Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deploying with OBR

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @foghorn - the Fog clan had the distinction of being involved in BBQ relief efforts across 2 generations, in 2 different cities. Bravo.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    edited September 2017
    Options
    We had a great shift this morning and found plenty of stuff to do. Janell and I had to head back home (after a 2 Bloody Mary brunch and a nap). Got home to people hoarding gas and food like they were in the disaster zone even though we are 200 miles away. I already miss the "we are all in it together" vibe we were feeling in H-Town. 

Wish we could has stayed longer but family duty called us back. My wing was functional but throbbing pretty bad by the time we pulled out of town. I wish we could have done more but proud of the work we did this week. Was so nice to see first AND 2nd gen forum people (Fog, you have a lot to be proud of) helping out this week. 

Thanks for following along. I think some of our Houston crew have more to come but TFJ and I have punched our time card and the baton has been passed. 

We are whipped but fulfilled.

Good night

Scratching my head as to why things are that bad Austin side. Folks were back to driving like aholes (i.e. pre storm normal) 2 days after the rain stopped. 

Always good to see TFJ and you. And the effort made to come down and pitch in was appreciated by us all.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    We had a great shift this morning and found plenty of stuff to do. Janell and I had to head back home (after a 2 Bloody Mary brunch and a nap). Got home to people hoarding gas and food like they were in the disaster zone even though we are 200 miles away. I already miss the "we are all in it together" vibe we were feeling in H-Town. 

Wish we could has stayed longer but family duty called us back. My wing was functional but throbbing pretty bad by the time we pulled out of town. I wish we could have done more but proud of the work we did this week. Was so nice to see first AND 2nd gen forum people (Fog, you have a lot to be proud of) helping out this week. 

Thanks for following along. I think some of our Houston crew have more to come but TFJ and I have punched our time card and the baton has been passed. 

Good night

Scratching my head as to why things are that bad Austin side. Folks were back to driving like aholes (i.e. pre storm normal) 2 days after the rain stopped. 

Always good to see TFJ and you. And the effort made to come down and pitch in was appreciated by us all.
    Always good to see you too. Hopefully next time I see you I won't be covered in sweat and grease and smell like smoke...wait, that's what we are like every time we see each other. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Some days you're slicing and sometimes your cleaning burnt crap, grease and carbon buildup out of a huge smoker or hauling coolers full of past temp meat to a greasy, fly filled dumpster. Let's say, I sliced meat yesterday. 

But the payoff

Over 150,000 meals over 5 days, with 30,000 expected today. 

I expect this this will wrap up in the next week, as Houston gets back on its feet.

As Irma works its way across the Atlantic, consider contributing or volunteering.  

With @The Cen-Tex Smoker and J

I look a little stoned but in my defense, it was very early :)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    To all of you that were able to volunteer - bravo! You have my utmost respect. All of the men that I grew up around were the kind of folks that worked hard and would give the shirt off their back to someone in need. I'm so glad to see that there are many folks who still have that kind of heart. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to take us with you with posts and pics, on your heartwarming, hardworking and exhausting journey. Bravo. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Bravos not required (for me, anyway).  While I have been going back and forth, trying to ease their load during peak activity, there are quite a few folks from all over that haven't been more than two blocks from that parking lot since things kicked off. 

As @The Cen-Tex Smoker said (more or less), its nice to be able to bust your butt for a few hours and retire to your own casa, take a shower, and relax with a steak, roasted fingerling potatoes, a fresh green salad, olive bread and a pretty good pinot (or, in his case, a familiar, well air conditioned casa).

Since my office is catty corner from the OBR operation, I'll be able to keep a hand in during the week.  I esxpect that I'd be less enthusiastic about an "away game", like those with OBR sleeping in campers or cars. 

