Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Online Ordering

I commend Rockwood for supporting its customers but ouch!

Large BGE in Moore, OK

Comments

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    edited November 2017
    So don't order it then. It's the best out there and you get "free" shipping with three bags. My guess is he does not want to undercut all the Ace Hardware stores which now make it available to customers while also making it available to those who may not otherwise have convenient access to it.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    maso said:
    I commend Rockwood for supporting its customers but ouch!
    So .. what's the problem?
    Fair pricing for a superior product.. No?

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    RW vs. BGE lump? You're kidding me, right?
    RW all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
    My prayer rug has forever been redirected.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    45 out the door locally for two bags of RW here. Hard to beat IMO. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Most places around here sell it for $24.99. Three bags delivered to your door is an extra $6. It'll cost me $4 in gas to drive to the nearest ACE and back so it's basically a wash.

Also, shipping is included at an $80 price point vs the $100 at Firecraft. 
  • Just ordered 6 bags. With the discount it was less than 25 bucks a bag shipped to my door. Hope I'm not in a zone where money is lost. Willing to use a service which is beneficial for both parties.
  • So glad to see online ordering is available, and just in time for me too. Thank you @stlcharcoal for caring about your customers. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I echo the above regarding @stlcharcoal  and his company for making this possible.  This is a major decision to become a direct on-line supplier.  Thank you.
    BTW- order placed.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • just ordered from Ace, worked out great.  sign up for coupons and you can get great deals on the best lump available.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2017
    So what’s better ordering (Edit: online) or buying at ace. My ace is 30min away but I’m in the area often 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Hans61 said:
    So what’s better ordering (Edit: online) or buying at ace. My ace is 30min away but I’m in the area often 
    Question is, how much is your time worth?  
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hans61 said:
    Using coupons, with Ace, Ace is the better deal if you are going to be near an Ace anyway. No lost time involved.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2017
    Well, I’ll watch for ace coupons - and if I’m in need and won’t otherwise be in the area, I won’t make a special trip. I’ll use the new online order process, it’s nice to have options and obviously time is worth more than anything :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I am excited to be able to get RW again.  I used Firecraft for them, now RW-Online is my only option.  Aces in Az are not on @stlcharcoal nice list ...

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I am excited to be able to get RW again.  I used Firecraft for them, now RW-Online is my only option.  Aces in Az are not on @stlcharcoal nice list ...

Check that list again on Thursday.  :)
  • The problem is you get what you pay for. Rockwood burns cleaner and lasts longer. It’s worth it. I’ve ordered from Grilla Grills in the past. Used to be $24 per bag and you got free shipping on orders over $50 (with tax I was usually at $50 and change with two bags). Too bad they just raised their prices. I’ll be checking local ACE stores from here on out. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Just ordered 3 bags, thanks for posting!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Uh, this isn't a money maker for us, FYI.  This is a service to our customers that were displaced by Firecraft leaving the market.  I only wish we could ship for what they did, but we're not spending 6-7-figures a year with FedEx like they were.  With the discount I gave to get this going, we are actually losing money by shipping to some zones.
    Thank you for doing this!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Just ordered 3 ( (I have limited storage space, otherwise I'd have gotten 6).
    With the 10% discount, only $2.30 more than the old Firecraft, so this was a good deal for me. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945

Check that list again on Thursday.  :)
    Website will be on auto-refresh.  Thank you for the heads up.  I have two Aces within walking distance.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Don’t get me wrong I love rockwood and will continue to buy it. Haven’t checked CGS pricing lately but it used to be on par with Firecraft. Makes it worth it to make the quick drive to Denton. 

But com on, tell me you’re immediately OK with a $5-6 per bag increase from what we were paying? Is it still worth it for most people? More than likely. Is it more than most of us were expecting? Also more than likely 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    maso said:
    Don’t get me wrong I love rockwood and will continue to buy it. Haven’t checked CGS pricing lately but it used to be on par with Firecraft. Makes it worth it to make the quick drive to Denton. 

But com on, tell me you’re immediately OK with a $5-6 per bag increase from what we were paying? Is it still worth it for most people? More than likely. Is it more than most of us were expecting? Also more than likely 

Firecraft was selling it for $24.95, free shipping over $100.

$80.85 for 3 bags shipped comes out to $26.95 a bag.....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I don't get it. If you've got a cheaper source, then buy it there. If not, then consider burning a different brand of lump.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Compared to the cost of what goes on the cooking grid, what goes under it is a pittance. 
  • I ordered 3 bags even though I don't need it right now. My local Ace had never heard of it, and I don't want to drive 32 miles to get when it can be delivered to me. Thank you for offering this to us. We will keep you busy! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's