Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thanks, forgot I could have done that
    HeavyG said:
    This is exactly what she did, updated yesterday.

A quick OCR to avoid neck pains :) :

Moussaka

(courtesy of @nolaegghead's wife)

2 large eggplants
    1-2 large onions, chopped
    6 toes garlio, minced
    2 lbs ground lamb
    4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    2 (14 oz.) cans petite diced tomatoes
    ½ cup chopped fresh herbs (definitely include parsley, but whatever else you want!)
    3 fresh large tomatoes (or 5 Roma), thinly sliced
    salt and ground blaok pepper, Aleppo pepper, crushed Red pepper to taste

Topping:
    2½ cups plain Greek yogurt
    4 eggs
    5 oz crumbled Feta cheese
    2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Peel eggplant if desired, or peel stripes down them. Cut into ¼" thick slices. Spray baking sheets with cooking spray and spread slices on sheets. Spray top of slices also. Bake at 400F, turning once, until soft and turning brown. Alternatively, you can salt and 'sweat" the eggplant slices in a colander, then pan fry lightly in oil.

2. Heat 3-4 Tbsp oil in a large heavy pan. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft, but not browned. Add lamb and cook over high heat until browned.

3. Stir in the flour until mixed and starting to thicken. Add the canned tomatoes, herbs and other seasonings to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 350F. Layer half the eggplant slices in the bottom of a large, deep Lasagna pan (you may want to halve or quarter the slices to make serving/eating easier). Next, add a layer of tomato slices.

5. Top the slices with half of the meat/tomato mixture, then repeat the layers of eggplant and tomato. Cover with the remaining meat/tomato mixture.

6. Beat together the yogurt and eggs (by hand is best just until well mixed), then mix in the Feta and Parmesan cheeses. Pour the mixture over the top of the dish and spread it evenly.

7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. (You may want to broil for a couple of minutes at the end to brown the surface). Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.

thankyou, that was not working well with my vertigo
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That looks delicious @nolaegghead ! Haven't made moussaka in years, so thanks for the recipe.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    will be making this soon, love moussaka and all the ingredients can be found dumpster diving at the golden corral
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323

Nothing tops off a meal like a drizzle of some blood of a virgin.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Tiger blood
    Tiger blood

Two excellent sauces right there!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @CPFC1905 - Brisket on a stick right there.  Great looking ribs going in as well.  Nailed 'em.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    MasterC said:
    Split this beautiful 2.5"x2" 16oz ny strip with Mrs.C  We compromised with 132° ; she calls it medium-rare, I call it medium, so she doesn't think it can moo. 
    Fantastic looking steak!
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead

I thought you were making lemonade???🤓
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Yes.  It seemed the perfect thing to go with a triple batch of brownies and 60 molasses cookies for 2 people...   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Foghorn said:
    Yes.  It seemed the perfect thing to go with a triple batch of brownies and 60 molasses cookies for 2 people...   :)
    For a minute, it sounded like you banished her to the other end of the house... then proceeded to eat everything yourself. Glad to hear that you decided to cook for her, too. 

Hope she's feeling better by now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    For a minute, it sounded like you banished her to the other end of the house... then proceeded to eat everything yourself. Glad to hear that you decided to cook for her, too. 

Hope she's feeling better by now. 
    Thanks @caliking.  She's about 80% better.  I tested negative this morning - figured it was appropriate to get tested since I'm working 36 hours starting tomorrow morning.  I picked up some wings at HEB to cook for her today as that is her favorite.  We're staying at least 10 feet apart at all times.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX