Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Smoked salmon salad 

So sorry about the forks in my pictures 
    Maybe I’m just feeling passive aggressive, but I feel like this apology could use dirtier, more prominent forks. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,806
    Options

Looks like a another winner to me. On a separate note, I’m glad to see the Detroit pizzas catching on. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    First time diving into this thread. A  lot of hidden grand slam, knock you off your feet cooks in here ...damn.   I am have been missing out!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    @SonVolt I did a rough version of the Pizza Hut breadsticks you shared the recipe.  I believe the topping goes on after.  Your notes you listed you couldn’t remember so I took a shot.  The topping blend tasted spot on, just browned up from the oven and could definitely tell in the taste.  Might actually try adding it with a few minutes to go as I think a little oven time helps it bloom.  Either way, thanks for sharing as they’ll be added to the menu when we do pizza.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,172
    Options
    Red snapper

One of my favorites, that looks just fabulous! 
    Mind telling me what your price per pound is?  For me, unless I want to drive 60+ miles to Omaha, there is only one market in the area that has fresh seafood.  When they have snapper available $20/lb. is typical.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,746
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I like the way you roll

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,429
    Options
    Burger night

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Rotisserie chickens w/carrots and shallots cooked under the drippings. Going to serve with a simple arugula salad. #dieting
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @JohnInCarolina Dang man. That probably deserves it’s own thread. 
    Ha!  You could say the same about that plate you just posted!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,477
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina
    Did you dry age or did SRF?  Either way, it looks fantastic.  Thickness (in mm please)?  I want to make sure it isn't a roast with a bone hanging out of it.  :smile:

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @JohnInCarolina
    Did you dry age or did SRF?  Either way, it looks fantastic.  Thickness (in mm please)?  I want to make sure it isn't a roast with a bone hanging out of it.  :smile:

SRF dry aged.  It’s a 42oz steak.  

40 mm.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    John, you did that one justice. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,477
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @JohnInCarolina

SRF dry aged.  It’s a 42oz steak.  

40 mm.
    1.9mm over 1.5"
    Nice!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,868
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina- I doubt that anyone could deliver any better right there.  That is a work of culinary art.  To say you nailed it, brought it home or otherwise hit the home-run would be selling that steak short.  Impressive cook. 
    So, how did you pull that off- envious minds would like to know...  (I'm betting Sue Vide was a player! B))

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina- I doubt that anyone could deliver any better right there.  That is a work of culinary art.  To say you nailed it, brought it home or otherwise hit the home-run would be selling that steak short.  Impressive cook. 
    So, how did you pull that off- envious minds would like to know...  (I'm betting Sue Vide was a player! B))

Thanks Frank, I think you are being far too kind but I’ll relay the process.  

This was a reverse sear of sorts.  I smoked it indirect with some post oak chunks, flipping it on occasion, until the IT hit 125.  Then I seared it right there on the grate with my propane torch, just to brown up the outside and add the tiniest bit of char.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,868
    Options
    Thanks for the above-glad Sue Vide was not involved.  I may need to get a propane torch as that is much less challenging that the caveman finish sear.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,661
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I forget what these are called. 

I bet corn on the cob is a fantastic pairing with birria tacos; won't be seeing that here for five more months.  

When people talk about traveling to the past, they worry about radically changing the present by doing something small, but barely anyone in the present really thinks that they can radically change the future by doing something small. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,661
    Options
    Butter-braised Shrimp on a bed of polenta (working title: Paula Deen shrimp-n-grits):

I stole this idea from Sam the Cooking Guy.  Pat of butter in a small pot, added garlic, pinch of black pepper, pinch of red pepper, & the white parts of a spring onion.  Once fragrant, add a whole stick of butter (!) and about 1/4" of water (I guess this keeps the butter from burning/separating).  Once melted and bubbling, add the shrimp.  

Served on a bed of polenta with more butter, black pepper and Parmesan cheese stirred in, with a side of creminis sauteed in (you guessed it) more butter.  Tasty.  And I think I can just set the pot out on the cold porch, remelt it tomorrow and make some more shrimp, so Its not quite so extravagant.  

When people talk about traveling to the past, they worry about radically changing the present by doing something small, but barely anyone in the present really thinks that they can radically change the future by doing something small.