Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,451
    Options
    Tree stuff
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,345
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Ummm, that is an enormous tree!!
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,784
    Options
    Looks like a load of pine/work!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,397
    Options
    Vacuuming in preparation to mopping. It’s incredible what all th dog stuffed under the tv stand or the furniture.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,046
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Earlier today met with @thetrim (live and colour (nod)) in Bradenton, FL.  Good times.  We did not cross the Navy-Army pi$$ing contest line.  
    Bradenton is very pretty.  Love seeing forum peeps meeting up!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,625
    Options
    Not sure how I did it, but I threw my lower back out, bigly.  
    Only done it once before, the summer school before my Sr. year; I had three classes in the a.m., lunch with some classmates, then 26 olympic laps at the college pool (after diving in on the low dive).  Dr. chewed me out because I was probably diving wrong, prescription pills that I had no money for.  
    Eventually (2 days) could walk again, caught up with school, and quit diving (still swimming), until Fall semester.  Dayam I looked good in a speedo (at least from the neck down).
    Tuesday morning this week I took a whiz at 5 am, I felt great.  Got up for the day at 6 am, and my spine just... contracted in the shower, and I couldn't stand up straight nor bend down, all day.  The lawn should've been mowed Monday.
    Today I couldn't even shower, and the lawn still needs mowing.  I was laying on a heating pad and popping aspirin all afternoon, and stretching; tonight I can get out of a chair and bend over, but I still can't stand up straight.  Hopefully I'll be able to mow tomorrow.  
    I can't figure out at all what happened; this sucked.  
    My PSA:  don't get old.  It sucks.  

"In the high school halls, in the shopping malls,

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,230
    Options
    @Botch - take it slow and easy recovering.  Way too easy to re-injure.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    edited May 30
    Options
    I'll set the Honda mower to "1" walking speed tomorrow, that should do it (plus give it time to cut/mulch my mini-forest).  

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,543
    Options
    No good @Botch, my wife has lower back issues. Chiropractor definitely helps get her moving again, but it takes a couple of sessions. She also has her own TENS machine that she uses fairly frequently. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sorry to hear, @botch. Although it is an empty offer at this distance, if I was in the vicinity, I would mow for you. Take it easy, and let go of the small stuff while you recover. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,951
    edited May 30
    Options
    Botch said:
    Only done it once before, the summer school before my Sr. year; I had three classes in the a.m., lunch with some classmates, then 26 olympic laps at the college pool (after diving in on the low dive).  Dr. chewed me out because I was probably diving wrong, prescription pills that I had no money for.  
    Eventually (2 days) could walk again, caught up with school, and quit diving (still swimming), until Fall semester.  Dayam I looked good in a speedo (at least from the neck down).
    Tuesday morning this week I took a whiz at 5 am, I felt great.  Got up for the day at 6 am, and my spine just... contracted in the shower, and I couldn't stand up straight nor bend down, all day.  The lawn should've been mowed Monday.
    Today I couldn't even shower, and the lawn still needs mowing.  I was laying on a heating pad and popping aspirin all afternoon, and stretching; tonight I can get out of a chair and bend over, but I still can't stand up straight.  Hopefully I'll be able to mow tomorrow.  

have had sciatica most of my life, started when i was around 16 and lasted til i was about 55.  ibuprofen was my friend ;) 3 in the morning, 2 two hours later, then 1 every two hours til bed time. oddly when i stopped pain killers and started a diuretic for bp it all went away.........picking up a piece of paper, a sneeze, or tying my shoe could take me out 6 to 9 months at times, hope that never comes back. college days i would have the strongest guy in the frat house (SWABA, sargent with with a big arms) punch me in the lower back to null the pain. if he held back he would find himself head first in a barrel..... =). anyways, aspirin didnt work, ibuprofen if you can take it and stage it out, continue it a few days after the pain is gone to keep the swelling down to make sure. sports medicine was fun, didnt work at all. anyways my doctors advice was ibuprofen and grin and bear it........hope it gets better, lower back nerve pain is horrible, not nice like spraining a muscle in your back
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Options
    fishlessman said:
    ibuprofen was my friend ;) 3 in the morning, 2 two hours later, then 1 every two hours til bed time.
     anyways, aspirin didnt work, ibuprofen if you can take it and stage it out, continue it a few days after the pain is gone to keep the swelling down to make sure. 
    Thanks, I searched my med cabinet and did find a bottle of generic ibuprofen; it had expired ten years ago but it hadn't been opened yet so let's hope it's still fresh   =)
    Pain's like it was yesterday, can't stand up straight; sent out a request for quotes for a lawn mowing or two.    

