Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Great looking and well-executed cook. Too bad about the SM, but I guess you’ll just have to enjoy the anticipation until your next endeavour. 

I, too, often pick my cooker based on the weather predictions and consult multiple, often contradictory sources before placing my bet. I keep an MM on the covered front porch expressly to bail me out if the Eggs in the backyard are hit with rain or snow. 

Guess the obvious and best solution for you is to put in a sick, covered outdoor kitchen. 😂
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743
    @lousubcap beautiful!  I am curious, did you finish both sides caveman style?  

paqman said:
    @lousubcap beautiful!  I am curious, did you finish both sides caveman style?  

I did finish both sides caveman for the crust.  The flaming inferno was from finishing the fat cap side.  That event did not last long. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    @lousubcap I was wondering how it went with the fat cap, would you do it again?  I usually avoid fatty cuts when doing it caveman style.

@paqman - I did the slow (reverse sear) cook with the cap up until the internal temp averaged around 55-56*C.  Then caveman cap up for the initial go, knowing I needed to sear and tighten up the cap thus on it went.  For sure I would do it again with the same technique.  The crust on that cap is great. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    Great outcome but for me I would eat that point nekked!  Nailed it!.  I believe your neighbour (nod) Sue Vide had a major role in the cook.  B)
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    edited August 2023
    My uncle, "king of the year round shorts", Wilfred had walnut cookies. The older he got the more you could see them. One time he was running towards me and he kicked his own walnut cookies right at me, he literally used his shoe to weaponise his walnut cookies. What other baker would do that, honestly?
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    edited August 2023
    Is that you're snapper,?
  • lousubcap
    As always @Canugghead doing it up right for the clan.  Great eats right there.
    Now to get him a real drum set for Xmas... =)
  • It's Civic Holiday here, gathered the clan yesterday.
    Harvested a dry aged USDA prime striploin from the freezer, probably at least 7-8 yo. Lo n Slo in XL till IT 130

intense beefiness

Roast duck from local supermarket, thanks to post covid inflation, price jumped to $40 a duck! Actually it's not that bad, considering a frozen duck costs about $20 and the labour/skills required

Pork shoulder char siu, SV 18 hrs at 165F, chilled/smoked/charred in XL. Tender but not too soft like previous 24 hr attempt. Followed 'chubby hubby sv char siu' recipe. 
    Opened a bag of recently purchased Maple Leaf lump, forgot how good this brand is, haven't used it since the previous group buy with Little Steven

Oldest little man had a blast, the largest bowl suffered multiple mini dents from the giant Chopsticks

Buy him a drumset, like we did for our little one. Especially if his parents are getting on your nerves. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations
    Haha not a bad idea, however there's a baby in the house so it's a no no. They already have a couple of keyboards, and the other grandparents have a grand and a drum set.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    @Canugghead - Looks terrific, per usual! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    @NDG - that is a great piece of work.  The first two and last photos are definitely magazine quality.  Nailed it right there.  Congrats. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    lousubcap said:
    A different take on ABT's and one that may upset the purists-
    Over the past 5-6 years or so, those of us in flyover country have had access to Hatch chiles.  I routinely smoke them down and enjoy their flavour (nod).
    That's nice but what about Hatch ABT's-
    Below is a picture of my first go-
    Hot (at least so labeled) chilies, split, seeds removed.  Then filled with cream cheese, diced onions, roasted garlic and chopped spicy beef sticks. Topped a couple with OakRidge BBQ habanero death dust.   Had some bleed out (non life threatening) but quite tasty.  They are very filling. 
    I will do again while the chilies are still around.
    Very interesting, Cap'n!  I'm assuming you're starting with raw chilis?  I buy a bushel every couple years, but they're pre-roasted (one of the best smells on Earth) and I doubt mine could survive the ABT treatment.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• lousubcap
    @Botch- yep, raw as the goodness of large quantities roasted doesn't happen around here. 
  • paqman
    it looks delicious @lousubcap

One day I will get my hands on hatch chiles…

Awesome riff on ABT's @lousubcap!

If you dig the heat, leaving the seeds and veins in might amp it up a tad. As long as you don't mind the seeds.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Whoa right there.  What a way to kick-start the day.  Great looking sandwich and side of tots.  Nailed the meal.