Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood Online Ordering

Options

Comments

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SeanP said:
    Firecraft was selling it for $24.95, free shipping over $100.

My last 3 purchases at Firecraft was @ 21.95
      ROCKWOOD 20LB BAG LUMP CHARCOAL 5 at $21.95

Still, with the 10% discount this weekend, its a good deal @ Rockwood @ $24.25
    (Wish I had the room for more that the 3 bags I ordered)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    My last house I had storage a plenty.  Buying bulk was not a big deal and worth the savings.  My new house lacks storage for charcoal.  Having a steady supply available at the click of a button is worth it.  I think of it as @stlcharcoal paying to store it for me.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    SeanP said:

They raised it to $24.95 mid-summer 2017.  But it had been at $21.95 for nearly three years prior to that.....with 'free' shipping.  And that's pretty good considering the freight to get it there kept going up, and with FedEx's 4.9% increase each year.  Everybody should be thankful of how cheap you got it all those years.  Truth be told, when we needed to ship sample bags, replacement bags, or sponsor a blogger with a few, I would get on their website and buy them with my credit card--it was cheaper to buy my own charcoal back at retail, than it was to box and ship it myself.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +7
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    Compared to the cost of what goes on the cooking grid, what goes under it is a pittance. 
    Agreed. Why, when I'm cooking a few hundred dollars of Wagyu beef I just go ahead and load up the binchotan!

http://www.korin.com/Kishu-White-Binchotan-Otsukomaru_3?sc=56&category=17860587
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    DMW said:
    I went in and got about a half of the orders boxed this afternoon.  Hopefully we'll have the rest finished tomorrow.  No way FedEx is coming to get all these on their route, so they'll get dropped off at the main hub.

One of those is mine, take extra special care of it.
    I will pay you $50 if you find @DMW order and just send him 3 bags of fines.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    I went in and got about a half of the orders boxed this afternoon.  Hopefully we'll have the rest finished tomorrow.  No way FedEx is coming to get all these on their route, so they'll get dropped off at the main hub.

One of those is mine, take extra special care of it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    :rofl:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    My last house I had storage a plenty.  Buying bulk was not a big deal and worth the savings.  My new house lacks storage for charcoal.  Having a steady supply available at the click of a button is worth it.  I think of it as @stlcharcoal paying to store it for me.
    I suppose you're the kind of guy who thinks that cars should be parked in the garage. Pffffftttt.

• caliking
    Options

I don't believe this... NO BUBBLE WRAP?!!?

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:

I don't believe this... NO BUBBLE WRAP?!!?
    The bubble wrap is in the bags. Each piece is individually wrapped @caliking   Duh
  • jeponline
    Options
    Tony_T said:
    SeanP said:

My last order at firecraft when it was still 21.95 per bag came out to 79.84 because I only ordered 3 bags and had to pay shipping. A 3 bag order yesterday was 80.85 pre discount. I’m fine with the 1.01 increase for my 3 bag order. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited November 2017
    Options
    That's why I ordered 5, for the free shipping! (my storage is tight, the xtra 2 bags was tough to store)
    Anyway, as I've said, I'm grateful that Rockwood is doing on-line ordering (got 3 bags yesterday! :))
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this lump so just ordered 3 bags.   
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Am I the only one wishing @stlcharcoal made their smoking chunks available online too? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Thank you, @stlcharcoal
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    So what’s better ordering (Edit: online) or buying at ace. My ace is 30min away but I’m in the area often 
    Question is, how much is your time worth?  
    THIS.  I would drive 36 miles round trip to the closest store to me to get RW.  Total time invested in getting it, after I browsed the store for a few minutes would be over an hour.  

Additionally, by buying direct from @stlcharcoal I'm cutting out someone handling the bags an extra time or three.  If that means I'm coughing up an extra $5-$6, so be it.  I cough up an extra $5-$6 PER POUND when I order a SRF brisket.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • HoustonEgger
    Options

@stlcharcoal if you call FedEx ahead of time and alert them to an over-sized shipping day, they will send a bigger truck for you. Least that's what works for us on big shipping days
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Am I the only one wishing @stlcharcoal made their smoking chunks available online too? 

Yeah, probably by the case (8 bags) and we'll mix cases (4+4).  It's on the list of things, but need to get this up and running smoothly first.

Stoogie said:

Additionally, by buying direct from @stlcharcoal I'm cutting out someone handling the bags an extra time or three.  
    Maybe....but how many more bag handlers in the middle.  No doubt it travels better on a pallet than in a box.  But we'll see.

@stlcharcoal if you call FedEx ahead of time and alert them to an over-sized shipping day, they will send a bigger truck for you. Least that's what works for us on big shipping days
    Yeah I called my rep to see about that.  Waiting to hear back.  Otherwise, no biggie--it's only 20 minutes and then it's on my schedule and not theirs.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    hey @stlcharcoal Any idea why I can't seem to find Rockwood on the ACE website to order to our local store?  I tried name search and the SKU# you provided and it can't locate it.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Very happy for
    this news..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    hey @stlcharcoal Any idea why I can't seem to find Rockwood on the ACE website to order to our local store?  I tried name search and the SKU# you provided and it can't locate it.
    Call the local store and give them the SKU. They will have it on their next order
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    Options

That should be on their website as soon as this Thursday.....that's when it's supposed to be unrestricted/nationwide.  For now, you'll have to ask the store to order it (which any store except CA, AZ, and NV can do today.)  After Thursday, it should be everybody.  Stay tuned.
  • Pondergary
    Options

We all may complain but we'll still buy it, it's still the best!  BUT watch out when you buy from ACE because they throw the bags off the truck making smaller pieces.  I did a long cook with an 8lb Butt and had to add more a couple of times.

One thing with Firecraft they were BIG Chunks.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    FYI, on Sunday I found KSCO Supply, through Walmart.com, selling two bags for $52.22 with free shipping.  I placed the order and felt like an idiot today when I noticed the picture showed the front and rear of the bag and that I had paid $52.22 for one 20# bag.  Cancelled (luckily) the order and just signed up for three bags from STL.  Wisdom never comes easy!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Im gonna get some binchotan and grill some ball park hot dogs like a boss 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)