Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    Options
    Figuring out how to repurpose a broken PS as a half moon stone 

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    ^^^^ Looks like a winning deal right there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    SWMBO is out of town for a few days so it’s Bourbon and The Big Lebowski tonight 

I took this picture of my brother several years ago. It was after a long night out. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Up past my bed time watching an absolute gem of a hockey game. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Lit said:
    kl8ton said:
    Lit said:
    Kids and I have been watching a finch nest under our back porch and noticed no mom bird for multiple hours and an egg in the nest. Made a incubator with the kids and gonna see if we can get it to hatch. Got it dialed in at 99-100 degrees with holes in the sides and top and put it over a tray of water to increase the humidity. 
    With chicken eggs,  they need to be rotated on intervals.  Check it out. Can't remember exactly.  I know this isn't a chicken. 
    I didnt find finch specific info but alot of birds it said to rotate the eggs 3 times a day.
    Yes it was 3 or 5.  Had to be an odd number.  Why do 5 if 3 is just as effective?  I always thought it was just magic that they all would hatch at the same time.  All 24 or 48 eggs or whatever was in the incubator.  Keep us posted!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Another Da, Another 28 Tri tip 

@lkapigian
     I will be doing a similarly large cook in a couple of weeks.  

I get why someone might do this for a regular dinner or a smaller event - because 10+ pounds of brisket is more than some might need - so cooking a tritip or two would be a great substitute.

But for a large event - why is 28 tritips better than 5-7 (or whatever) briskets?  Because you don't have to cook overnight?  Anything else?

Thanks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:

@lkapigian

I get why someone might do this for a regular dinner or a smaller event - because 10+ pounds of brisket is more than some might need - so cooking a tritip or two would be a great substitute.

But for a large event - why is 28 tritips better than 5-7 (or whatever) briskets?  Because you don't have to cook overnight?  Anything else?

Thanks.
    @Foghorn for Ease of Slicing and Serving, I don't want to Hand Slice Brisket for 200...That being said, I do Brisket as well, but ( shhhhhh) i use a slicer, Brisket pre cooked, chilled, sliced cold and warmed......never know it wasn't done that day 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:

@lkapigian

Thanks.
    @Foghorn for Ease of Slicing and Serving, I don't want to Hand Slice Brisket for 200...That being said, I do Brisket as well, but ( shhhhhh) i use a slicer, Brisket pre cooked, chilled, sliced cold and warmed......never know it wasn't done that day 
    Do you hand slice the tritips?  Or have a slicer on site?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    Lit said:
    Kids and I have been watching a finch nest under our back porch and noticed no mom bird for multiple hours and an egg in the nest. Made a incubator with the kids and gonna see if we can get it to hatch. Got it dialed in at 99-100 degrees with holes in the sides and top and put it over a tray of water to increase the humidity. 
    If the nest was just built, and the egg was new, then it’s best to leave it alone. 

A wild bird’s egg can sit or be viable for a week or more before the mother begins continually incubating it, and it can be left unattended for many hours during the first few days after it is laid before she starts sitting on it continuously. 

Just as likely it wasn’t abandoned. 

Hope you didn’t basically kidnap her egg. 

Unrelated but sorta related: unattended “baby” wildlife is rarely abandoned. Lots of people rescuing small animals, because they don’t see the mother, are doing more harm than good. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:
    Foghorn said:
    lkapigian said:

@lkapigian

Thanks.
    Do you hand slice the tritips?  Or have a slicer on site?
    @Foghorn I use a slicer on everything, either on site or before depends on the event, sometimes I just transport in Cambro's 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @CPFC1905,

Italy 1-0 over Turkey?

France win the Euros with Ngolo Kante once again being the best player on the field that very few really appreciate - but he allows Pogba to be Pogba and that does get appreciated by most?

Belgium find a way to disappoint - because playing to their potential and losing in a shootout to France in the final would be even more humiliating?

