Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night and the EggHead Forum option of the forum choices is eerie quiet- I need to get a life!

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    No one needs any of these, but I thought a few were laugh-worthy and so am reposting here…..

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,667
    Options

Forget "partying" like it's 1999; just let me shop like that again.  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Botch said:

The first and last are my faves. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,463
    Options
    Botch said:

What is she reading?   Looks like a National Geographic type article, but the magazine color pallet looks wrong.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,904
    Options
    Bump as it is Friday.  Perhaps some shenanigans on someone's near-term horizon but not here.  DVR is programmed for all six of the NCAA Semi's and Championship games thru Monday night.  Also LEO is a regularly scheduled event.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,387
    Options
    Just for you Frank 

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,550
    edited April 5
    Options
    I’ve posted it before, but it continues to be my very favourite print error/innuendo. Our boy George has got stamina!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    At a blind wine tasting … I scored 5/5 🍷

Duck getting ready for tomorrow 

@stormbringer, does that mean that you correctly surmised the varietal in each glass - or was there more to it?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    Just for you Frank 

@DoubleEgger - your timing is spot-on.  Just yesterday I contacted a company that was shipping my order via FedEx.  Originally scheduled to be delivered Wednesday, then yesterday.  Arrived early this afternoon.  
    I did suggest to the company (via email) that when time to renew the shipping contract they go with UPS.  I actually got a thoughtful response.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,146
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@stormbringer, does that mean that you correctly surmised the varietal in each glass - or was there more to it?
    We were told the five wines in the glasses but not which wine was in each glass. I correctly identified the five wines. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,328
    Options
    Foghorn said:

We were told the five wines in the glasses but not which wine was in each glass. I correctly identified the five wines. 
    This isn’t as impressive as some might think.  After you get the first three right, the last two are basically a coin toss…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Foghorn said:

This isn’t as impressive as some might think.  After you get the first three right, the last two are basically a coin toss…

Nice, @Stormbringer

I’ll never forget a tasting with family years back... They were one of each common spirit variety - vodka, rum, scotch, rye, bourbon, tequila, etc. Only one player got them all right. 
  • Stormbringer
    edited April 5
    Options
    Foghorn said:

We weren’t told the identities of wines until all five guesses were submitted. No chance for a coin toss. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• lousubcap
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina -you assume (hate that word) the contestants were told their standing as the tasting went on.  
    In the few bourbon tastings I have participated in there was no insight until the great reveal as had.  
    FWIW-
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Met some friends a local joint.  Enjoyed a few glasses of mead and a fantastic peach sour.

Also watched a dog try to attack every other dog who walked by.  The owner was almost too drunk to get of the stool and try to corral her dog.  Who brings a misbehaving dog like that to a bar?
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina -you assume (hate that word) the contestants were told their standing as the tasting went on.  
    In the few bourbon tastings I have participated in there was no insight until the great reveal as had.  
    FWIW-
    ^^ this 🍷

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,328
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    FWIW-
    ^^ this 🍷
    Guys - it was a joke 🤦🏻‍♂️
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,724
    Options
    Bump
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Canugghead - Thanks as I am in the middle of a C....... F... with my cell phone carrier.  
    Quiet here other than this little deal.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,724
    Options
    Have fun and good luck cap!
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I'm impressed.  Well done.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    Bump with a PSA -for those venturing into the weed infused cooking realm, tomorrow is 4/20.  Time to bring it!
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I guess I will bring up the anniversary of the Butt Blast(BAM Blast) I think it was this weekend as a general rule. I hope everybody is doing good!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Chicken ****.  A favorite of mine.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac- too many opportunities with that setup.  I will refrain from further comments.   B)
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,420
    edited April 20
    Options
    Not me, chicken **** might be good (dunno) but the ice nope 🙂‍↔️
    Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,667
    Options
    Okay, it's Friday night and the 5 pm news is all about our new la-dee-dah NHL team, so I'm going to start a fight.

Seasoning the edges of steaks, fish and chops IS WRONG!!  Fight me!  

If you salt the top of a steak, all the salt is concentrated there:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

As the salt sinks into the meat (not thru osmosis, but some other process (Fight me!)), eventually salt reaches the bottom of the steak, albeit weaker than at the top:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

If you let the steak sit in the frig long enough, the salt will eventually be evenly distributed throughout the meat, but by that time the proteins are denatured and other big words, so you don't want to do that.  Now, if you salt just the bottom of the steak, and let it sit overnight, the reverse happens:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 
      5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

So, most of us salt both the top and the bottom, and the salt levels throughout the thickness add and becomes equal in a short amount of time:

6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 

Now let's imagine what happens when you salt just the edge (we'll say the left edge for this graphically-poor example), and let it sit overnight; then you get a seasoning distro like this:

5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0  
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0

(see where I'm going with this?)
    If you follow the advice of too many ewetube cooks, and salt the top, bottom, AND the edges of your steak, and let it set overnight, the final salt distribution is once again additive, and you get this:

11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6   
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6 
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6

...and the perimeter of your steak is overseasoned, roughly equal to the thickness of your steak.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  :tongue:

-----

So, what should you do to season a cylindrical shape of protein, like a tenderloin?  By my thinking, salt it evenly all the way around the cut, but not on the ends, or they'll be overseasoned, as per above.  What about an odd-shaped cut, like a butt or worse, a tri-tip?  I guess at that point you eyeball it, and try to season more light on the corners and tips (just salt the entire thing when the aspect ratio falls under 1.618, that would be too hard to draw).  :glasses:

Can you tell I'm bored tonight?  :sleepy:

Forget "partying" like it's 1999; just let me shop like that again.  

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch- time to learn about the Blue and Red lines along with Icing and Off-Sides.  Much easier to comprehend than salt and protein.  
    Besides hockey has quite a regional following unlike salting (aka dry brining) steaks which has a much broader appeal.   =)