Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night and the EggHead Forum option of the forum choices is eerie quiet- I need to get a life!

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,463
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Not me, chicken **** might be good (dunno) but the ice nope 🙂‍↔️
    Ice was a deliberate fight starter ;)  I like this with 1-2 of the small cubes.  It benefits from a splash.  Most bourbon I like neat, but certain ones really open up with a touch of water.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,747
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Ice was a deliberate fight starter ;)  I like this with 1-2 of the small cubes.  It benefits from a splash.  Most bourbon I like neat, but certain ones really open up with a touch of water.
    As does most scotches

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,327
    edited April 20
    Options
    Botch said:
    Okay, it's Friday night and the 5 pm news is all about our new la-dee-dah NHL team, so I'm going to start a fight.

Seasoning the edges of steaks, fish and chops IS WRONG!!  Fight me!  

If you salt the top of a steak, all the salt is concentrated there:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

As the salt sinks into the meat (not thru osmosis, but some other process (Fight me!)), eventually salt reaches the bottom of the steak, albeit weaker than at the top:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

If you let the steak sit in the frig long enough, the salt will eventually be evenly distributed throughout the meat, but by that time the proteins are denatured and other big words, so you don't want to do that.  Now, if you salt just the bottom of the steak, and let it sit overnight, the reverse happens:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 
      5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

So, most of us salt both the top and the bottom, and the salt levels throughout the thickness add and becomes equal in a short amount of time:

6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 

Now let's imagine what happens when you salt just the edge (we'll say the left edge for this graphically-poor example), and let it sit overnight; then you get a seasoning distro like this:

5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0  
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0

(see where I'm going with this?)
    If you follow the advice of too many ewetube cooks, and salt the top, bottom, AND the edges of your steak, and let it set overnight, the final salt distribution is once again additive, and you get this:

11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6   
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6 
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6

...and the perimeter of your steak is overseasoned, roughly equal to the thickness of your steak.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  :tongue:

-----

So, what should you do to season a cylindrical shape of protein, like a tenderloin?  By my thinking, salt it evenly all the way around the cut, but not on the ends, or they'll be overseasoned, as per above.  What about an odd-shaped cut, like a butt or worse, a tri-tip?  I guess at that point you eyeball it, and try to season more light on the corners and tips (just salt the entire thing when the aspect ratio falls under 1.618, that would be too hard to draw).  :glasses:

Can you tell I'm bored tonight?  :sleepy:

You are wrong about all of this, because you’re assuming Fickian diffusion. Kenji has shown that NaCl diffusion into RCH(NH2)COOH is decidedly non-Fickian.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    Okay, it's Friday night and the 5 pm news is all about our new la-dee-dah NHL team, so I'm going to start a fight.

Seasoning the edges of steaks, fish and chops IS WRONG!!  Fight me!  

If you salt the top of a steak, all the salt is concentrated there:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

As the salt sinks into the meat (not thru osmosis, but some other process (Fight me!)), eventually salt reaches the bottom of the steak, albeit weaker than at the top:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

If you let the steak sit in the frig long enough, the salt will eventually be evenly distributed throughout the meat, but by that time the proteins are denatured and other big words, so you don't want to do that.  Now, if you salt just the bottom of the steak, and let it sit overnight, the reverse happens:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 
      5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

So, most of us salt both the top and the bottom, and the salt levels throughout the thickness add and becomes equal in a short amount of time:

6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 

Now let's imagine what happens when you salt just the edge (we'll say the left edge for this graphically-poor example), and let it sit overnight; then you get a seasoning distro like this:

5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0  
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0

(see where I'm going with this?)
    If you follow the advice of too many ewetube cooks, and salt the top, bottom, AND the edges of your steak, and let it set overnight, the final salt distribution is once again additive, and you get this:

11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6   
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6 
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6

...and the perimeter of your steak is overseasoned, roughly equal to the thickness of your steak.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  :tongue:

-----

So, what should you do to season a cylindrical shape of protein, like a tenderloin?  By my thinking, salt it evenly all the way around the cut, but not on the ends, or they'll be overseasoned, as per above.  What about an odd-shaped cut, like a butt or worse, a tri-tip?  I guess at that point you eyeball it, and try to season more light on the corners and tips (just salt the entire thing when the aspect ratio falls under 1.618, that would be too hard to draw).  :glasses:

Can you tell I'm bored tonight?  :sleepy:

You are wrong about all of this, because you’re assuming Fickian diffusion. 
    Salt is a weird critter. As I understand it, salt seeks equilibrium. So it does not matter where you salt- eventually that salt will distribute equally through a cut of meat through the cell walls via the water in the muscle. If you salt the whole cut, it will season the entire steak/meat more quickly. But, if you set a tenderloin, for example, on a plate of salt, it will eventually find equilibrium in the whole piece of meat (it would take a day or 2 vs a few hours if you salted it all the way around). Fight me! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Dobie said:

Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:

I can be conciliatory too!