England uphold tradition and get eliminated in a shootout shortly after the group stage?

Other predictions for Euro 2020 - in 2021?

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Lit said:
    If the nest was just built, and the egg was new, then it’s best to leave it alone. 

A wild bird’s egg can sit or be viable for a week or more before the mother begins continually incubating it, and it can be left unattended for many hours during the first few days after it is laid before she starts sitting on it continuously. 

Just as likely it wasn’t abandoned. 

Hope you didn’t basically kidnap her egg. 

Unrelated but sorta related: unattended “baby” wildlife is rarely abandoned. Lots of people rescuing small animals, because they don’t see the mother, are doing more harm than good. 

I read all that before i took the egg. She had been incubating them for atleast 4-5 days where she wasnt leaving the nest and then she was gone from 6am till early
    afternoon before we took it. The egg was more than likely dead already since the mother wasnt regulating the temp but i thought the kids would enjoy it anyways.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @CPFC1905,

Italy 1-0 over Turkey?

France win the Euros with Ngolo Kante once again being the best player on the field that very few really appreciate - but he allows Pogba to be Pogba and that does get appreciated by most?

Belgium find a way to disappoint - because playing to their potential and losing in a shootout to France in the final would be even more humiliating?

England uphold tradition and get eliminated in a shootout shortly after the group stage?

Other predictions for Euro 2020 - in 2021?
    Can’t fall out with any of that. 
    But there’s a counter view that Denmark are the hidden threat and Portugal will implode in spectacular fashion. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Taking a defensive driving course online. OMG this is my punishment for a dumb mistake that was fully on me (went straight in a turn lane) but good lord what a time suck

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Options
    Took the kids to hone their corn hole skills at a local brewery.
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    Options
    So you're the parent that drags their kids to the bar. Classy. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • Lit
    Options
    They have an outdoor hang out area with fire pits and a dog walk park its not a bar. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options

@Eoin - saw this and thought of you.  Apologies to everyone else for the light touch on the third rail.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,313
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Lit said:
    They have an outdoor hang out area with fire pits and a dog walk park its not a bar. 
    If the kids have wild dogs and fire to play with, then it’s all good. 😉

(edit: I kidd. I have taken my children to breweries, where they have played with trucks and the like while wifey and I have enjoyed a beverage.)
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    I’ve taken mine as well. They enjoyed playing life size Jenga and corn hole.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    "Life-Size Corn Hole" WBAGNFARB.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    “Corn hole”
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sitting at the airport. It has been too long since I have been in one to get away.   Glad to get back on the travel wagon.  I missed the excitement of planning and anticipation of what is ahead.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    9:15 tee time with some buddies. Gonna be a bit humid. Already 81° 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    Options
    Got up a few hours back to start prepping and decorating for wifey and little man’s birthdays. Going to have a small family gathering. Pork butts going on in a bit. 

Nice, happy BD to your swmbo and little guy. Btw, June babies are the best  ;)
    canuckland
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Yard work. I feel like I am in Costa Rica. Hot as balls 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2021
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Yard work. I feel like I am in Costa Rica. Hot as balls 
    It has hit out of nowhere. It's mid June in North Texas and we haven't hit 90 this year yet until today. That's extremely unusual. Normally we would be in the 100s and would have been at 90 or above since early May

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Expecting slightly above 90*F here today (second time this year) but the humidity is the killer right now.  
    Edit: beats cold and snow any day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It has hit out of nowhere. It's mid June in North Texas and we haven't hit 90 this year yet until today. That's extremely unusual. Normally we would be in the 100s and would have been at 90 or above since early May
    I was talking to my brother and a couple of friends of mine yesterday about that very thing. Normally we are well into the 90’s in May. Today will be the 3rd day this year that we hit the 90’s. Extremely unusual. With that said, I’m sure the 90’s are here to stay until October. But it was nice while it lasted. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.