Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Adventure through Spain and what I am eating along the way - OT

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Living the good life there Mark....great pictures.....and great times. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    This is the coolest post/thread.. Thanks for sharing Mark..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I've never bought European gas station cheese but I'm guessing it's a cut above US gas station cheese.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Did the gas station have hot dogs on a roller?

Each day seems to be just a tiny bit better than the last!  Awesome trip!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I love everything about this thread!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've never bought European gas station cheese but I'm guessing it's a cut above US gas station cheese.
    Several cuts above.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

The last (well, only) time I visited Spain there were two menus in most places, one for the locals (in Spanish) and one for the yanks (in English, with higher prices).  This looks like they've gotten rid of that nonsense; have you found that to be the case in most places?  

And yes, this is a most excellent thread, and I've added another thing to my retirement bucket list; thank you!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Several cuts above.
    Who keeps cutting the cheese?!?  
    (sorry, dad joke)  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:
    Several cuts above.
    Who keeps cutting the cheese?!?  
    (sorry, dad joke)  
    It’s OK, I’m a Dad.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    No hotdogs or sausages on rollers, and I did not buy the cheese. I just found that very odd they had that much along with the 5 lb jar of olives and 2 lb tins of sardines to be at a gas station.

@Botch  menus:  some places yes and some places no. At the smaller places (we prefer), they will only have one menu as I show above.  Bigger places sometimes do have 2 menus, but when I have been able to glance at them, they appear to have the same prices.

It has been a great trip so far. Tonight our friends from England arrive, and we will hang out tonight to catch up in person. The husband may come later as he is in the process of selling his business, so we will see if he arrives tonight or not. hopefully he does. Can’t wait. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Today was sightseeing tour day. Weather held out for us. 55F when we woke and 80F now. 

Almost ate at the worlds oldest restaurant, but was already stuffed.

And apparently there here is a little football game going on here this weekend. @CPFC1905 know anything about it?  

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Simple food day today as well. 
    Started with a Jamon on a light toasted roll:

Jamon croquettes 

We ordered 2 drinks and got the following tapas for “free”

Wings and potato’s:

Some type of pork on bread, an egg/potato quiche type thing on bread, and Jamon on bread. 

So where did tapas come from? Going back hundreds of years, the poor workers coming in from working the fields only had enough to either drink or eat. So many decided to drink. The king was upset at this because after their break, no work would get done. He made it law that if you ordered only a drink, the person serving the drink had to serve food with it. At first, it was a thin slice of cheese which was placed on top of the glass to show they were compliant with the law. Later, it changed to whatever was leftover, since they had to give something with the drink. Then as the years went on further, different places tried to out-do the competition and serve something better than next door. Even to this day, some places, if you only order a drink, will give you free tapas. That is how we got the assortment above. 

At at least that is what we’re were told by a local today when we got ours unexpectedly. She explained it when we look very puzzled when the plates arrived. 
    Large and MiniMax

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Looks tremendous Mark. What a great trip. How old is that restaurant? We ate in Freiburg Germany at a place that has been in continuous operation since 1311. I thought that was old! 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Dude.  If you can get a ticket for the Champions League Final I may jump on a plane to get there.  There will be a lot of English being spoken in Madrid this week as the two teams in the final are English.

And please tell me that you are going to see Guernica while in Madrid.  That and the mosque/cathedral in Cordoba were the two things in Spain I knew I had to see before we even started planning our trip.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very cool day, but I thought their temps over there were in Celsius?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    How would you pay for a meal from the world's oldest restaurant?  With money earned from the world's oldest profession?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @DoubleEgger   I found this on the web:
    https://madridfoodtour.com/botin-the-worlds-oldest-restaurant/  

Then there is is another page that lists others that are older.  So who knows.  Would have been cool to get the suckling pig there but was already full anyway. Oh well.   

@Foghorn no tickets.  But the place is already going insane. Talking to someone they are expecting 1.2M visitors.  Why that many would come but know they are not getting in the stadium, I do not understand. But hey - everyone has their interests and passions. Good for them.  
    Large and MiniMax

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    WOW!  what a gastronomic fest with all that very interesting food.
    Thanks for posting! 
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

@Foghorn no tickets.  But the place is already going insane. Talking to someone they are expecting 1.2M visitors.  Why that many would come but know they are not getting in the stadium, I do not understand. But hey - everyone has their interests and passions. Good for them.  
    Alcohol, Mark.  It's called alcohol.  
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    I guess so.  
    Maybe slightly akin to meeting a bunch of people in a state park in NC to cook and eat and maybe have a drink or two.

Seriously, you could feel the excitement building. Nearly ever town square had a giant screen going up for people to watch it there.  I am sure it would be a great time if you had the slightest bit of interest. 
    Large and MiniMax

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options
    @Sea2Ski
    Beware the roaming English football fan.  You will spot them easily enough, they are the ones behaving like 17 year olds that have never been away from home before.    Best to keep outside of their 'street furniture throwing arc'.

If you were totally committed to the cause of coincidentally being near a major football final while on a lovely holiday - you would have driven through the night (and several more days) to reach Baku in Azerbaijan for Arsenal v Chelsea.  A mere 3500 miles from your current spot.

Great pics & enjoy the rest of your trip!

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Alcohol, Mark.  It's called alcohol.  
    I think that being there when their team wins and participating in the celebrations after the game is part of it.  Taking a chance on stumbling on some reasonably-priced tickets is another possibility.  With that said, in the US, the only group I've seen that travels much larger than the stadium capacity is the University of Kentucky basketball fans.  They load up their tractors and flatbed trucks and head to wherever UK is playing just to be a part of the scene there.  If you're still there on Saturday, just watch the game, and when it is over buy a shirt with the winning team's colors and join the fun. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    The nipple tassels are a nice touch. 
    you mean curtain ropes?!
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    We skipped out of Madrid and headed south to Toledo. It was the capital of Spain prior to Madrid. First we got something to eat then went sight seeing. 

Lunch:

We left late afternoon and drove through miles and miles and miles of olive groves for 60-80 miles.

Got to a super small town called Zuheros in the southern mountains 

Checked in 

Not it a bad view. 

Dinner was next - that needs a new post of its own and speed here is super slow. I will post when I can. 
    Large and MiniMax

• Foghorn
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Great pics.  Keep them coming.

We also did a daytrip to Toledo.  Did you happen to make it to Fabrica Zamarano?  We picked up a MZ knife while we were there.

https://nujournalism2015.wordpress.com/2015/06/18/the-toledo-sword-last-remaining-craftsmen-struggle-to-keep-age-old-tradition-alive/

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks like you guys have had awesome weather there Mark!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This is just incredible. On the list for the next trip across the pond. Thanks for documenting all this. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Love following this - your trip looks fantastic !!  I am super excited for champions league final tomorrow (big big deal) so also loved seeing the stadium, trophy, etc.  Keep the good stuff coming.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”