No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,667
    Options
    JohnInCarolina said:
    You are wrong about all of this, because you’re assuming Fickian diffusion. Kenji has shown that NaCl diffusion into RCH(NH2)COOH is decidedly non-Fickian.
    Fick you!  :tongue:  What does Kenji know, he salts the edges of his steaks!  And ol' Adolf based his theory on

Hah, I had to look it up, a different Kenji.  (touché)
    Now I'm wondering what effect the orientation of the meat fibers/cells has (vertical for a T-bone, horizontal for a skirt)

Wiki only mentioned this:
    Food production and cooking
    The formulation of Fick's first law can explain a variety of complex phenomena in the context of food and cooking: Diffusion of molecules such as ethylene promotes plant growth and ripening, salt and sugar molecules promotes meat brining and marinating, and water molecules promote dehydration. Fick's first law can also be used to predict the changing moisture profiles across a spaghetti noodle as it hydrates during cooking. These phenomena are all about the spontaneous movement of particles of solutes driven by the concentration gradient. In different situations, there is different diffusivity which is a constant.[20]
    By controlling the concentration gradient, the cooking time, shape of the food, and salting can be controlled.

And the grammar of that last sentence, uff-dah.  

Forget "partying" like it's 1999; just let me shop like that again.  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,737
    Options
    Sneaks in after a movie to check on the Friday night thread...backs out slowly.

btw, Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is really good, especially if you like Guy Ritchie movies.
    Not a felon
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Just kicking things off and setting the tone for the evening. Like a pace car, if you will. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,433
    Options
    Legume said:

btw, Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare is really good, especially if you like Guy Ritchie movies.
    Just about to go see it.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,724
    Options
    It's still Friday!
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Legume said:

Just about to go see it.
    I love Guy Richie movies.  Didn’t even know it was coming out.  I don’t see any move trailers on any of my entertainment platforms.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Almost there.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,904
    Options
    It is Friday and it remains quiet for me.  Nothing of any importance on the near horizon.
    Stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Not much here either, thank God for NBA playoffs.
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 10
    Options
    Moving solid concrete columns (9.5' tall, 1.5' diameter, with a base that is 2'x2', they came from a greek restaurant). Maths say they are ~2700 lbs, but after loading one on a trailer I suspect they are at least 3500 lbs (the measurement of weight not sterling).  Was planning to load two on a single car hauler, but it hit the bump stops and axels flexed out, so only moving 1 at a time.

Two guys a few jacks, some levers, and a winch.

(it felt ironic hitting "post" on a comment about columns.)

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,833
    Options
    Looks safe @Ozzie_Isaac
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Looks safe @Ozzie_Isaac
    OSHA approved!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Does this make you a columnist?

*crickets*
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Options
    Cheers to everyone tonight. I’d love to hang out, but my daughter’s driving into town from Tallahassee after that town got hit pretty hard from a few tornados and much of the city (including her apartment) is without power…
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Cheers to everyone tonight. I’d love to hang out, but my daughter’s driving into town from Tallahassee after that town got hit pretty hard from a few tornados and much of the city (including her apartment) is without power…
    Sorry to hear. Hope everyone is okay. I’m sure the visit will be a welcome reprieve. 
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,146
    Options
    My night 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Stormbringer

Please be sure to report back on your morning. 
  • Botch
    Options
    ....Was planning to load two on a single car hauler, but it hit the bump stops and axels flexed out, so only moving 1 at a time.

I bought my first Saab a few weeks after my 25th birthday (used '86 900 Turbo with sunroof).  One feature I loved was the hatchback; if I removed the headrests from the back seats, they could fold down completely flat, from bumper to rear trunk over the seat backs; I could fit/haul 4x8 sheets of plywood!  

Got permission from my landlord to build a raised-bed garden in the back yard, and bought 6 railroad ties at the local lumberyard.  Pulled up to the dock and started loading them, they fit!  
    But when I dropped in the fourth tie, I heard an odd "thunk", looked around, and realized my rear suspension was completely bottomed out.  I pulled the fourth tie out and decided to make two trips, and made arrangements with the lumberyard to hold my other three ties.  I drove home very slowly, and still banged the bump stops (if a car even has them) often; should've done three trips with two ties apiece.

Got a load of dirt hauled in for my new garden, planted, tended, watered, and learned living on the edge of a beautiful woods guaranteed that "critters" would do your harvest before you could; I never got even a single tomato.  Part of a string of expensive disappointments I guess most of us go through...

I'm still proud of my wonderful sports sedan that could haul railroad ties!  

• Canugghead
    Options
    @Botch love your story, reminds me of hauling a large steel office armoire on the roof of my Ford Taurus that didn't even have a roof rack. 
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Options
    @Botch love your story, reminds me of hauling a large steel office armoire on the roof of my Ford Taurus that didn't even have a roof rack. 
    Owch!  Photos?  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    Botch said:
    Owch!  Photos?  
    Reminded me of this classic pix from a couple decades ago...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Options
    Botch said:
    Owch!  Photos?  
    sorry no pic, you have to take my words for it, I can show you pic of the armoire though.
    canuckland