Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Just broke out a case of fresh overalls. Getting ready for Spring 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    edited March 2021
    @WeberWho, I started reading your post and thought "distributor cap", but, I didn't think vehicles used those anymore (and you did mention not seeing any codes).  
    Glad you fixed it; what year is your truck?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Botch said:
    @WeberWho, I started reading your post and thought "distributor cap", but, I didn't think vehicles used those anymore (and you did mention not seeing any codes).  
    Glad you fixed it; what year is your truck?  
    It's a 2007 Ford Ranger. I've had a couple of them now. Knock on wood but they've been very reliable. Very basic trucks but you would think it would have thrown a code with it being ignition. It was sporadic at times where I had no issue under heavy load. That's what had me head scratching. That's why the fuel pressure and ignition had me thrown off. That's why I was thinking I could be getting too much air with the timing. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    @WeberWho great story with happy ending, nice job!
    canuckland
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    WeberWho said:
    I replaced my plugs and wires on my truck month or so ago as I was getting a pretty serious missfire. I replaced the plugs and wires and the missfire went away......or so I thought. 

I noticed a few days later that I was still getting the slightest missfire what seems to be in 2nd and 4th gear when under heavy load. Nothing like the previous missfire before but enough to know that the plugs and wires weren't the only culprit. Ugh!

I wasn't getting any dash lights or any codes to come up on the scanner for any hints. My next thought was maybe a couple plugged up fuel injectors. I had my doubts as the misfire wasn't always guarteed with hard acceleration but I ran some seafoam through the gas tank hoping it would help. No such luck. I removed the plugs and checked them with a plug gauge to see if I was in tolerance. A couple spark plugs were out of tolerance and I reset them. I placed the plugs back in and went down the road to see if helped any. No such luck. A few days later I pulled the plugs as I wasn't very confident with the cheap plug gauge I have. So I pull out the feeler gauge to double check the plug gauge. All within tolerance. I pulled the cable terminals off the battery as I noticed the positive post was all gummed up under the cap. Knowing that the battery doesn't necessarily do a whole lot and that the alternator does all the heavy lifting I figured it needed to be cleaned up anyway. I soaked them and cleaned them up like new and tossed them back on the battery. Took the truck down the road and still getting a missfire. I only assumed that wasn't it. 

I replaced the air filter a month or so back and was wondering if it had something to do with it. Highly doubtful but thinking it maybe was letting too much air in and the timing was off or that my MAF air sensor needed to be cleaned. That was going to be my next guess until I came across a new ignition cap that someone posted on Craigslist. The seller had it listed for $10. The place he bought it from sent two. So I offered the guy $5 as his post was a month old and I figure not too many other people were looking for new ignition caps. (I think they're closer to $40+ new and I wouldn't feel all that bad on a  $5 part that didn't work) He said sure. It also helped that it wasn't even a mile away from where I work. I tossed it in this morning and what do you know.....I have a smooth running truck! I really didn't think it would be a faulty ignition cap as I would assume it would throw a code of some sort. Nope. What a mess. I only found a few fourms saying it could be the ignition. Both those forum posts said their ignition caps had hairline cracks in them. My cap didn't have any physical evidence of cracks or something visually broken. So I didn't have much faith as it being my culprit. 

I'm ecstatic that I don't have to bring the truck in the shop. Especially with no codes popping up or dash lights. That wouldn't have been much fun for anyone. 
    I do the long posts around here! 

But I actually read all of yours - so you win😁
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Pacing after a rye blind taste testing that just wrapped up.  Definitely a varied and enjoyable exercise. Turns out that the Parker's Heritage won it for me.

Now to throttle back to enable the run thru the Zoom/Speakeasy evening.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    CPFC1905 said:
    WeberWho said:
    I replaced my plugs and wires on my truck month or so ago as I was getting a pretty serious missfire. I replaced the plugs and wires and the missfire went away......or so I thought. 

I noticed a few days later that I was still getting the slightest missfire what seems to be in 2nd and 4th gear when under heavy load. Nothing like the previous missfire before but enough to know that the plugs and wires weren't the only culprit. Ugh!

