Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    @SamIAm2 - oh my.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Looks great. Impressive cook.
    I was expecting either a whipped cream or vanilla ice cream topping-guess that's round two.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Breakfast of the Year, right there!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    The plumbing remodel was quite impressive, this beats that in many ways.  Nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    edited May 2022
    @JohnInCarolina, @lousubcap, @Botch, @dbCooper - thank you all for your comments. I got this recipe at an Eggfest a few years ago from The Queen of Green-Marcia Simmons, of Clearwater, Fl. Her casserole was always a hit at the Florida Eggfest, even if the proportions were smaller than my serving this morning. Sort of the reason I grabbed the recipe!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    SamIAm2 said:
    @JohnInCarolina, @lousubcap, @Botch, @dbCooper - thank you all for your comments. I got this recipe at an Eggfest a few years ago from The Queen of Green-Marcia Simmons, of Clearwater, Fl. Her casserole was always a hit at the Florida Eggfest, even if the proportions were smaller than my serving this morning. Sort of the reason I grabbed the recipe!
    How about the recipe.  I'm about 4 weeks out for my blue berry row to take off. That dish looks great
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    SamIAm2 said:
    @fishlessman - hope you have enough berries for this casserole from your row of plants. Also, that compote works well over Vanilla ice cream.

Local Florida BlueBerry French Toast Casserole

(The Queen of Green-Marcia Simmons, Clearwater, Fl) 

Ingredients for Casserole

• 1  Loaf of day old french bread, cut into 1 inch squares
    • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
    • 2 cups of Fresh Blueberries
    • 12 eggs beaten
    • 2 cups of milk
    • 1 teaspoon of vanilla 
    • 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
    • 1/4 teaspoon of mace
    • 1/2 cup maple syrup

Ingredients for Blueberry Compote Topping

• 1 cup of sugar
    • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
    • 1 cup of water
    • 2 cups of fresh blueberries
    • 1 tablespoon of butter

Instructions

1. Lightly grease a 9x13” pan suitable for the grill, or line an aluminum half pan with parchment paper.
    2. Arrange 1/2 of the bread cubes in the dish and top with the cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 2 cups of blueberries over cream cheese and top with the remaining bread cubes.
    3. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, mace, and maple syrup. Pour  the mixture over the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
    4. In the morning, preheat Big Green Egg for indirect cook at 350 degrees. While BGE is heating up take casserole from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for up to 30 minutes.
    5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the center is firm to the touch and the top is browned.
    6. While the casserole is cooking mix the water, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring it to a boil stirring constantly and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
    7. Add the two cups of blueberries to the water, sugar, cornstarch mixture and reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. When the berries burst, add the butter.
    8. Pour the compote over the casserole, serve, and enjoy.
    Thanks,. I get enough that a neighbors friend makes wine and it still makes for too much.  I have several types of high bush along the river and two native strains that are all over the yard. the person that makes the wine shows up with a five gallon bucket

fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hamburger helper and ground wagyu last night.
    edited May 2022
    Pulled pork taco with torch seared jalapeno guoda and guacamole salsa. Served with jalapenos and onion sautéed in baklouti  green chili pepper fused olive oil and mac-n-cheese.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Hamburger helper and ground wagyu last night.
    Is that you lit?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• @SamIAm2

Beautiful looking dish there. Thanks for sharing your photos and the recipe. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    @SamIAm2

@GrateEggspectations thank you - @fishlessman will have berries in about 4 weeks and he lives a bit further south than you so I was wondering how long till you can get fresh blue berries to make this dish. Sent you a PM.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • fishlessman
    SamIAm2 said:
    @SamIAm2

@GrateEggspectations thank you - @fishlessman will have berries in about 4 weeks and he lives a bit further south than you so I was wondering how long till you can get fresh blue berries to make this dish. Sent you a PM.

end of next month but maybe sooner, everything seems to be ahead a few weeks right now
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    SamIAm2 said:
    @SamIAm2

I'd like to try this too, sadly August 1st is our normal picking window here, and we are way behind so far this year. Opening walleye season tomorrow, and some of the lakes are still iced up!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    This is the kind of thing I need to be doing on the egg.Thanks @Great_EGGspectations for the inspiration .
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • This is the kind of thing I need to be doing on the egg.Thanks @Great_EGGspectations for the inspiration .
    Thanks, John.

Great recipe that’s loads of fun. I added honey to bring out the sweetness of the onions, pineapples and garlic. 

Just reducing now. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    This is the kind of thing I need to be doing on the egg.Thanks @Great_EGGspectations for the inspiration .
    Thanks, John.

Great recipe that’s loads of fun. I added honey to bring out the sweetness of the onions, pineapples and garlic. 

Just reducing now. 

May have to try that. Thanks
    Btw, why not maple syrup 😉
    canuckland
  • This is the kind of thing I need to be doing on the egg.Thanks @Great_EGGspectations for the inspiration .
    Thanks, John.

Just reducing now. 

Too expensive!! 😉
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    Thanks, John.

Just reducing now. 

I love every part of this.  I think I'm going to have to add this to my "to do" list!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Thanks, John.

Just reducing now. 

Too expensive!! 😉
    Haha, stocked up at $5.99 🤪

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @Wooderson - great cook and skill set right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 350
    lousubcap said:
    @Wooderson - great cook and skill set right there.  

Thank man.  Something totally different from our normal cooks and the payoff was enormous