Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• I am getting all Canadian on my fridge.  Storms blew it down the patio and ripped the door almost completely off.  Time for some hammers and JB Weld.

Looked like a pretty big event from some of your photos. Hope you suffered no more than some minor damage. 
  • Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 175
    Yeah yeah, I used to not but I kinda like the results. Just threw a few chunks each of pear and pecan wood in a bag of water before the butt goes on tonight. 

Michigan pear wood is delicious with pork FWIW. Peach wood eludes me but I want it.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,986

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Acn said:
    Had brunch

Chilaquiles and? Everything looks great. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,960
    edited August 3
    Takakkaw Falls

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,960

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,109
    Acn said:
    Had brunch

Nice!!  Love Chilaquiles and black beans for brunch!  Or breakfast, or dinner, or supper, or lunch, or a snack!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Ozzie_Isaac

Used a garlic press for the first time.  Threw it in the trash.  Didn’t like the flavor it gave the garlic!  Not mellow at all, over powering and tastes almost like my poor garlic was crying!  Like it died with to much adrenaline in its system.

• Campbell2N

Used a garlic press for the first time.  Threw it in the trash.  Didn’t like the flavor it gave the garlic!  Not mellow at all, over powering and tastes almost like my poor garlic was crying!  Like it died with to much adrenaline in its system.
    It has its place. Mostly for sauces. I hate washing it though. 
  • Campbell2N
    Seasoned butt about to go on. Weird cut from the butcher.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,716
    @JohnInCarolina. John you are certainly having an experience of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Botch
    I have a La Crosse weather station in my bedroom, had it 5~10 years, gives me inside/outside temps, humidity, BP, clock, calendar et al.  This morning I woke up and the clock said nearly 9 am (!!) I really overslept.  Got up, and all my other clocks said 7 am.  I looked at the Time Zone and it had reset to EDT; but, the whole LCD screen was different.  Same data but different graphics, fonts, and colors.  Apparently they updated the software via wifi overnight.  
    I had no idea a company that makes sub-$100 weather stations would update their OS, particularly on something so old.  But they did.  

• Just got through separating and bagging a case of roasted Hatch green chili’s. Love it when the stores around here roast them. Came up with 50 bags. Will last us until next season. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Just got through separating and bagging a case of roasted Hatch green chili’s. Love it when the stores around here roast them. Came up with 50 bags. Will last us until next season. 
    I can smell that photo!!  So good!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Botch said:
    I have a La Crosse weather station in my bedroom, had it 5~10 years, gives me inside/outside temps, humidity, BP, clock, calendar et al.  This morning I woke up and the clock said nearly 9 am (!!) I really overslept.  Got up, and all my other clocks said 7 am.  I looked at the Time Zone and it had reset to EDT; but, the whole LCD screen was different.  Same data but different graphics, fonts, and colors.  Apparently they updated the software via wifi overnight.  
    I had no idea a company that makes sub-$100 weather stations would update their OS, particularly on something so old.  But they did.  
    I prefer for the weather station to be outside, then I put the display unit inside the house.  My readings are a lot more accurate.

• Campbell2N
    Botch said:
    I prefer for the weather station to be outside, then I put the display unit inside the house.  My readings are a lot more accurate.
    @Ozzie_Isaac ?
  • Campbell2N

Vanilla reply fail. What weather station do you have @Ozzie_Isaac
  • Ozzie_Isaac

La Crosse Weather Station from Costco. Pretty basic: Wind, Temp, Humidity.

They make some really cool weather stations with all manner of sensors, but with 350 days of sun annually, I only really need wind and temp.  Our humidity ranges from <1% to about 25%, so outside of monsoon season that is just kind of neat to have.

• Campbell2N

They make some really cool weather stations with all manner of sensors, but with 350 days of sun annually, I only really need wind and temp.  Our humidity ranges from <1% to about 25%, so outside of monsoon season that is just kind of neat to have.
    Nice! I was one level below the fictional characters in the original Twister movie for a minute so I guess you’d call me a weather geek. I have a Davis Vantage Pro2. It’s wonderful to have out in the field next to the old school analog rain gauge. We look at it constantly. 
  • Just got through separating and bagging a case of roasted Hatch green chili’s. Love it when the stores around here roast them. Came up with 50 bags. Will last us until next season. 
    I can smell that photo!!  So good!
    Yessir. The entire house smells like New Mexico right now. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Ozzie_Isaac