I wasn't getting any dash lights or any codes to come up on the scanner for any hints. My next thought was maybe a couple plugged up fuel injectors. I had my doubts as the misfire wasn't always guarteed with hard acceleration but I ran some seafoam through the gas tank hoping it would help. No such luck. I removed the plugs and checked them with a plug gauge to see if I was in tolerance. A couple spark plugs were out of tolerance and I reset them. I placed the plugs back in and went down the road to see if helped any. No such luck. A few days later I pulled the plugs as I wasn't very confident with the cheap plug gauge I have. So I pull out the feeler gauge to double check the plug gauge. All within tolerance. I pulled the cable terminals off the battery as I noticed the positive post was all gummed up under the cap. Knowing that the battery doesn't necessarily do a whole lot and that the alternator does all the heavy lifting I figured it needed to be cleaned up anyway. I soaked them and cleaned them up like new and tossed them back on the battery. Took the truck down the road and still getting a missfire. I only assumed that wasn't it. 

I replaced the air filter a month or so back and was wondering if it had something to do with it. Highly doubtful but thinking it maybe was letting too much air in and the timing was off or that my MAF air sensor needed to be cleaned. That was going to be my next guess until I came across a new ignition cap that someone posted on Craigslist. The seller had it listed for $10. The place he bought it from sent two. So I offered the guy $5 as his post was a month old and I figure not too many other people were looking for new ignition caps. (I think they're closer to $40+ new and I wouldn't feel all that bad on a  $5 part that didn't work) He said sure. It also helped that it wasn't even a mile away from where I work. I tossed it in this morning and what do you know.....I have a smooth running truck! I really didn't think it would be a faulty ignition cap as I would assume it would throw a code of some sort. Nope. What a mess. I only found a few fourms saying it could be the ignition. Both those forum posts said their ignition caps had hairline cracks in them. My cap didn't have any physical evidence of cracks or something visually broken. So I didn't have much faith as it being my culprit. 

I'm ecstatic that I don't have to bring the truck in the shop. Especially with no codes popping up or dash lights. That wouldn't have been much fun for anyone. 
    I do the long posts around here! 

But I actually read all of yours - so you win😁
    What's funny is that I'm a introvert when in person. I just babble on here. I don't do any social media so this is as close as I get. I've already gone back and reread what I wrote. It looks like a 4th grader has written it. I also noticed my phone has changed words around as well. I could have written all that in a sentence or two.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Writing up labels for an exhibition. Guess that makes me an exhibitionist
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I just put a turkey meatloaf in the oven. Since I started with 36 ounces of turkey it should do for me and the folks for a few days.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    lousubcap said:
    Pacing after a rye blind taste testing that just wrapped up.  Definitely a varied and enjoyable exercise. Turns out that the Parker's Heritage won it for me.

Now to throttle back to enable the run thru the Zoom/Speakeasy evening.  
    That Willet rye is pretty tasty. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    CPFC1905 said:

......Middlesborough v Stoke, The Potters bounced back last week and have the faint whiff of play-off surge about them.  A trip to the bleak north east to the team above them is probably the final test of their appetite for elevation. A game for the die-hards and I have to go with a 2-1 season ender, @Eoin  Soz.......

It doesn't get much grimmer than Middlesborough. We used to have meetings with a crane hire customer in The Navigation near the Riverside.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    WeberWho said:

What's funny is that I'm a introvert when in person. I just babble on here. I don't do any social media so this is as close as I get. I've already gone back and reread what I wrote. It looks like a 4th grader has written it. I also noticed my phone has changed words around as well. I could have written all that in a sentence or two.  =)
    Introversion is a super-power.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    CPFC1905 said:

On we grind. A mis-step by Man City last weekend will have little effect as proved by their return to five goal form against Southampton on Wednesday.  We’re increasingly operating in the margins now with the just mid-table stalwart jostling for obscurity 

Tonight;

Newcastle v Villa,  whilst Toon have been wretched for a while the Villa are rudderless without talisman Jack Grealish.  A home win pours agony on Brighton, presently flirting with the drop-zone, so any sentient being can desire only that outcome.  1-0 

Saturday;

Leeds v Chelsea – the lustre’s worn off the hosts and they are all but safe, so mission accomplished.  Tommy’s really brought the good times back to the Bridge and so Chels’ are looking to nail on Europe next year and a possible 2nd place in the PL.  1-3

Palace v West Brom – a double derby as Roy and Big Sam face former teams.  Too little too late for the visitors or will Sam do his Red Adair act again?  Will Palace continue their eye-watering anti-football or bully a weaker team?  Probably an appalling joyless low quality kick-about with a lucky goal, what we call a  ‘one goal thriller’ because we do irony*.  1-0.  

*I discovered this week that British humour - for that’s what I tried there, dear reader, is in fact benign or warm sarcasm.