My lessons learned from this:
    1. $ > small donations of stuff for a big operation like this
    2. Time is worth giving, and makes a big difference
    3. There are plenty of things that need doing that aren't getting done, and if you are first to grab the scaper, cart, knife, etc., it's your job to do
    4. I am old and soft, and there are a few crusty 60 somethings that could take me in a scrap (if they caught me after cleaning the inside of a minivan-sized smoker)
    5. If your social group does a clothing/blanket/food drive, target a small community or organization (like @Foghorn did in SA). For big operations, if its less than a pallet, it is a handfull to manage
    I will keep posting pictures through the week, and appreciate @The Cen-Tex Smoker for finding these guys and all of you who contributed to this and other Harvey relief efforts.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    Options
    @Foghorn you're an ok dude.

Sometimes.

When you're not gloating about winning a wing cook-off.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Those are great thoughts @20stone.  I'll add the following.

If you haven't given until it hurts, you haven't really given.  My "contribution" on Saturday was something for which they could have charged me $200 in an admission fee (cook with 12 competition BBQ teams who are all coming together for a good cause).  That was no martyr situation.  

Last night I had dinner with by buddy Scott, who helped us do some butchering at the last AWSS event at your house.  He manages 2 hotels near the Houston airport but his family lives in San Antonio.  He made it back on Saturday for the first time since the storm.  He's been working essentially nonstop since then, using his hotels to house and feed nursing home residents and his own employees who have been displaced.  Well after the storm passed and his hotels seemed OK, a tree fell and took out the power to one of his hotels.  He had generators to run everything but the A/C.   While in San Antonio he went to HEB to load his car up with everything he can to help his employees get back on their feet (cleaning products, etc).  His company has given him a small amount of money to contribute to the cause (few thousand) and he's in the position of having to figure out how to best help them - buy stuff and bring it to the hotel for distribution? vs give them cash?  And if you give them cash, how do you decide how much you get?  Do the people who can't get back in their homes get more than those who can?  Or does the fact that the company is feeding and housing them count for their assistance and you give the money to those who are out buying supplies and getting back into their homes?

Anyway, I gave Scott some money to help his employees.  He's a good man who will do his best to do the right thing in a tough time.  We will keep in touch as this moves forward and if he identifies a need he knows he can count on me to contribute more as he sorts out specifics.  Now I've contributed.

Awesome. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

We are down to regular unleaded only in my neighborhood. I saw a guy filling up 20....yes 20 5 gallon cans this morning. Now he could own a landscaping business or something but he looked like a normal suburban dad hoarding gas to me. That is the issue- we are getting our normal gas deliveries, it's just disappearing 5X faster than normal. Not cool.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

We are down to regular unleaded only in my neighborhood. I saw a guy filling up 20....yes 20 5 gallon cans this morning. Now he could own a landscaping business or something but he looked like a normal suburban dad hoarding gas to me. That is the issue- we are getting our normal gas deliveries, it's just disappearing 5X faster than normal. Not cool.

In San Antonio I've heard that gas supply is down 20-30% and that demand is up over 100%.  Some of it is storm evacuees filling up to head back to their homes.  But a lot of it is people just hoarding gas.  

I live 4 miles from my work.  It normally takes between 8 (not rush hour) and 20 (rush hour) minutes to get home.  Last Thursday and Friday it took over an hour each day because of the lines at gas stations extending out into all lanes of traffic blocking flow.  Thursday night we had to change our dinner plans due to our inability to get to a restaurant because there was a gas station between our house and our destination.

As a result of the increased demand and slightly decreased supply, over 70% of gas stations in town did not have gas by Friday night.  It was over 80% by Saturday night.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

Was in Austin this weekend for the game.  Trying to get gas for the drive back to midland was a beating.  Had enough to get to LLano then was able to fill up without a problem.  On my way into town, took me 35 minutes to get 3 gallons in Spicewood,  I gave up.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    This is great thread here on the forum.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker and @20stone you are great people for what you are doing I wish I could get away to help as well.  I have met Stan Hays before and talked to him a few times mostly at my Egg dealers store and he is a great person and has created something that people didn't realize was needed.

