Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Paint all your pallets blue.  No one will ever buy them on the used market.
    Options
    Calculated Risk Update Framing Lumber Prices Up 150 Year-over-year
    Options
    Bought more plywood yesterday.  Trying to find a good place to store it 

be careful who you buy from, someone stole all my wood pallets this weekend, they left the scrap steel behind
    Guy I'm buying my cypress and plywood from loves me.  He's an old cabinet maker in his late 60s.  He wants to teach me how to use the old-school shaper machines and sounds like he wants to put me in his will.

All this stuff is locked up with steel doors, cameras and alarm and just a few blocks from the police station.  Not worried at all about crime.

never thought to put the pallets indoors, police and firestation within a few hundred yards and the neighbor has cameras facing my yard. cant get a good look at the thief and he snuck up from a walking rail trail from the back, worked hard for it. thinking pallets are an easy sale right now, left all the big ones

I have heard it all now.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    I worked at a place in Raleigh and once a week someone would swing through and take our pallets and wooden crates, nobody knew who they were, they didn't have permission. I spoke to them once and they were hauling them off to sell to a mulch yard.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I worked at a place in Raleigh and once a week someone would swing through and take our pallets and wooden crates, nobody knew who they were, they didn't have permission. I spoke to them once and they were hauling them off to sell to a mulch yard.

ive always found free ones when needed, a place that makes cans for cocacola and a sheet metal spinning manufacturer. im going to have to keep my eye out now looking. who would have thunk it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    probably the hard wood pallets would make good lump
    Options
    probably the hard wood pallets would make good lump
    Isn’t that what Cowboy is made from?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Another Wedding Cook 

You cater? I must have missed some posts. 
    @GrateEggspectations yes , but just select events and referral only ...we really miss the competitions more than anything as those have not started back up here yet 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    @DuckDogDr, Yikes!  Glad you all got out of there unscathed.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Options
    Just finished the 1hr-45min Apple WWDC Keynote, there were rumors of some hardware announcements (which haven't happened before and didn't this time either).  I sat thru the whole thing anyway, with three takeaways:
    1)  We live in amazing, amazing times,
    2)  I'm very glad I upgraded from Android to iPhone a couple years ago, and
    3)  I'm very disappointed and frustrated that, even with 15-20 hours invested over the past 3 weeks, I still can't get my Audi/iPhone/Carplay to work with Google Maps, even though its been enabled for a couple years now.  Parking lot appt with the local Best Buy/Geek Squad set up for Thursday morning...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Botch said:
    Just finished the 1hr-45min Apple WWDC Keynote, there were rumors of some hardware announcements (which haven't happened before and didn't this time either).  I sat thru the whole thing anyway, with three takeaways:
    3)  I'm very disappointed and frustrated that, even with 15-20 hours invested over the past 3 weeks, I still can't get my Audi/iPhone/Carplay to work with Google Maps, even though its been enabled for a couple years now.  Parking lot appt with the local Best Buy/Geek Squad set up for Thursday morning...
    Strange, I've got google maps set as the default map when using Apple CarPlay in my VW ID4. Of course both my vehicle software and iPhone have the most recent updates. It's worth trying anyhow.If I remember right, I just typed in an address on the iPhone directly while it was hardwire connected and CarPlay was running, an dhe screen asked if I wanted to use google maps as my goto navigation. 
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @Botch definitely got our blood pumping. Coolest part of the whole deal...the last 15 foot of the ascent we had a pod of dolphins move in....at least in my mind they were protecting us, whether they were or not
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    organized 
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Gulfcoastguy said:
    ...If I remember right, I just typed in an address on the iPhone directly while it was hardwire connected and CarPlay was running, and the screen asked if I wanted to use google maps as my goto navigation. 
    VERY good to know, Audi is part of the VW Group.  I haven't tried typing the address into my phone directly, and saw a EweTube two days ago where the guy stated into the Audi Voice Control, "Navigate, using Google Maps, to the nearest scotch tape store".  
    I'll try both of these tomorrow; thanks much, @Gulfcoastguy !  