Everton v Burnley, the Toffees are 6th and as you know that’s one place off whack so we carry on playing the season.  Dour encounter but the hosts win, 1-0.

Fulham v City, nothing to see here 0-2 and possible respite for the relegation chasing Brighton.

Middlesborough v Stoke, The Potters bounced back last week and have the faint whiff of play-off surge about them.  A trip to the bleak north east to the team above them is probably the final test of their appetite for elevation. A game for the die-hards and I have to go with a 2-1 season ender, @Eoin  Soz. 

Sunday;

Southampton v Brighton, habitual losers Saints will see this as their chance of a rebound.  They saw off bottom rung Blades prior to the City drubbing and fingers crossed for the same here. Watch out for more artistic kicking the ball in to the empty seats by the filthy Seagulls. 2-0.

Leicester v Sheff Utd, the visitors are rock bottom and have thrown the manager under the bus.  This is not a season saver but a chance to clear decks before they restart one league down.   Cannon-fodder they are, now. 3-0.

Arsenal v Spurs, devoid of all the emotion it needs to distract from it being an also-rans affair.  Neither team consistent so could go either way, 1-1.

Man Utd v West Ham, pick of the week and a return to his unhappy place for David Moyes.  Mind you no-one has ever seen him smile, either.  Meh, spirited 2-2. 

Monday;

Wolves v Liverpool,  what’s the point of Liverpool, again?  Meagre former champions might do a touch better against Wolves but that’s far from certain.  1-1

To wrap up;  a special mention to the restoration of the correct balance of power in Scottish football.  Rangers have reclaimed the title and all is good in the world.  The imposters were permitted a brief tenure of primacy while the Gers were unfairly punished, but they fought back and are stronger for it.  We Are The People! 

To quote @lousubcap @j@JohnInCarolina and many others, that section is very much ‘shots fired’.  Ewe Chube it. 

Well done on the Crystal Palace prediction.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Mixing up dough for more Detroit style pizza tonight.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Standing by for the finale 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Planning on pizza for the kids tomorrow night and grabbed some fresh dough from the grocery store. Was checking out the Detroit style pictures and ended up ordering a lloyds pan (should be here tomorrow afternoon). So now thinking I have to add this to the mix. 

Would normal dough work or am I better off heading to the store for yeast?
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Wolfpack said:
    Planning on pizza for the kids tomorrow night and grabbed some fresh dough from the grocery store. Was checking out the Detroit style pictures and ended up ordering a lloyds pan (should be here tomorrow afternoon). So now thinking I have to add this to the mix. 

Would normal dough work or am I better off heading to the store for yeast?
    I’m not sure I understand that question.  I’ve only made dough for this style using bread flour, salt, water and yeast.  What is “normal dough” made from?
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Haha- sounds like I am over thinking it. Was worried about the unknown type of flour, different hydration level, more yeast, etc. 

Most of the Detroit pictures looks like the dough has more rise- was concerned that the dough that I typically stretch and roll into a thinner style crust wouldn’t provide that effect. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Wolfpack said:
    Haha- sounds like I am over thinking it. Was worried about the unknown type of flour, different hydration level, more yeast, etc. 

Most of the Detroit pictures looks like the dough has more rise- was concerned that the dough that I typically stretch and roll into a thinner style crust wouldn’t provide that effect. 
    It’s a pretty high hydration dough.  The recipe I’m using is at 71, and I think others have reported some as high as 75.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    When you are honing your Kramer - and on the first stroke cut your finger...
    #imadumbass #fingersbehindtheblade

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    When you are honing your Kramer - and on the first stroke cut your finger...
    #imadumbass #fingersbehindtheblade

Better to have a digit to affix a bandaid to than the alternative. 🙂
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Better to have a digit to affix a bandaid to than the alternative. 🙂
    That’s true. It’s funny because I KNOW better. Alcohol wasn’t even involved. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Cornholio said:
    Little League is officially back for us. We had winter clinics at a park nearby but just got cleared by to school district to resume playing at our regular fields. Herding cats is easier than coaching t-ball.  =)

Ditto here. We had fall t ball. Very laid back, more about fun. Cranked up this season last weekend. Jamboree and team pics, yay. We had the 8am game this morning. 12 6 year olds per team. Herding cats is way easoer
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    Love the T-shirt. Congratulations

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • bucky925 said:
    I just left this little one behind to head back home.

That man’s face says it all. Congrats to you. Congrats to Grampa!
  • WeberWho

Minnesota