Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pfizer/Moderna Vaccine

Options

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks like it was about time to queue up the government's distribution incompetence. Only took a few days.
    The Governor was at the hospital across the street Monday handing out the vaccines for a photo op. So not sure if it’s the government or the hospital. It is the state of IL after all. Gotta pay to play. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options

🤔🤔🤔
    I guess it depends on how well people isolated.  Texans apparently aren’t that good at it. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,863
    Options
    It’s not quite as obvious on the graph of national data, but the highest point on the graph come 15 days after Thanksgiving day - which was the start of a weekend of families being together.  The rise in deaths won’t be as obvious because these patients often spend a long - and widely variable - time in the ICU before they pass.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 380
    Options
    To respond to the OP, heck yes I'll get the vaccine when they let me.
    It's a real easy decision.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I don't think I'd trust Tucker Carlson's take on, well... anything, really.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @johnincarolina I watched Tucker Carlson a few months ago and had to turn it off because it felt like listening to a lunatic on amphetamines.  I didn't know anything about him.  i learned that his defense in a slander suit was that viewers understand that he doesn't state actual facts in his show.  so he's telling me he's not credible?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    newsmax seems to make tucker credible. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @johnincarolina I watched Tucker Carlson a few months ago and had to turn it off because it felt like listening to a lunatic on amphetamines.  I didn't know anything about him.  i learned that his defense in a slander suit was that viewers understand that he doesn't state actual facts in his show.  so he's telling me he's not credible?
    I'd seen that same report about the slander suit.  What a time to be alive.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • builderdawg
    Options
    I don't understand the mind set that you have to go out a vaccinate people who don't want it. I also don't understand locking everyone in their home.

IMO if you want the vaccine go get it, if you don't for whatever reason then don't.

Along the same lines why lock everyone in their homes, I know there are exceptions to everything but it seems that if you are in a high risk category you should take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and family.  If you are not, don't have any reason to contact anyone who is you should be able to go to work.

This will be a wildly unpopular position on this forum, enter the trolls in 3...2...1..
    I think the answer is that it's just an incredibly infectious disease, and it's actually very difficult for people to isolate.

Look at people in nursing homes, for example.  Obviously they're stuck in an environment where they need to interact with others and the staff.  So you can say well the staff should isolate, but even there these people live in their own homes and have to eat, acquire groceries, etc.

I'm personally not advocating for forced vaccinations by any stretch, by the way.  If needed I'd rather see them incentivized somehow.  Perhaps people who are vaccinated receive an additional stimulus check, or something.

The goal here is really to get to the point where community spread is very limited, such that minor outbreaks can be contained.  It's hard to do that unless we get to a minimum threshold for vaccination in the community.

This is why the anti-vaccers are so problematic, by the way.  Suddenly you have an outbreak in the community because herd immunity is no longer in play. 

There is a point at which personal choice impacts the greater public, and that's the issue here.    

I'm "pro-vaccination" but I think whether or not people are vaccinated is far less important than making sure everyone has the opportunity to get vaccinated.  If you have the opportunity to get vaccinated and you choose not to, you are accepting the risk of getting the virus, but you are less of a risk to the general population because many / most will have been vaccinated.  Once everyone has had a reasonable opportunity to get vaccinated, there should be no reason for life to not return to normal.   
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I'd seen that same report about the slander suit.  What a time to be alive.  

In a couple of depositions Alex Jones has also said that he is just a performance artist and nobody should really take him seriously.
    That anyone actually does take any of those clowns seriously is one of the big mysteries of the universe.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,254
    Options
    The nurse that came to the house today for my wife’s IgG infusion said that she will not be getting the vaccine - she feels there are too many unknowns and that shortcuts were taken during the clinical trials. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options

Why is the default volume for those things always set to "11"?
    *&@#*&$&Q@#!!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,101
    Options
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I don't understand the mind set that you have to go out a vaccinate people who don't want it. I also don't understand locking everyone in their home.

IMO if you want the vaccine go get it, if you don't for whatever reason then don't.

Along the same lines why lock everyone in their homes, I know there are exceptions to everything but it seems that if you are in a high risk category you should take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and family.  If you are not, don't have any reason to contact anyone who is you should be able to go to work.

This will be a wildly unpopular position on this forum, enter the trolls in 3...2...1..
    I think the answer is that it's just an incredibly infectious disease, and it's actually very difficult for people to isolate.

Look at people in nursing homes, for example.  Obviously they're stuck in an environment where they need to interact with others and the staff.  So you can say well the staff should isolate, but even there these people live in their own homes and have to eat, acquire groceries, etc.

I'm personally not advocating for forced vaccinations by any stretch, by the way.  If needed I'd rather see them incentivized somehow.  Perhaps people who are vaccinated receive an additional stimulus check, or something.