I will say at this point, my whole life I've been under a curse on "software", just as a few people cannot wear a watch, they just stop running when they're worn, be it mechanical or electronic.  I could crash anything, often (when I retired Jan '20, my IT department actually presented me with a coffee mug that said, "I stumped the IT Dept"; I'm not kidding).  

Will let you guys know what happens, tomorrow.  

• Botch
    edited June 2021
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    @Botch definitely got our blood pumping. Coolest part of the whole deal...the last 15 foot of the ascent we had a pod of dolphins move in....at least in my mind they were protecting us, whether they were or not
    There have been many recorded incidences where that has happened; some dolphins look out for us just as some of us look out for them.  And I think the reason they "laugh" at us every time they surface, is that they watch our national news, somehow...   =)

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Botch said:

Just to rule out anything obvious, you are using an official white Apple branded charging cable right? My CarPlay will not work with 3rd party cables. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    Just came off the Egg:

Just cut a couple of slices off this slab for morning bacon.  It's incredible.  On the one hand, I'm thankful that my first attempt at homemade bacon worked out very well.  On the other, I don't know why I waited this long to try it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Just came off the Egg:

Cold smoked a whole belly? If so, what’s the ambient over there on the east coast? It’s 82° this morning and humid in Louisiana. I think I missed the cold smoke window until the fall
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Been busy grandparenting and garden planting lately.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Been busy grandparenting and garden planting lately.
    That's a good life, Gary. Give the grandspring a big squeeze from Houston, TX :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

My new wallpaper.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Just came off the Egg:

Cold smoked a whole belly? If so, what’s the ambient over there on the east coast? It’s 82° this morning and humid in Louisiana. I think I missed the cold smoke window until the fall
    Bombdiggity!!!...........I do my   cold smoke @ night even in the summer , it will be fine ...ideally in the fall but I've had no issues when its a bit warmer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Just came off the Egg:

The money shot pic is nice, but I like these even better.  Hoping you do a dedicated thread next time with details and more pics.   🙂
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Just to rule out anything obvious, you are using an official white Apple branded charging cable right? My CarPlay will not work with 3rd party cables. 
    I'm using the official black Audi branded charging cable, but will give this a try too; thanks!  

• Botch
    Options

Misadventures with Best Buy - The Sequel

I tried typing an address into GM on the phone, nope.  Tried saying, "Siri, use Google Maps to navigate to scotch tape store"; nope.  Tried a white Apple cable; nope.  

I should've let this dead dog lie, but I couldn't.  Early this afternoon I raised the white flag, typed "Geek Squad near me" into Googlez.  Got the Riverdale location, dialed their number, it's disconnected.  Drive down to it, stand in line, and they ask "Do you have a reservation?" No, how do I make one, your phone is disconnected.  They show me on the Best Buy website where to go, and send me home.  

Set up an appointment, and the computer screen freezes.  Refresh, and got spinning photon races in the 3 closest locations.  Refresh again, finally got an appointment at 2:20.  It's 2:10, sh*t!  

Squad Geek listens to my story, I show her all the spots on my phone I fooled around with, showed her a written list of the responses from my Audi, and she starts clicking the screen, a few "hmms", clicks some more, gets on her laptop; at the 15-minute point she goes, "I think I almost got this," at the 20-minute point (the max length of the appt) she said, "You had everything set up right, I cycled the "Allow my Location" switch (I had, a couple times); try it in your car, and if it's still not working, visit our Geek Squad guy in the back bay, it may be an Audi issue".

It's still not working.  Visit back bay GS guy, he says bring your car around.  Single car he's working on, its owner is fast asleep (not good).  Single car is being backed out as I arrive (yay!) and soon GS guy is in the passenger seat.  I plug in the phone and get the message "When safe, set up Carplay in Google Maps on your phone" on the Audi screen.  He looked at it and said, "I've never seen this before..."  

If I had a quarter for every time I heard that phrase from an IT guy, I'da retired ten years earlier.  No one on EweTube ever saw that message, either.  

He futzed around with it for 15 minutes, and then said, okay, try that.  Success!  I have Googlez Mapz.

The sad thing is, I have no idea what was set wrong, once again.  I guess I can take solace that it took TWO Geek Squad kids a combined 35 minutes to solve my problem.  I guess.  FML.