I know before the storm hit Stan and other BBQ teams that are in Houston now feeding people were gearing up to go compete at the American Royal this last weekend and ORB usually has a big party and fundraiser on Friday night as well.  They knew what was more important and headed to give food and help where it is needed.  My Egg dealer and other BBQ stores in the KC area have jars set out to help collect money when people come in for supplies.  My guess I hope people are giving a little more right now.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I hope your bicep surgery goes well for you and listen to what your physical therapist tells you to do and don't tell them that it was easy or you will regret it.   I have found that out a few times when in therapy for back issues, two hip replacements and shoulder tear.

Keep up the great work. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited September 2017
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

Was in Austin this weekend for the game.  Trying to get gas for the drive back to midland was a beating.  Had enough to get to LLano then was able to fill up without a problem.  On my way into town, took me 35 minutes to get 3 gallons in Spicewood,  I gave up.  
    I hoarded one 5gal gas can so I wouldnt have to wait/hunt for gas every 150 miles. But that should put me over the top for a month or two.

Who's the foo now? =)
    Gittin' there...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    This is great thread here on the forum.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker and @20stone you are great people for what you are doing I wish I could get away to help as well.  I have met Stan Hays before and talked to him a few times mostly at my Egg dealers store and he is a great person and has created something that people didn't realize was needed.

I know before the storm hit Stan and other BBQ teams that are in Houston now feeding people were gearing up to go compete at the American Royal this last weekend and ORB usually has a big party and fundraiser on Friday night as well.  They knew what was more important and headed to give food and help where it is needed.  My Egg dealer and other BBQ stores in the KC area have jars set out to help collect money when people come in for supplies.  My guess I hope people are giving a little more right now.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker I hope your bicep surgery goes well for you and listen to what your physical therapist tells you to do and don't tell them that it was easy or you will regret it.   I have found that out a few times when in therapy for back issues, two hip replacements and shoulder tear.

Keep up the great work. 
    @Ladeback69, I just spoke to someone who competed at the American Royal last weekend. She said that a lot of money was raised for OBR at the event as they were prevalent in people's thoughts.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

The drive back wasn't the only beating, sorry to note.
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

When there's a shortage around here, the gas stations limit how much fuel you can get. Usually $50-75. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

Man, I was trying to find the words for that exact sentiment.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    TA&M too.  That was a historic loss.  Went to school there, don't like to see them lose, but it's not my main team.
    Options
    this thread convinced my wife and I to contribute to Operationbbqrelief,org...thanks to everyone for all that you have done and for opening our minds...lets's whip Irma now and help those who need it
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Legume said:
    caliking said:

Good night

Words hurt fellas...  words hurt.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Legume said:
    caliking said:

Good night

Words hurt fellas...  words hurt.
    Hey, sorry for your pain.  Hope you get a bowl game this year.
    Options
    caliking said:

Good night

Your boy Herman was our number one target when Spurrier hung up the visor. While not a good start for you guys....I think you got a good man. Hang in there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ike said:
    this thread convinced my wife and I to contribute to Operationbbqrelief,org...thanks to everyone for all that you have done and for opening our minds...lets's whip Irma now and help those who need it
    Thanks! I know they will
    appreciate it. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Ike said:
    $1 donated = 1 meal according to the OBR folks. A lot of folks will appreciate your donation.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Surgery on the wing done yesterday afternoon. Resting comfortably so far. The nerve blocker has not worn off yet so no pain to speak of. Not expecting anything too bad cut have some Percocet to help out if needed. Long recovery ahead but should be semi functioning again in 60 days. 

Doc said the worst day would be saturday because that's when all the drugs would be leaving my system and I would be in withdrawal. I thought that was cute. :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I'm quite sure you have an few alternatives for the drug departure.  You can even get a head-start.
    Thanks for the update.  Hope the recovery process comes in ahead of schedule and with less pain.  That said, I'm sure the PT will not be fun.    
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.