Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Online Ordering

Options

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @theyolksonyou for the love of God, water that poor bush...a little mulch maybe too???
    It's comments like these that prevent me from hosting an event.  
    Oh yeah that's what's holding you back. The bushes....
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Mine was delivered yesterday, box was in perfect condition.  2 of the bags had a very tiny ripped hole but not big enough to spill any charcoal, very pleased!  Also, I am only about 150 miles away so was one of the closer shipments.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My box of 3 bags was delivered today. Was a bit beat up, similar to some of the others posted. The bags seemed to be in decent shape, haven't opened one up yet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AppStateDDS
    Options
    I just had a 9:30pm delivery from the five letter carrier.  Got my three bags.  Box was beat up, will inspect bags tomorrow.  I’m happy to get them delivered nonetheless, otherwise it’s a decent round trip to buy them “locally.”  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @theyolksonyou for the love of God, water that poor bush...a little mulch maybe too???
    Time to find another wife. Can’t believe the father in law doesn’t weed the flower beds. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Time to find another wife. Can’t believe the father in law doesn’t weed the flower beds. 
    What do I care so long as I don't have to do it?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Maybe you could find one (wife) with a JOB!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    After 16 yrs of maternity leave, it's cheaper to keep her. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Jeremiah said:
    He married up!!  Don't mess with success.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Jeremiah said:
    I figured it was a weed.
    Ironically, I nearly crashed into the other car in the driveway when I got home and Amy was actually weeding the beds. 
    Weed in bed?

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I agree with there being little need for the handles in the boxes. As for cardboard manufacturers, they lie. In a perfect world those would be the perfect boxes.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    … Not sure the handles on the box are worth much. 
    Handles? I thought those holes were there to quickly open the package. :)
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I think the handles are unnecessary and when they are used and fail (understandably given the weight), the box crashes to the floor.  Thus, eliminating them ends that issue.

I don't think the cost tradeoff of a double wall box is worth it. The boxes will still be thrown around - there just won't be evidence of it, which will make claims against the carrier in extreme cases more difficult. The damage to the contents will remain as the contents will still take the same abuse. What would also help, if possible, would be to fold the bags and make the box fit as tightly around the bags as possible - that would minimize the box crushing and also give the lump no opportunity to bang against itself and break - the breakage would have to be caused by the box being banged around (which will happen regardless).

Amazon has started to use much less packing material in their boxes. They come flattened, crushed, etc. Surprisingly, the contents are rarely damaged.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I think the handles are unnecessary and when they are used and fail (understandably given the weight), the box crashes to the floor.  Thus, eliminating them ends that issue.

I don't think the cost tradeoff of a double wall box is worth it. The boxes will still be thrown around - there just won't be evidence of it, which will make claims against the carrier in extreme cases more difficult. The damage to the contents will remain as the contents will still take the same abuse. What would also help, if possible, would be to fold the bags and make the box fit as tightly around the bags as possible - that would minimize the box crushing and also give the lump no opportunity to bang against itself and break - the breakage would have to be caused by the box being banged around (which will happen regardless).

Amazon has started to use much less packing material in their boxes. They come flattened, crushed, etc. Surprisingly, the contents are rarely damaged.

Yeah, those boxes are as tight as they can be when they leave here.  Had a tough time closing a few of them.

Looking at the pics, it's amazing how much the bags settle and break down during the ride.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Good to hear a new box is in the works.

My 3 bags were delivered yesterday, the box was toast. Bottom fell out as I picked it up, both “handles” were ripped. Bags are fine however.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I agree with there being little need for the handles in the boxes. As for cardboard manufacturers, they lie. In a perfect world those would be the perfect boxes.

This is a good cardboard company--family owned, and good STL family.  I did some aerial photography of the plant back when I was the pilot, and know the family through a few different people.

They could have sold me a double wall box built like a tank, but they thought this would be enough and save me (ultimately, the customer) money.  I sent them a few pics yesterday afternoon and the owner's son texted me last night that they would be working on a better box today.  Should have them early next week!

Live and learn......I'm not too worried about it.
    Volunteering here for a test shipment. ;)
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Here's how the trip to Wisco went. Kind of felt sorry for the delivery guy as he had to carry it up to the front door completely in the dark last night. Box overall looks better than some. Contents looked good, one rip about 3" long in the middle bag. Thanks @stlcharcoal!

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Is this the first load to CA?   Hand holds ripped, a small hole in one side & a box looks a little beat up but bags look okay.  Can’t wait to try the Rockwood I’ve been hearing about.  Bought my 1st 2 bags of Royal Oak last week & guess it’ll be relegated to clean burns.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Fed Ex guy dropped mine off yesterday, left the box on the front porch and I never realized it.  The box looks fine and the internals look great.  The box had some clear tape over the white tape, not sure if this was done by STL Charcoal or Fed Ex.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Hey folks, stop giving this data away!  Companies pay huge sums of money to get this type of feedback!!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Fed Ex guy dropped mine off yesterday, left the box on the front porch and I never realized it.  The box looks fine and the internals look great.  The box had some clear tape over the white tape, not sure if this was done by STL Charcoal or Fed Ex.

Any clear tape would have been them.......when use (used) the white water activated stuff.  I have some new super heavy duty tape coming today, so hopefully that doesn't rip like this did.
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Received my 6 bags. Boxes were in rough shape but the contents were good. No tears in the bags and very little dust. Thanks @stlcharcoal

XL BGE
    MD
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If any one wants to be a guinea pig for the two new different box prototypes, give you 10% off.  They're much heavier than the existing box, and one is double wall.

Only conditions......has to be one order of 3-bags (free shipping), you have to be OUTSIDE of the Midwest so these actually get some miles on them, then take several pictures of the delivery before you open the box.  Just email them to me and we're good.  Only two uses of this coupon code available, then it's dead-->  NEWBOX

Edit...1 down, 1 to go at 5:28 cst.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @theyolksonyou now about hosting that event... =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If any one wants to be a guinea pig for the two new different box prototypes, give you 10% off.  They're much heavier than the existing box, and one is double wall.

Only conditions......has to be one order of 3-bags (free shipping), you have to be OUTSIDE of the Midwest so these actually get some miles on them, then take several pictures of the delivery before you open the box.  Just email them to me and we're good.  Only two uses of this coupon code available, then it's dead-->  NEWBOX

Edit...1 down, 1 to go at 5:28 cst.

Done!
    Shipping to NY, so you'll get those miles on the Box!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Sleeping at the bourbon fueled switch-That's what I get for taking a friggin picture of a bottle of bourbon.  I will survive.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Well, thanks to @stlcharcoal 's box research, I got myself a boxwood and a bale of pinestraw courtesy of @jeremiah , a-hole. 

:rofl:
    This made chuckle. Well played, Jeremiah!
    Stillwater, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Sold!  Thanks guys, let me know how it goes.  

Everybody else.....there should be a contest going up on Instagram tomorrow.  Win 2 bags of charcoal, swag, spices, and sauce.