Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Adventure through Spain and what I am eating along the way - OT

Sea2Ski
Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
As the title says, we are headed to Spain.  Starting off in Barcelona, headed up to Andorra, then down to Valencia, Alicante, Madrid, Cordoba, and Saville. Not as much planned for this trip as usually have by this time, but we do have some events booked.  Excited to get there. 

But first, I have to depart Philly with a proper hoagie. Yes, it was bought outside of the airport at a place by my parents.  May not look like much, but they make them good! 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Can’t wait to follow along- safe travels. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Topik in Barcelona is one of my very favorite restaurants in the world.  Go and just ask them to plan a meal for you guys with the wines paired.  You’ll be blown away.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Awesome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Topik in Barcelona is one of my very favorite restaurants in the world.  Go and just ask them to plan a meal for you guys with the wines paired.  You’ll be blown away.
    You’ve know for two months I’m going in June and you don’t bother telling me?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Well... now you know!  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2019
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Ask for the Corbina (Corvina) to have a few memories of the drum you guys were catching!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Spain is on our short list. Following. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Wait until you try 100% acorn fed jamon. Out of this world....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I had a friend who lived in Barcelona for 2 years. Make sure your wife wears a crossbody purse. Your wallet up in front pockets. Don't leave phone unattended anywhere. Even on the table. Watch each other when using your phone. Lots of grab and dash over there. My friend had two cell phones ripped off her. Especially near Las Ramblas. 

That seemed to be the extent of any worries. Otherwise we felt super safe at all times. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    You guys travel safe. Always enjoy seeing the world and stomach through your eyes. Ha to V for me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    My biggest food/drink related memories of our 2016 trip to Spain:

As @WeberWho said, the jamon iberico is something to appreciate.  But for me to really get it I had to have it in a sandwich.  I had heard people say "the best sandwich you will ever eat is on a a baguette with a couple of thin slices of jamon and a couple of thin slices of cheese" - and I thought "Bull$hit.  The best sandwiches come from a New York deli and have over an inch of meat on them."

Then I had a jamon sandwich in Barcelona and I got it.  The flavor of that ham is so concentrated that it stands up to a good bread even thought there's not a lot of meat.  It was eye-opening.

Also, walking on the beach in Barcelona and stopping at one of the beachfront restaurants for paella and sangria de cava was a great way to enjoy a late afternoon meal.

There are vermuth bars in Barcelona - serving red vermuth - straight up, or with ice, or with soda.  Try some if you get a chance.  Just be careful that if you learn to like it, when you order it in the US you need to get it on the rocks.  When ordered on the rocks it is typically served in a lo-ball glass like a whiskey on the rocks.  If not ordered on the rocks it might get it served in a foo-foo pink stemmed glass that looks like a dainty martini glass - and your colleagues might make fun of you for it.  Or so I've heard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Sea2Ski
    My wife had the 400g 160 day dry aged steak. 

And they served it with a side condiment of mustard?!?!?

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Dessert dessert was a limoncello sorbet over lemon custard with candied ginger and pickled grapefruit and sprout leaf of cilantro. Insane. 

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    morning walk through the market  nt
    Large and MiniMax

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    One of the best kept travel secrets on this planet. If you go to Spain and do not ask yourself at least once, "Why don't I live here?" you are taking the wrong tour to the wrong places. I have not been there in years, but have vowed to return.

Beautiful images Mark. Try and keep V in line will you?

Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sea2Ski
    Ron, I must have said it 10 times yesterday.  I am not a city person at all, but I think I could live in this city.  Can not wait to see more of this place!  
    Large and MiniMax

• JohnInCarolina
    Sea2Ski said:
    Went to topik as @JohnInCarolina suggested. Oh my God!!

Duck coquette 

Tuna with pickled “large” smelt roe 

ahhh....  running out of time here are other pics from last nights dinner. 
    This makes me so happy.  Glad you both enjoyed it!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I can't remember the name of the place, but there's a little corner cafe in Sevilla that makes the best wings I've ever had.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Unbelievable. We’ve never been, and certainly need to remedy that.  Thanks for sharing all the great pics
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    If you ask at the market, or at a tapas bar if they have jamons hanging, they may give you a shot from one of those fat cups.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    thetrim said:
    I can't remember the name of the place, but there's a little corner cafe in Sevilla that makes the best wings I've ever had.
    I'm sure Jason won't have any trouble finding that, given the paucity of corner cafes in Sevilla. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Wow....
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Wow....
    Agreed
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Wow.  Even your take out and take home looks amazing.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95