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,394
    Options
    @Botch lower back issues are no fun. I’ve had my share of issues due to degenerative disc. Cold/heat therapy, TENS, muscle relaxers and a couple rounds of PT have me pretty good….knock on wood. When I have an episode I have to lay on the hard floor and do some twists and stretches to get me going again. Just my experience but you may check out some YouTube lower back exercises/stretches
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,375
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    @Botch lower back issues are no fun. I’ve had my share of issues due to degenerative disc. Cold/heat therapy, TENS, muscle relaxers and a couple rounds of PT have me pretty good….knock on wood. When I have an episode I have to lay on the hard floor and do some twists and stretches to get me going again. Just my experience but you may check out some YouTube lower back exercises/stretches
    @Botch couldn't agree more.  After having had 2 back surgeries in the past 7 years for herniated discs, I do what ever I can to alleviate the pain.  I actually ordered a TENS off of Amazon and I love it.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Botch
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I did real good after I retired about continuing to go to the gym twice a week, and lifted 1/2 the weights on the ab machine, and the whole stack on the lower back machine; never had any kind of lower back issue at all.  
    For six weeks.  Then COVID hit and I've just been deteriorating ever since, need to get back to the gym and build back up, once this heals.

Had to look up what TENS is, never heard of it before.  Inexpensive, but I'm gonna try just heat, ibuprofen, and laziness rest at first.  Thank goodness that, once I'm IN bed, it doesn't hurt at all and I can sleep okay.  Thanks again guys.    

Be cool, or be cast out"  

-  Rush, Subdivisions 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s beer-o-clock thirty!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Earlier today met with @thetrim (live and colour (nod)) in Bradenton, FL.  Good times.  We did not cross the Navy-Army pi$$ing contest line.  
    It was great spending some time and having a couple $2 Americal Legion beers w you. 

It was a blessing to meet up. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Hook_emHornsfan_74 Posts: 1,375
    Options
    So what's new today?  Anything happening?  lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,776
    Options
    It's party time-NYC 12 come thru!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,951
    Options
    Yes....beer makes it bearable.  Botch, it sounds to me that it's more a pinched nerve problem. The pinch swells the muscle and keeps it pinched, the pain keeps you from doing something stupid, the ib reduces the swelling and hopefully unpinches the nerve in time. Usually clears up within a week or two for those with a normal spine and have no real injuries. Sports medicine always put me on a stationary bike to help move the nerve back into a normal position
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,403
    Options
    @Botch
    Agree with Fish sounds like a pinched nerve. I had one a few months ago and tried laying off it for almost a month as I had a physical coming up anyway. Got a steroid pack and dramatically improved the first day and back to normal in a week. Shouldn’t have suffered for 3 weeks but I’m hard headed.
    Call your Doc. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,156
    Options
    @Botch - Been there and hope you get relief soon. 
    In the past I've researched home remedies on the web.  Best sounding one was get a geisha girl in spike heels to walk on your back.  That was beyond my means so never tried it.  Being a farmer you can prolly afford two of them.  😁
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,451
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Ummm, that is an enormous tree!!
    It was about 130 ft tall.  My tree trimmer cut off  a branch... and it was hollow, infested with ants. Tiiiimmmberrrrrr!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Botch said:
    Bummer! Take it easy and recover!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,776
    edited May 31
    Options
    I was gonna offer comments but figured they could challenge the pulse of this thread. Changed course.
    Over to OT and CHEETO indicted thread.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Figuring out how I’m going to spend my OT money from Riot season. We have some real potential brewing. 
    Sorry to disappoint you, but there won’t be one.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,413
    Options
    Figuring out how I’m going to spend my OT money from Riot season. We have some real potential brewing. 
    Sorry to disappoint you, but there won’t be one.
    That’s true. Different age groups. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 590
    Options
    Anyone have the bourbon slushie recipe handy? The search function on this site has somehow gotten worse. 

Haven't made them in far too long, it's time to change that.