Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Online Ordering

Options

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    STL Business Journal did the article on the company--they wanted it for the picture  ( http://bizj.us/1p9dka ).  
    interesting life. :) that was a lot of school in a short time.  do you ever sleep?  
    Got 4 kids, so, no.  Would sleep if I had the choice. 

Truth is, got more sleep when I worked nights on the helicopter.  I'd go in at 7p, preflight, make my bed, and go to sleep.....occasionally the phone would ring and we would have to go on a flight,  but we were back in 2-3 hrs.  Ah, the good old days.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Everyone on this forum should thank Jonathan for his devotion to our BGE needs and wants!  He owns Saint Louis Charcoal and has to operate it as a businessman, but yet takes the time and effort to coorespond with each and every one of you personally!  What a guy!  He is open to your personal needs, and does what it takes to keep you all happy with the best lump on the market!  Thanks Jonathan for making the Saint Louis Charcoal company the premier lump supplier in the US!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Came to the thread too late - missed the discount code. Hopefully there will be a Black Friday sale (hint hint). :smiley:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited November 2017
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:
    *****This is the FIRST week of online orders for us, so please drop us a note about your experience.  Let us know how things went with the online order process, the confirmation & tracking, and most importantly, what the delivered product looked like.  We are very interested to see how the shipping box, and bags inside, held up during their journey to you.  We will be improving the whole process as we go, so your feedback is needed and greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!*****
    Just received my box of 3.
    On-line order process was smooth.
    Shipping box did not hold up well.  
    The corrugated box could be a bit stronger for the journey.  (The shipping boxes used by FireCraft was of better quality).

Attached is a picture of the shipping box.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - you should add a special "previous day delivery" for a really high cost. You just need to get the DeLorean to 88 MPH...

I will see myself out. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Mine order just arrived!  The handle holes look similar to @Tony_T picture.  Of course, then my dog decided to "claim" the box for his territory! 

All in all, the inside was great!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Delivery of order #1029E happened at 10:50 am.  Impressed since I ordered Sunday afternoon and am on the Space Coast of FL. I was coming out my screened porch as the 5 letter guy was making the delivery to the door, complaining about how heavy it was. Used a hand dolly to bring the 60 lb. box up the driveway! How the box looked when he walked back to his truck, not a good sign. Notice the hand hold!
    View from the other side of the box.

Carefully turned the box upright accompanied by much clinking. Uh Oh. This does not sound/look promising.

Carefully cut packing tape on both sides with my box cutter. Bag out of the box, the bottom was folded over in the box more than this shows:

Top of the top bag:

There was charcoal dust all over the top, most went flying in the wind when I took the bag out. Picture of all three bags out of the box no tearing or holes:
    Views of the empty box:

Views of contents of the top bag in the box:
    Picked out some of the larger pieces to show it wasn't all bad.

@stlcharcoal, I know you weren't expecting this but I hope it helps. Thanks for doing this.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    The only upside of the large chunks is that you can make them smaller-not so with the opposite.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Mine order just arrived!  The handle holes look similar to @Tony_T picture.  Of course, then my dog decided to "claim" the box for his territory! 

Hey forgot to tell you, I ordered 4 cases of gator pickles from Jimmy for the store.  Had a few casualties in the box, but he took care of it.  Thanks for introducing me to those!!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks like the product survived beautifully. I'm pleased if all my bags look like that.
    Stillwater, MN
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    anyone ever wonder if the St. Louis Charcoal Company sells to other vendors?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    I'm bummed seeing this pics.  We beat the sh!t out of these boxes here at the warehouse and had shipped a few.  I was all for going to a heavier duty box, but the guy at the box company said this was more than enough.  We will get some better ones made for 3-bag and just use these for 1-2 bags.  I'm going to get some of the super heavy duty water activated tape too.....this was just the heavy duty.  

Thanks for your patience!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm bummed seeing this pics.  We beat the sh!t out of these boxes here at the warehouse and had shipped a few.  I was all for going to a heavier duty box, but the guy at the box company said this was more than enough.  We will get some better ones made for 3-bag and just use these for 1-2 bags.  I'm going to get some of the super heavy duty water activated tape too.....this was just the heavy duty.  

Truck drivers!!! 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options

Hey forgot to tell you, I ordered 4 cases of gator pickles from Jimmy for the store.  Had a few casualties in the box, but he took care of it.  Thanks for introducing me to those!!
    Gator pickles caught my attention...just ordered a couple of jars from Walmart.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:

Gator pickles caught my attention...just ordered a couple of jars from Walmart.
    Didn't know WM carries them.... you won't be disappointed!  You might try their pickled OKRA as well!!

@Possumtrot hooked me on those things so I usually order cases at a time from Jimmy (Direct)!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    @The_Stache Thanks for the heads up...will pick up some of the Okra and try as a Bloody Mary Garnish.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited November 2017
    Options

Truck drivers!!!   Local delivery drivers - smh

@pgprescott fixed that for you ^  

@stlcharcoal I like the way you approach things - two thumbs up 

Phoenix 
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    Order just processed for California. Hopefully this charcoal lives up to the hype.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, @StillH2OEgger, @stlcharcoal - First time opening a RockWood bag of lump so I had no frame of reference. Am used to seeing some dust and small pieces so I really didn't bother me. Just wanted to add to @stlcharcoal's knowledge of how the process was going. It looked mostly fine to me. :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @DoubleEgger, @StillH2OEgger, @stlcharcoal - First time opening a RockWood bag of lump 
    Welcome to the promised land. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I got mine today. Box took a little beating, but not too bad.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • steel_egg
    Options
    fairchase said:
    My 6 bags arrived today. Boxes were torn around the hand holds ,but all the bags looked good. I haven’t opened a bag yet but there was no dust in the box.
    so 1st impression is every thing looks good.
    Same here. My 3 looked good after opening the mangled box. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Box is a bit beat up. Bags in good shape with very little dust on the box. I'd say better condition than most firecraft deliveries, the bags at least. Not sure the handles on the box are worth much. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @theyolksonyou for the love of God, water that poor bush...a little mulch maybe too???
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeremiah Wtf you talking about?  That's a low growing plant and pine straw instead of bark. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @theyolksonyou for the love of God, water that poor bush...a little mulch maybe too???
    It's comments like these that prevent me from hosting an event.  
    I figured it was a weed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    It's comments like these that prevent me from hosting an event.  
    I figured it was a weed.
    Ironically, I nearly crashed into the other car in the driveway when I got home and Amy was actually weeding the beds.