Nice! I was one level below the fictional characters in the original Twister movie 😂😂😂😂 for a minute so I guess you’d call me a weather geek. I have a Davis Vantage Pro2. It’s wonderful to have out in the field next to the old school analog rain gauge. We look at it constantly. 
    My dad used to be heavy into the weather stations.  He was always tinkering and calibrating.  He tried to get me to go down that rabbit hole, that was one I managed to avoid.  It is pretty amazing what they can all do and how they can link to other stations and stuff.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,453
    Quasi weather geek here as living in the Ohio valley brings the whole package.  Fortunately not considered in "Tornado Alley" (likely the definition is changing) but have had two roll thru within 3 miles in the last 3 months.  Last time one got closer than that (0.75 miles) was in 2017 and that was closest in 40 years.
    If I wasn't so old I would graduate from a  portable electric generator to "whole home" but I will be history before the ROI works.  Am looking to upgrade my "BOHICA" bend over, here it comes again set up but then default to Mother Nature is a Bit-h.  
    Now-hatch chilies:   I saw the signs last week but no product here in flyover country.  Can't wait although the season seems earlier every year...There could be a good off-topic conversation right there.  (Thread preservation move.)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch said:
    Nyuk-nyuk, wise guy.  If I'd put the "outside" weather station portion in my bedroom, it'd be reporting High Winds, poor visibility/Air Quality, high humidity and High Chance of Thunder virtually every morning.  :tongue:  

Oh and THANKS @Hook_emHornsfan_74, for the head's-up on Hatch chile.  This is like 2 or 3 weeks earlier than normal, and I still need to clear out a space in the basement and buy a small chest-freezer!  I normally buy just a bushel each year, but someone on this forum (associated with a chile salsa brand) talked about dunking freshly-roasted into ice, instead of a garbage bag to steam, and claimed the chiles' flesh stays much more firm, and I want to try that.  Buying two bushel this year, just in case.  

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 178
    The weather forecaster lies. you know what doesn't lie? The window. The window always gives me the most accurate weather.

A few years back I read an article on basic weather forecasting based on looking at the clouds and the sky. Without diving into absolute measurement (%humidity, temp, etc) looking at the sky can be remarkably accurate, sometimes more than the weather forecast.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • Botch
    lousubcap said:
    Quasi weather geek here as living in the Ohio valley brings the whole package.  Fortunately not considered in "Tornado Alley" (likely the definition is changing) but have had two roll thru within 3 miles in the last 3 months.  Last time one got closer than that (0.75 miles) was in 2017 and that was closest in 40 years.
    My first AF assignment was 5 years in Dayton, within the Ohio Valley.  Two weather anomalies for that place, for me: my first spring I got very anemic and weak, very sore throat.  Dr's appointment within a week (socialized medicine, just sayin') and learned that I had a high allergy to one of the pollens in the area, and Dayton was one of the worst places in the nation for it.  AF Antihistamines (free, socialized medicine, just sayin') kept me healthy the next four years.  
    Second anomaly:  I was so cold every winter in Dayton.  I grew up in SD, went to college in IA and SD, but Dayton killed me; the near-constant winter temp was 30-32º, but it was very humid; that kind of cold just seeps into your bones, and I ended up taking a hot, soaking bath every day after work.  A three-year stint at Grand Forks ND (avg winter temp -20º F over a ten-week period) didn't bother me at all. "It's not just the cold, it's the humidity!"  

Tornados.  Sioux Falls was sorta in the "tornado alley", I saw three while growing up (one, during an Air Show, of all places), one north of Grand Forks, and my closest experience was here at Hill AFB.  I was returning to the office from the gym, ~ 3:00 pm, on my motorcycle, and the sky was that sickly green again and the winds ferocious.  Going up one street, a huge limb broke off a tree and hit the street in front of me; had it happened 2 seconds later, I don't think my helmet would've been enough.  Was completely soaked by the time I got back to the office, and learned of the tornado that just went thru.  Started riding home about 5, but my normally 20-45-minute commute was over 2 hours (had to stop for gas!) and I kept seeing that the path of it was aimed right at my place.   :o   Finally got home, my power and 'netz had been blown down, but no other damage.  The twister badly damaged a home two blocks south of me, and destroyed another, but then it lifted up.  I've lived here 28 years now, and this was the second of two tornadoes to hit UT in that time, that I know of.   

• Dreading Dr’s apt. tomorrow. Think he is going to tell my appendix needs to come out.  He noticed it was inflamed when I had my colonoscopy the other day.  Said I probably should t go to Mexico but what do Dr’s know?  Here’s to hoping that it isn’t mad anymore. lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,600
    Back in college I noticed that my roommate hadn’t finished his assignment which was atypical. When he stood up he was sweating in a heavily air conditioned dorm room. He was aching in the classic place for a bad appendix but thought that he was constipated and had taken a laxative. I reminded him that he had health insurance and talked him into driving him to the infirmary. I sat down with my calculus book and waited. Next think I knew he was in an ambulance. I hopped into my Beetle and followed them to the hospital. I gave them his father’s name( unique last name) but he wasn’t answering the phone. I told them that anyone in that area code with that last name was a close relative but they couldn’t reach anyone. Then I told them as his roommate to either take my authority or his own word to operate. They fiddled around until his appendix burst and he ended up staying in the hospital for 9 days. Of course all of this was pre cell phone days .