The goal here is really to get to the point where community spread is very limited, such that minor outbreaks can be contained.  It's hard to do that unless we get to a minimum threshold for vaccination in the community.

This is why the anti-vaccers are so problematic, by the way.  Suddenly you have an outbreak in the community because herd immunity is no longer in play. 

There is a point at which personal choice impacts the greater public, and that's the issue here.    

I'm "pro-vaccination" but I think whether or not people are vaccinated is far less important than making sure everyone has the opportunity to get vaccinated.  If you have the opportunity to get vaccinated and you choose not to, you are accepting the risk of getting the virus, but you are less of a risk to the general population because many / most will have been vaccinated.  Once everyone has had a reasonable opportunity to get vaccinated, there should be no reason for life to not return to normal.   
    Let’s hope that enough people who have the opportunity choose to get it.  I don’t think that’s necessarily guaranteed right now.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,370
    Options
    Nevada’s initial allocation was reduced to 40%. Not sure when this vaccine is truly going to be available to the masses. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,459
    Options
    Nevada’s initial allocation was reduced to 40%. Not sure when this vaccine is truly going to be available to the masses. 
    That’s the issue. Not who’s gonna take it and when....will there be enough to make sure all who want it can get it? 

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    That’s the issue. Not who’s gonna take it and when....will there be enough to make sure all who want it can get it? 

I don't think production will be an issue. Distribution, on the other hand sounds like it's off to a shaky start.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    etherdome said:
    My wife was vaccinated on Thursday and I received my first dose this morning. We are both frontline workers. No issues whatsoever so far.  The vast majority of those that actually see what is going on are getting it without hesitation. Those choosing not to get it are making that decision out of fear but not logic and I can understand that. But if you choose not to get it at least wear a damn mask. Anyone refusing both masks and vaccinations deserve to be locked up until this is over. As a front line worker I am sick of the selfish and privileged attitudes of many Americans .
    There is more to it than just fear vs. logic.

Anecdotally, I've talked to medical personnel who are skeptical in a "hyperlogical" way, i.e. they're looking at this the same way they would evaluate other new treatments, medications, etc. and want more info to educate themselves before making a decision. They're more concerned about cohort or population level effects vs. individual effects (e.g. allergic or anaphylactic reactions).

And I've talked to medical personnel who are skeptical (more like paranoid), because they get most of their news from Fox and FaceBook memes. Some folks are promoting misinformation re: the COVID vaccine(s), and so some folks are latching on to it. 

Add cultural perspective into the mix. It indeed makes a difference, because of the history of poor access to healthcare, poor treatment, and inequality (perceived, and real).

I'll leave this here:
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/african-american-resistance-to-the-covid-19-vaccine-reflects-a-broader-problem

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    News about the AstraZeneca vaccine and comparing it to Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines. Its a bit long but the last 10 minutes are definitely  worth  watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQKAvsnISg
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    I am taking it.   I don’t expect to be eligible for months.  By then there should be a lot more data, but I don’t expect to hear anything that will change my mind. 
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    @alaskanassasin, that was good you &#:#$÷@%
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    blind99 said:
    i told her to call scottie 
    Brother Blind, had someone asked me about the vaccine just a few days ago I would of laughed at them just as I have laughed at the mask wearers for the past 9 months. 
    However sometimes certain things really hit home and change one’s perspective. I just arrived home from a life long friends services. His funeral is tomorrow. He died from complications with the virus. With that said with a very heavy and hurt heart, I will take the vaccine. And my apologies to all the people that I insulted and ridiculed about the mask. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    edited December 2020
    Options

SGH said:
    blind99 said:
    i told her to call scottie 
    Brother Blind, had someone asked me about the vaccine just a few days ago I would of laughed at them just as I have laughed at the mask wearers for the past 9 months. 
    However sometimes certain things really hit home and change one’s perspective. I just arrived home from a life long friends services. His funeral is tomorrow. He died from complications with the virus. With that said with a very heavy and hurt heart, I will take the vaccine. And my apologies to all the people that I insulted and ridiculed about the mask. 

Why would you have ever objected to a mask in the first place?  It is such an asymmetrical choice.  If a mask turns out to be useless, you have endured a minor inconvenience.  If you turn out to be wrong, you might infect someone and kill them.  Or if you get infected you end up sick or dead.  Why take such an asymmetrical stand?  I don’t get it. 
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Just got mine.

Our hospitals in Austin are close to capacity so everyone please get it if you can and wear your mask. 
    Austin, TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @sgh brother, we all make the choices we think are best, and we change our minds as we learn more. I definitely have.  In the end I want us to share some BBQ together in good health. My condolences. Stay safe. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options