Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    That makes sense we should be pumped of every detail of our lives in order to make private companies rich and government is made they’re not getting any of the action.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Freedom! (to sell your data).  Capitalism! (to sell your data).  Few regulations! (to sell your data).

All that stuff is always good, right?

US vs EU Data Privacy
    The United States does not broadly restrict cross-border data flows and has traditionally regulated privacy at a sectoral level to cover certain types of data. The EU considers the privacy of communications and the protection of personal data to be fundamental rights, which are codified in EU law.

Options
    That makes sense we should be pumped of every detail of our lives in order to make private companies rich and government is made they’re not getting any of the action.
    I detect sarcasm.

If you tax the use of the data appropriately, the companies will have to use it judiciously.  In other words, they will have an incentive not to mine us for every detail of our lives because it will be too expensive for them
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I guess the way I look at it is why not you charge for your data and not give the rights away to mega data or mega government.  It doesn’t matter just my opinion, not trying to create a scene on this thread.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I guess the way I look at it is why not you charge for your data and not give the rights away to mega data or mega government.  It doesn’t matter just my opinion, not trying to create a scene on this thread.
    I think that could work too, I just don’t see our government passing a law that tells these companies they have to pay people to use their own products.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I think that could work too, I just don’t see our government passing a law that tells these companies they have to pay people to use their own products.  
    If more people thought for themselves and did not participate the market would balance but I think we are in too deep.   
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @nolaegghead - following in the "feeding persona" line- I'm all in with Linda.  Perhaps my next road trip to NO lead to nirvana and then a visit to Drago's.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there- B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited March 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @nolaegghead - following in the "feeding persona" line- I'm all in with Linda.  Perhaps my next road trip to NO lead to nirvana and then a visit to Drago's.  
    Will someone please translate this for me ... I feel like I am in an episode of "Yes Yes No" podcast.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Will someone please translate this for me ... I feel like I am in an episode of "Yes Yes No" podcast.
    BC is tentatively on for fall, S. Conner likely to attend, NO not the opposite of YES, nirvana not a grunge band, Dragos grilled not rocky mountain.  Clear?

edited March 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    BC is tentatively on for fall, S. Conner likely to attend, NO not the opposite of YES, nirvana not a grunge band, Dragos grilled not rocky mountain.  Clear?

Ok, got it now.

Cap wants to head to New Orleans to see if he can make a baby Connor and save the world.  That would be his heaven.  Afterwards he would take her to Drago's, the restraunt, for some post coitus oysters.

Btw, Cap should be more respectful of Ms. Hamilton.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Ok, got it now.

Cap wants to head to New Orleans to see if he can make a baby Connor and save the world.  That would be his heaven.  Afterwards he would take her to Drago's the restraunt for some post coitus oysters.
    That would infer Cap is from the future, but other than that, yep.

Options
    ....stranger things have happened.
    Options
    "Coitus Oysters" WBAGNFARB.   B)

And I am now convinced that the above six posters are all sub-accounts for @CPFC1905.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Botch said:
    "Coitus Oysters" WBAGNFARB.   B)

And I am now convinced that the above six posters are all sub-accounts for @CPFC1905.  
    @lousubcap is actually a FB advanced AI.  They are using this forum to train him to communicate.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    @lousubcap is actually a FB advanced AI.  They are using this forum to train him to communicate.
    Well, that was a bad choice.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,268
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Freedom! (to sell your data).  Capitalism! (to sell your data).  Few regulations! (to sell your data).

All that stuff is always good, right?

US vs EU Data Privacy
    The United States does not broadly restrict cross-border data flows and has traditionally regulated privacy at a sectoral level to cover certain types of data. The EU considers the privacy of communications and the protection of personal data to be fundamental rights, which are codified in EU law.

This is true. In fact, many jurisdictions claim that privacy is a basic human right. In the US, the Federal Trade Commission plays a role in ensuring appropriate handling of personally-identifiable information (“personal information” in many other justifications). Because of its consumer protection slant, it also addresses unfair and misleading practices. It has the power to impose substantial fines. Surprisingly, many other jurisdictions, including Canada, do not have fining or order-making powers (the exception in Canada being the ability to recommend fines in cases where there has been a failure to notify the Privacy Commissioner of Canada or affected individuals where a breach creates a “real risk of significant harm” - even this power was only received in the last few years). Changes are on the horizon though. https://www.mondaq.com/canada/data-protection/1018182/proposed-canada-privacy-bill-with-significant-fines-and-enforcement-authority

Recognizing that data knows fewer and fewer borders, increasingly, regulators governing handling of personal information are joining forces in tackling organizations having suffered data breaches, as was the case following the 2015 data breach involving adult-dating website Ashley Madison (Canadian parent company being Avid Life Media, Inc.).

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Woke up late today....but  finally found the key to my storage shed and put some things away.
    Hung up a bat house I built 5 months ago.

Hung up some storage shelves in my work shop.

Cooked some venison boudin

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    MJG said:
    Signed papers for an early retirement/voluntary buyout yesterday. The next three months will be dedicated to whatever a “transition” is. I Will be heels up, and generally drunk, July thru September and then will figure out what the encore shall be. 25 years in at this company tomorrow. I had a good run. 
    Good luck!

30 years at my company last month and I'd retire right now if I didn't have to pay for health care.  Probably would have hopped around jobs too.

I don't understand why there's this huge resistance to a national health care system like the rest of the developed world.  The whole for-profit system ends up bankrupting people, having worse outcomes from lack of preventative care, spending inordinate amounts of time trying to fix automatically rejected claims and doesn't allow people to take extended time off for a walk-about or to pursue their dreams (unless they have generational wealth or saved money).

