Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

papa murphy pizza in egg

Options

Comments

• JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    [quote]I have thrown a bunch of Brisket Camps[/quote]

Uh...when's the next one?!

Actually, I would rather have recipes on some good dishes from Louisiana.
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    @TWags15
    I don't know who is trolling and if they are kidding or what. I need a scorecard to keep up because I am lost.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I assure you there are far fewer trolls wrapped up in the accounts the real troll claims. He is wrong almost 100% of the time. I am going on vacation this summer with 2 of those “Nola” accounts he is so sure of. To my knowledge, Nola will not be there (although he is certainly welcome). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    I never saw the appeal of Papa Murphy's. They cost as much as a pizza baked for you, but you have to cook yourself like a frozen pizza. I'll go with Pizza Hut or Digiorno's.  Now if I got it for free, sure.
    Like someone said, when deliveries don't come to the house, I like getting the cheese NY style pizza and adding toppings from the garden. Soooo good.

As for the original question, I thought I would see if it's been done and how it turned out. I have seen pizza pics where the crust bubbled up and (to me) it didn't look good.
    I'm sure someone here has done it.  If you bake it on the BGE at whatever temp Papa Murphy's recommends, it really should turn out just fine.  The crust will pick up some smoke that in my experience adds something that I appreciate.  It's a flavor you don't actually get in most of the dedicated pizza ovens that cook pies at 900F, because they don't take much more than 90 seconds.  But take-and-bakes are usually designed for 500F or lower and take 8-10 minutes, which is enough time to pick up some smoke. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Cen-Tex-Guess you haven’t been on here long enough to understand facts.

My old signature line said:
    BGE large
    BGE XL
    Kamado Joe Large
    Custom Gravity Feed
    Flameboss 300

I fabricated custom metal BGE tables for my local BGE dealer, and assembled a lot of eggs for him. Some of the forum members own my custom steel tables & carts, and pictures are on older posts here. Have promoted the BGE line since 2014, and sold a lot of them (+40) for my dealer, until he decided to drop the line and sell pellet grills.

So don’t pass judgement on someone that has sold & supported the BGE product line for many years.  I did a lot of demo cooks at my own expense, which sold people to purchase an egg. I was my dealers best salesperson.

Sometimes it’s best to keep your personal opinion to yourself, and not speculate without knowing or researching the facts.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2022
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    I never saw the appeal of Papa Murphy's. They cost as much as a pizza baked for you, but you have to cook yourself like a frozen pizza. I'll go with Pizza Hut or Digiorno's.  Now if I got it for free, sure.
    Like someone said, when deliveries don't come to the house, I like getting the cheese NY style pizza and adding toppings from the garden. Soooo good.

As for the original question, I thought I would see if it's been done and how it turned out. I have seen pizza pics where the crust bubbled up and (to me) it didn't look good.
    I'm sure someone here has done it.  If you bake it on the BGE at whatever temp Papa Murphy's recommends, it really should turn out just fine.  The crust will pick up some smoke that in my experience adds something that I appreciate.  It's a flavor you don't actually get in most of the dedicated pizza ovens that cook pies at 900F, because they don't take much more than 90 seconds.  But take-and-bakes are usually designed for 500F or lower and take 8-10 minutes, which is enough time to pick up some smoke. 
    Agreed- never done one but I have seen dozens done at eggfests. I did not notice anything other that a normal looking PM Pizza. The main thing with cooking store bought pizza or dough in a BGE, is follow the time and temp directions for that pizza or dough. Some people grab a PM then try to cook it like a Neapolitan style pie at 900 degrees. That’s not going to work out well. Not every dough (most, in fact) is made to cook at nuclear temps. Most pizza places cook at 450-500. Some a little lower (I think Whole Foods is more like 350). Just find out where they cook and do that and you’ll be fine. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @nolaegghead
    [quote]I have thrown a bunch of Brisket Camps[/quote]

Uh...when's the next one?!

These are typically held in mid-to-late October.  
  • JohnfromKentucky
    Options
    RyanStl said:

I also forgot to add that I like to reduce the amount of electricity that I use in house plus heat from oven. I'm fine with it tasting like a PM pizza.
  • AnothaStolenGenrator
    Options

Sometimes it’s best to keep your personal opinion to yourself, and not speculate without knowing or researching the facts.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You do catch some smoke (wood fired) accents on the egged pizza.  If you are cooking pizza designed for under 500F ovens the egg is great.  IMO if the style is Napoletana, you end up burning $10-20 worth of lump keeping the temp up for an hour.  I bought a roccbox for those.
    Options
    No papa Murphy's around here. I'd cook it on the egg though 🙂
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    “Dislike” right on cue. You are too easy man. 
  • littlerascal56
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Cen-Tex…all of a sudden I got this “dejavu” feeling from your post.  You sound 100% like Johns posts.  Not close, but EXACTLY word for word!  Uncanny use of words for a Texan for sure.  Almost like a college professor would use. Down right creepy.  I have 1575 posts in 7 years, with dozens of food/cook pictures, tables, smokers, etc. You evidently are not smart enough to view them?  Can’t help you with that…use Google search.

So do all your posts originate from an ISP provider in Durham NC and not TX? Wondering minds want to know!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My god it’s amazing 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Lol this motherfahker might be on to something…. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Cen-Tex…Wow…2 minutes…that was fast John. And your profile shows a BLANK join date?  Very odd…never saw this before on a normal profile.  Strange…really strange.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    little blank…..little blank 
    Options
    Love this saw something similar in a restaurant bathroom in Aruba a few years back. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @RRP you saying you haven’t been to a pizza joint in 40 years?
    YES...that was NOT a misquote! We had some friends...now both deceased with whom we would spend nearly EVERY Friday night at some beer and pizza biz. Even though we tried MANY pizza places locally after they moved away we just found pizzas at home and then later my home made pizzas on a BGE or even when lazy buying a PM pizza worked best for us!  

Trust me @alaskanassin when you get our age and the needed distance to travel, then you MIGHT understand that enjoying food at home is GREAT...Granted some retired folks want to eat out 3 times a day 7 days a week so neither have to cook nor clean up...but sometimes others of us feel differently.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    I get it @RRP Midwest pizza sucks. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Cen-Tex…all of a sudden I got this “dejavu” feeling from your post.  You sound 100% like Johns posts.  Not close, but EXACTLY word for word!  Uncanny use of words for a Texan for sure.  Almost like a college professor would use. Down right creepy.  I have 1575 posts in 7 years, with dozens of food/cook pictures, tables, smokers, etc. You evidently are not smart enough to view them?  Can’t help you with that…use Google search.

So do all your posts originate from an ISP provider in Durham NC and not TX? Wondering minds want to know!

• littlerascal56
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Is this your bathroom in the Quonset?  Is that Bridget’s pic on the wall?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Is this your bathroom in the Quonset?  Is that Bridget’s pic on the wall?

OH MAN SICK BURN!!!  JEEEZUS I CAN'T TAKE THIS RAPIER WIT!!  I'M JUST GONNA HAVE TO DELETE MY 57 ACCOUNTS NOW (BOOOHOOOO!!!!)
    Options
    What happened Bob...really now, I'm serious.  How did you get thrown off Truth Social?  I thought that was impossible....
    Options

Options
    Par for the course….
    This used to be a much more friendlier place!
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I don't understand this sophomoric bickering. Can't certain parties take the high ground. It ruins these legit threads.