic. I have a rash from my toes to my belt buckle, fortunately missing an important area. Probably will need Benadryl for a couple of more days. This happened 2 years ago when I stayed at a cabin in Tennessee.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    My sister sent me this photo.  Apparently she was part of a group that sang the National Anthem at the DBacks game tonight, lol!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    That is a crazy story!!  She had to have been convinced, probably someone else too, because $1400 for an under weight mule at auction is crazy.  Glad she did though!!  I recognize the breed, think they were Ghengis Khans horses where domesticated from that breed.

I would love to know how they wound up here though?  That is completely bizarre.

• Healing up. It looks like the hotel that I stayed at last weekend washed their sheets in regular Tide or Gain instead of hypoallergenic. I have a rash from my toes to my belt buckle, fortunately missing an important area. Probably will need Benadryl for a couple of more days. This happened 2 years ago when I stayed at a cabin in Tennessee.
    Sounds uncomfortable, but at least you were shown some mercy with respect to the geography.wishing you a speedy recovery.  
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,492

IYKYK
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    A guy, 2 neighborhoods down from me, has a big car collection.   He just bought Uncle Rico’s van (Napoleon Dynamite).   Delivered yesterday.  

Haha!  That is my kind of collector!!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,004
    Hide your Tupperware 
    Not a felon
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,236
    Cooking a rotisserie chicken with Wonderbird rub 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------