</shrug>

Stops people from doing their own thing, setting up a business, creating something. The fear of no heathcare keeps people tied to employment, the opposite of the American Dream.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    The terrible 3/11/2011 Tōhoku earthquake/tsunami in Japan happened 10 years ago today. Saw this video today that provides an interesting graphical representation of earthquake activity in the weeks preceding the event and for the months til year end after the event.
    Listen to it with your volume at a 6 or 7, not a 9 or 10 cuz when it happens...whoa!!!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Soon people will be paid digital tolkens to watch ads. The funds will come from suppliers who will book this to marketing costs.  On free platforms, you will be able to pay (in same digital tolkens) to switch adverts off.  Therefore, data mining (and selling) will not be required any longer to generate income.

Privacy issues could be resolved ... but they won't ... government loves our data too much to let it go. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    edited March 2021
    Options
    MJG said:
    Signed papers for an early retirement/voluntary buyout yesterday. The next three months will be dedicated to whatever a “transition” is. I Will be heels up, and generally drunk, July thru September and then will figure out what the encore shall be. 25 years in at this company tomorrow. I had a good run. 
    Good luck!

30 years at my company last month and I'd retire right now if I didn't have to pay for health care.  Probably would have hopped around jobs too.

I don't understand why there's this huge resistance to a national health care system like the rest of the developed world.  The whole for-profit system ends up bankrupting people, having worse outcomes from lack of preventative care, spending inordinate amounts of time trying to fix automatically rejected claims and doesn't allow people to take extended time off for a walk-about or to pursue their dreams (unless they have generational wealth or saved money).

</shrug>

See Ronald Reagan’s 1961 speech on socialized medicine. It would be weaponized like the IRS. Both sides have used the IRS, It’s one thing to be deplatformed from Twitter, quite another to be cut off from health care due to your politics. 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Just finished all of my course work for my solo diver certification.  Got a place I want to dive but visibility will only be 2-3 foot
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited March 2021
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Just finished all of my course work for my solo diver certification.  Got a place I want to dive but visibility will only be 2-3 foot
    That sounds like fun! Those were the conditions where I got my initial certification. We had to swim along the bottom of a quarry, and people got too close, stirring it up. Couldn't actually see my hands in front of my face. Wish I had stuck with it sometimes. Then I look at my bank account and all the other forlorn hobby equipment around the place...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    Options
    MJG said:
    Good luck!

</shrug>

See Ronald Reagan’s 1961 speech on socialized medicine. It would be weaponized like the IRS. Both sides have used the IRS, It’s one thing to be deplatformed from Twitter, quite another to be cut off from health care due to your politics. 
    That's a ridiculous thought.

Options
    @Kayak.
    All my hobbies are expensive...that why I had 3 jobs at one point
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,859
    Options

On we grind. A mis-step by Man City last weekend will have little effect as proved by their return to five goal form against Southampton on Wednesday.  We’re increasingly operating in the margins now with the just mid-table stalwart jostling for obscurity 

Tonight;

Newcastle v Villa,  whilst Toon have been wretched for a while the Villa are rudderless without talisman Jack Grealish.  A home win pours agony on Brighton, presently flirting with the drop-zone, so any sentient being can desire only that outcome.  1-0 

Saturday;

Leeds v Chelsea – the lustre’s worn off the hosts and they are all but safe, so mission accomplished.  Tommy’s really brought the good times back to the Bridge and so Chels’ are looking to nail on Europe next year and a possible 2nd place in the PL.  1-3

Palace v West Brom – a double derby as Roy and Big Sam face former teams.  Too little too late for the visitors or will Sam do his Red Adair act again?  Will Palace continue their eye-watering anti-football or bully a weaker team?  Probably an appalling joyless low quality kick-about with a lucky goal, what we call a  ‘one goal thriller’ because we do irony*.  1-0.  

*I discovered this week that British humour - for that’s what I tried there, dear reader, is in fact benign or warm sarcasm.

Everton v Burnley, the Toffees are 6th and as you know that’s one place off whack so we carry on playing the season.  Dour encounter but the hosts win, 1-0.

Fulham v City, nothing to see here 0-2 and possible respite for the relegation chasing Brighton.

Middlesborough v Stoke, The Potters bounced back last week and have the faint whiff of play-off surge about them.  A trip to the bleak north east to the team above them is probably the final test of their appetite for elevation. A game for the die-hards and I have to go with a 2-1 season ender, @Eoin  Soz. 

Sunday;

Southampton v Brighton, habitual losers Saints will see this as their chance of a rebound.  They saw off bottom rung Blades prior to the City drubbing and fingers crossed for the same here. Watch out for more artistic kicking the ball in to the empty seats by the filthy Seagulls. 2-0.

Leicester v Sheff Utd, the visitors are rock bottom and have thrown the manager under the bus.  This is not a season saver but a chance to clear decks before they restart one league down.   Cannon-fodder they are, now. 3-0.

Arsenal v Spurs, devoid of all the emotion it needs to distract from it being an also-rans affair.  Neither team consistent so could go either way, 1-1.

Man Utd v West Ham, pick of the week and a return to his unhappy place for David Moyes.  Mind you no-one has ever seen him smile, either.  Meh, spirited 2-2. 

Monday;

Wolves v Liverpool,  what’s the point of Liverpool, again?  Meagre former champions might do a touch better against Wolves but that’s far from certain.  1-1

To wrap up;  a special mention to the restoration of the correct balance of power in Scottish football.  Rangers have reclaimed the title and all is good in the world.  The imposters were permitted a brief tenure of primacy while the Gers were unfairly punished, but they fought back and are stronger for it.  We Are The People! 

To quote @lousubcap @j@JohnInCarolina and many others, that section is very much ‘shots fired’.  Ewe Chube it. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay