Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pfizer/Moderna Vaccine

Options

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Mississippi has the nation’s toughest requirements for vaccination. You must be vaccinated in order to attend public schools. As a result we have the highest percentage vaccinated with no exemptions for religious or personal belief exemptions, only for medical exemptions. I can see teachers being required to be vaccinated, the vaccine isn’t approved for under 16 years old yet(for Pfizer, 18 for Moderna provided it is approved Thursday). It is also an at will employment State. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    @ryantt - As you very well know, this virus takes no prisoners and is relentless.  Your wife and co-workers are the true heroes along with all the scientists world-wide who have stepped up.  I am so sorry for the loss of a good friend to this.  Tough all the way around and will remain so for the near-term.
    Regrettably the virus writes and executes the game plan and we try to write the defense, and it has been poorly executed to date.   
    At least there is help in the way of the vaccine.  For me and all I have read for the past 8+ months, the way to slow/stop this is thru the vaccine.  I won't add to that.
    Stay healthy and safe to you, your wife and Norah Grace.
    202 cannot pass into history soon enough!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Legume said:
    Pete, we were also told the warm weather would make it all go away.  Video, fact, as you say.

Agree with what you said re incentives, etc to deliver these vaccines.  It had never before been done, not even close, so good on everyone involved too to bottom.  People suspicious about the vaccine are not leaning on “a guy on the news said it was impossible” they’re leaning on question of safety, were any shortcuts taken that have created risk to people that take the vaccine.
    Numbers dropped dramatically in the warm months. That is what was predicted and it happened. Remember, they reopened all kinds of businesses and restaurants. The numbers have risen recently as the weather has cooled in many areas of the country. 

The guy on TV who said it was impossible (dozens of culpable “expert”) also said if it happened it would be because they cut corners on efficacy and that it would definitely not be safe to take. Same guy. Fact! Video! Repeatedly!

please pay attention. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    Pete, we were also told the warm weather would make it all go away.  Video, fact, as you say.

Agree with what you said re incentives, etc to deliver these vaccines.  It had never before been done, not even close, so good on everyone involved too to bottom.  People suspicious about the vaccine are not leaning on “a guy on the news said it was impossible” they’re leaning on question of safety, were any shortcuts taken that have created risk to people that take the vaccine.
    Numbers dropped dramatically in the warm months. That is what was predicted and it happened.

please pay attention. 

Where's that dramatic drop?
    Options
    Legume said:

Numbers dropped dramatically in the warm months. That is what was predicted and it happened. Remember, they reopened all kinds of businesses and restaurants. The numbers have risen recently as the weather has cooled in many areas of the country. 

The guy on TV who said it was impossible (dozens of culpable “expert”) also said if it happened it would be because they cut corners on efficacy and that it would definitely not be safe to take. Same guy. Fact! Video! Repeatedly!

please pay attention. 
    Alright.  I'm not sure why - but I'll take the bait.

"Numbers dropped dramatically in the warm months."  This was largely true in areas that maintained precautions after getting the initial surge under control.  In places that didn't do that (Texas, Florida, Arizona) that was not the case.

However, the point is that making a definitive statement about it going away when nobody knew what to expect was probably ill-advised - and proven to be frankly wrong.

"...if it happened it would be because they cut corners on efficacy and that it would definitely not be safe to take."

I don't recall hearing that.  I recall hearing concerns that getting from where we were in March (or April or May) to having vaccine available sometime in the fall seemed unlikely and that it seemed unlikely that a vaccine developed that quickly would have the near 100% efficacy that we are used to seeing in our vaccines.  The messaging was "we can't just count on a vaccine because we don't know how long it will be or how effective it will be".  That was the truth.  In fact we still don't know the answers to those questions ("How long will it take to get nearly everybody vaccinated?" and "How effective are the vaccines in the long run?").  I don't recall anybody advising against getting the vaccine when one became available.  

I'm always willing and frankly happy to learn new things - so if I missed this, please link the videos (you said there were many, so please link them all) here.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    As far as people's trust goes, various political influence for political reasons has largely eroded trust in the various government alphabet health related agencies.  Politics meddling in science, especially with an anti-science and highly charged political agenda makes people suspicious.   It will be nice taking the politicians that have been thrust for the first time in these agencies at the highest level to be replaced with qualified people. 
    Options
    “ if it happened it would be because they cut corners on efficacy and that it would definitely not be safe to take. “

I wonder if anyone actually said this.  A medicine or vaccine can be 100% efficacious and not safe at all.  Or, it could be 0% efficacious and totally safe.  Neither would ever be approved.  Safety and efficacy are evaluated separately, but together form the basis for approval.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Because we've been living in a time where a lawnchair salesman could actually be put in high positions in the HHS, I guess their opinion is something we can't completely ignore.
    Legume said:

please pay attention. 
    Yes, you are right.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    "Guy on TV"  "Fact! Video! Repeatedly!"

This pretty much sums up arguing on the interwebs in 2020.

Options

Guy on Facebook, Guy on Twitter, Guy on - oh dang - Guy on TV reports on "Likes" as news. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I knew it was over when the local news started reporting comments on twitter.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Kayak said:
    I knew it was over when the local news started reporting comments on twitter.
    In all fairness, these are the the sad times where many people check twitter in the morning to see if they've been fired or still have a job....or to see if there have been any major policy changes.

Options
    Legume said:

Numbers dropped dramatically in the warm months. That is what was predicted and it happened.

please pay attention. 

Mortality rate. As testing increased exponentially the cases increased. You either intentionally don’t wish to acknowledge all the factors or you just don’t know. That’s why your charts are totally useless without proper context or explanation. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I saw some guy on TV said "covid covid covid" would be over on Nov 4th. 

Anyway, point is people are putting too much stock on what they see people say on TV.  Doesn't mean anything.  If you are paying attention, you'll realize people who get all their information from TV live in an alternate reality.
    Options

Just google it RE msnbc, cnn, abc, etc etc. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Legume said:

please pay attention. 

Mortality rate. As testing increased exponentially the cases increased. You either intentionally don’t wish to acknowledge all the factors or you just don’t know. That’s why your charts are totally useless without proper context or explanation. 
    Really doesn't matter how you move the proverbial goalposts here.  I have a good handle on the big picture.  If you are saying mortality rate dropped in the summer, show me the data.  Mortality rate for people with covid is a function of age and the current level of quality of treatment.  It goes down as we learn how to keep those sick people alive.  Has nothing to do with the number of tests. 

Options
    Pete, you have a retail business, do you require masks on employees and customers? If you had the opportunity to only allow people who had been vaccinated, would you go down that road, or would you want everyone to still wear masks?  I don’t see the public in my job, so I haven’t had to consider at what point would I feel ok with business as usual - what % of the population vaccinated, etc.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,633
    Options
    Who buys 60 min tapes?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    Who buys 60 min tapes?

My neighbor, Ann Aylog
    I will get it
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Bells Palsy is awesome!!!!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    edited December 2020
    Options

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• nolaegghead
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Bells Palsy is awesome!!!!
    I'm sorry, man.  I hope you can still use both hands.
    Options
    The wife finally got hers this morning. The arm hasn’t fallen off yet. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Looks like it was about time to queue up the government's distribution incompetence. Only took a few days.