Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    Sonuva... that's your camping grub ?!?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,973
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Pig trotters in resurrected IP. Gelatinous goodness.

Drooling! What else did you add to the pot? Any discernible difference in flavor, texture vs. the usual low 'n' slow method?
    TBH swmbo made it and I don't have a clue, she's mad I posted this gross dish, heard her mentioned tamarind, star anise, ketchup, garlic, sweet soy sauce, etc.  We don't have this often and can't recall the last time we did lo and slo. I'm thinking lo n slo was better, same with curry.
    Sounds good to me :) 

I agree... love the convenience of the IP, but things don't render quite the same way.
    Have you ever tried finishing a brisket in one, though?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,800
    edited July 2023
    Nice, @paqman. We were at Domaine Lausanne earlier this week. Took some neighbours camping, as they had never done it before. Got some really unfortunate weather, so I was actually just packing up some of the gear now after having left it to dry out. Hope you have a good site and good weather. Though maybe you’re in an RV, which assures you more consistency in experience despite the conditions. 
    (Edit: Also, I’ll mention that I was surprised by the fairly restrictive size of the sites at DL. Not that consistent with my previous experiences camping, but I guess that’s on keeping with the all-encompassing trend of getting less for your money than you used to.)
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743
    @GrateEggspectations family members have RV lots at “Camping de la Montagne d’Argent”.  No rain while we were there but it was a bit cold yesterday.  The grills were Weber Q grills and the burners were somewhat clogged, so not much BTUs.  I surprised my niece and nephews cooking the meat caveman style, they were impressed and it added to the coolness factor.  My brother had no confidence whatsoever and was arguing with me that the coals would stick to the meat 😂🤣

Caveman for the win right there.  Nice, very nice. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,129
    Warming stuff up on the offset smoker.

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    @bubbajack - that's some effort to "warm up stuff."  Given all the BGE's you have you could have cooked all that on a few of them but hopefully enjoyed the off-set. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 961
    Holy snapping Aholes
  • lousubcap
    Standing by for the finish @JohnInCarolina.  Looks great going in. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,493

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Pig trotters in resurrected IP. Gelatinous goodness.

Drooling! What else did you add to the pot? Any discernible difference in flavor, texture vs. the usual low 'n' slow method?
    TBH swmbo made it and I don't have a clue, she's mad I posted this gross dish, heard her mentioned tamarind, star anise, ketchup, garlic, sweet soy sauce, etc.  We don't have this often and can't recall the last time we did lo and slo. I'm thinking lo n slo was better, same with curry.
    Sounds good to me :) 

I agree... love the convenience of the IP, but things don't render quite the same way.
    Have you ever tried finishing a brisket in one, though?
    I see what you did there  ;)
    canuckland
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,129
    lousubcap said:
    @bubbajack - that's some effort to "warm up stuff."  Given all the BGE's you have you could have cooked all that on a few of them but hopefully enjoyed the off-set. 

Thanks Cap. Cooks like a dream! A split every 45 min or so, held at 250 for the afternoon. Gave me a chance to have a couple beverages and cook with some wood. Smoked with cherry, really like the flavor.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    @bubbajack - Glad you are enjoying the effort to roll smoke on a stick burner.  The flavour (nod) profile is definitely different especially on the big hunks of protein.
  • caliking
    lousubcap said:

goodeffinggrief...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    lousubcap said:

one of my favorite christmas things to make, especially the xmas party. been known to sneak raisins in them. dont think i could pull off that presentation though, nice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    @fishlessman - I would crush that.  Appreciate you using shrimp and not creating a lobster roll!
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    @fishlessman - I would crush that.  Appreciate you using shrimp and not creating a lobster roll!

10 dollars per pound verse 66 bucks for lobster meat, shrimp wins out everytime
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,973
    just keeping it simple

Very nice.  What is the sauce?  Looks like maybe sriracha-mayo?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    edited July 2023
    just keeping it simple

Very nice.  What is the sauce?  Looks like maybe sriracha-mayo?

sriracha, mayo/sour cream 50/50, lots of garlic powder. shrimp were marinaded in cayenne, cumin, creole with lots of garlic and oil, leaned to the spicy hot side. flour tortillas only because i dont like the corn, oh the blasphemy.....
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    should probably put this in the weight loss forum. doctor wants me to lose some weight, after talking with her about my diet she told me to eat more. 9 pounds in three weeks so far.....i can do this =)
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    just keeping it simple

Delicious.

• caliking
    @Canugghead - great looking plate, and a beautiful setting to enjoy it in :)