Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,775
    edited May 27
    Options
    Back yard range here, I have a bench on wheels and backstop set up at 100 yds. I don’t shoot very often, mostly when people visit or when my nephews want to.  I have a .17 HMR dialed in and I can smack a whistle pig between the eyes when he makes a hole in my bean field.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,775
    Options
    People hunt coyotes quite a bit around here but I’ve never had a problem with one so I don’t see a reason to.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I have an Sig M400 that I bought for my duty rifle. I love it. I too have been looking at SBR’s. I don’t think I want to go with a handgun round though. The Sig MCX looks fun. 
    Maybe 10mm, loaded the right way.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,397
    Options
    Dobie said:
    I have an Sig M400 that I bought for my duty rifle. I love it. I too have been looking at SBR’s. I don’t think I want to go with a handgun round though. The Sig MCX looks fun. 
    Being LEO do you have some cool places to shoot? 

The attraction to 9mm subs is that here you can shoot on pistol ranges with plates and less restrictions on movement.
    Rifle calibers are stuck on the bench. That and ammo cost of course. 
    Can people legally just go out in the dessert and shoot? 
    Our department range is fantastic. It is an outdoor complex and we have like 13 ranges or “bays”. One of those is a “long” range. Four of them have timed, turning targets. I am fortunate enough to be able to use our Mount Charleston resident officer range on occasion. It’s up in the mountains. The only downside to that range is that is also where the Department of Wildlife dumps that burros and other animals that hit by cars. 

Most of the dessert is accessible to go a shoot in, there are some restrictions close to the city. 
    That’s awesome, I figured you had access to some super training areas 😎
    Jacksonville FL
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,538
    Options
    Two ranges here. One private, 400 acre soybean field. We have berms and targets set at 100, 400 and 750 yards. Wife’s family land. Other is a members only 1000 yard club with various stages of qualification. Standard guys can shoot pistol, trap, and rifles out to 300 yards. Qualification for 750 and 1000 required. This club has over 1,000 paying members. It can get a bit hectic come hunting season and waiting for the rifle range to go cold. Weekdays are your friend! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,327
    Options
    Bumped the temp on the gasket less XL.  Ran pretty much 210 all night.  Not sure what shifted but it had been stable for hours at 240. I had planned to wrap around 5am, but now will be later by probably 3 hrs.  I even put it on at 5PM yesterday hoping for a long rest. Since it is just the fam today I will probably push eating time to accommodate.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 27
    Options
    Drinking a Pina Colada, eating sausage and biscuits, and smoking a brisket.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,731
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I’d do just about anything for that sandwich right now, and I just finished eating.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,685
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Never mind, I just realized your base is not skinny like my original design so the bottom piece probably won't fit between the spines. Perhaps try rotating the base 90 degrees but stay at the 3 o'clock spot and see if it makes any difference? This is a solution looking for a problem, lol :blush:
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,685
    Options
    Bombdiggity!
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,408
    Options
    What is the circled item? Asparagus wrapped in something? 

That plate looks amazing. I’m jealous. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,894
    Options

Asparagus like a Popper lol

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Battleborn
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Fantastic. I’m going to steal that when I start seeing asparagus. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Lay the bacon on a flat surface slightly overlapping rolling the asparagus tightly vs trying to wrap 1 piece of bacon at a time 
    Do you par cook either before?
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,752
    Options
    The asparagus deal is a great new appetizer for me. Sweet!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,307
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Lay the bacon on a flat surface slightly overlapping rolling the asparagus tightly vs trying to wrap 1 piece of bacon at a time 
    In my experience, the asparagus is cooked to death before the bacon is done. I started using prosciutto instead. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 28
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

In my experience, the asparagus is cooked to death before the bacon is done. I started using prosciutto instead. 
    I prefer to humanely off my asparagus.  Cooking to death is against the Geneva convention.

Although, I agree most vegetables wrapped in bacon tend to overcook.  I like to partial cook the bacon or cook at a higher heat.

I guarantee Larry’s was perfect though.  Not hard for a God Tier cool like him, unlike us mere mortals.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

I prefer to humanely off my asparagus.  Cooking to death is against the Geneva convention.

Although, I agree most vegetables wrapped in bacon tend to overcook.  I like to partial cook the bacon or cook at a higher heat.

I guarantee Larry’s was perfect though.  Not hard for a God Tier cool like him, unlike us mere mortals.
    “Humanely offing” veggies. 🤣 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    That was my plan @GrateEggspectations

I think the high airflow of the offset is what makes this work well, I do not par cook the bacon and it crips well without overcooking 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Battleborn
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

LOL. One of my best memories growing up in southern Idaho, was “hunting”
    for asparagus on the banks of canals. Unfortunately there isn’t any real waterways to do that here. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,923
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I think the high airflow of the offset is what makes this work well, I do not par cook the bacon and it crips well without overcooking 
    The last time I did bacon wrapped shrimp in an offset the bacon took a long time to crisp and the shrimp were way overcooked.  What temp are you cooking at in the offset that is good for bacon?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:

The last time I did bacon wrapped shrimp in an offset the bacon took a long time to crisp and the shrimp were way overcooked.  What temp are you cooking at in the offset that is good for bacon?
    shrimp/scallops  does better direct heat, I do set these top rack right of the barrel right @ the outlet of the firebox , this cooker settles in 275 in the middle of the barrel, probably 300+ but I don’t really measure, thin sliced bacon, I even cook sliced bacon on there for toppings, crisps up fine…the asparagus is almost creamy but not in an “ overcooked vegetable way 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,922
    Options
    maine game warden went full throttle in reverse this weekend into the starboard side of my boat. fortunately my boat is built commercial and meant to take a pounding in the rocks pulling lobster pots. almost knocked my 81 year dad out of the boat. amazing how they change their tune from theres no registration sticker on your boat to have a nice day and quickly take off........wondering how much he had to drink, never had the time to ask =)   wondering the consequences if i accidentally  rammed his boat..........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it