Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,668
    Options

Just unwrapped and set on a rack to dry in the bottom of the beer fridge. Plan to cook on Christmas. Should I trim the exterior fat at some point? If so, when and how much?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Watching the social dilemma on Netflix. I feel like I need to force several friends and family members to watch it on their own
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Used to do these at egging in the mountains back when it started. Smores sandwiches. Raised direct with dome closed couple minutes a side 3 flips like a steak.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Watching the social dilemma on Netflix. I feel like I need to force several friends and family members to watch it on their own
    For those too lazy to do a basic internet search, what’s it about?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,354
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Social media and the impacts it has on society. Algorithms, AI, click bait , fake news, etc. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Social media and the impacts it has on society. Algorithms, AI, click bait , fake news, etc. 
    Thanks. Sounds interesting and worth the watch. Despite being a millennial - albeit an old one - this forum is the closest thing I have to social media. I’ve always had a healthy (or unhealthy?) disdain that kept me away. No doubt many positives, but seems like there are a lot of significant costs that we are only now beginning to understand. Perhaps one day I’ll succumb to the peer pressure, but for now, I quite enjoy the freedom of being untethered. Hard part will be helping the children navigate the landscape. 
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Got my son 30’ of track so we could launch cars to the basement. This is a blast and I’m likely having as much fun as he is.

Thats awesome. When I was a kid we would all pool our track, start them on the second story and run to the basement. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Neighbor (brisket camp lawyer) cut himself with a knife.  SWMBO utilized her nursing skills and over-kill first aid supplies to patch him up.  I offered to get the super-glue, but my suggestion was rebuffed.
    I legit got superglued in an ER not all that long ago. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Just unwrapped and set on a rack to dry in the bottom of the beer fridge. Plan to cook on Christmas. Should I trim the exterior fat at some point? If so, when and how much?
    @shtgunal3, I don't think many would trim that - although I might because we prefer lean meat - with tenderloin being our favorite.  I'm mostly replying because nobody answered your question and I didn't want it to get lost.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,368
    Options
    Some carne asada. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,431
    Options
    Just put out a fire.  Youngest foster daughter's hair.  All is well.  A mental image I will not soon forget.  5 year old torch running thru the living room.  We had just lit advent candles on living room coffee table.  The rest of the children were not calm.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,368
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Just put out a fire.  Youngest foster daughter's hair.  All is well.  A mental image I will not soon forget.  5 year old torch running thru the living room.  We had just lit advent candles on living room coffee table.  The rest of the children were not calm.  
    First, knowing everything is good, that is awesome. Second, any video footage?
    Las Vegas, NV

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Holy crap! That's terrifying for all involved. Sorry to hear. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    First, knowing everything is good, that is awesome. Second, any video footage?
    No video footage.  Airing out the house. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Holy crap! That's terrifying for all involved. Sorry to hear. 
    Never allowed to hit foster kids. I had to make an exception to put out the blaze. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Wow! Glad everyone is ok!  My youngest set the most popular girl in school on fire in kindergarten. Making s'mores and his marshmallow caught fire. He freaked and spun around and jammed it right in her long, curly blonde hair. It was a campout. It was awkward after that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,781
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Texas Hot Links... These are worth the effort to make y’all. @lkapigian

Looks delicious 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,668
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    shtgunal3 said:

@shtgunal3, I don't think many would trim that - although I might because we prefer lean meat - with tenderloin being our favorite.  I'm mostly replying because nobody answered your question and I didn't want it to get lost.
    Thanks @Foghorn

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    That'll be fun explaining to Child Services!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• kl8ton
    Options
    Kayak said:
    kl8ton said:
    That'll be fun explaining to Child Services!
    Well, we have a parade of social workers visiting today (unrelated to hair fire). The matter will be discussed.   Everything needs to be reported all the time.  Even if a foster child falls off bike and skins up knee, it must be documented.  CPS is very quick on the draw around here (most of the time a good thing).
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Sharing advice on how to not burn yourself in a wood oven. You learn quickly that sticking your arm in the hotbox in the house is not the same as sticking your arm in a 900+ degree wood oven. I’m a slow learner - meaning I learned the hard way. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Learned the hard way that welding gloves alone are not sufficient. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

No. Let it ride.....trim on your plate. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Just put out a fire.  Youngest foster daughter's hair.  All is well.  A mental image I will not lsoon forget.  5 year old torch running thru the living room.  We had just lit advent candles on living room coffee table.  The rest of the children were not calm.  
    You prolly needed that shot of adrenaline. JKOC....may the rest of your holiday season be on the flip side and find time to relax and enjoy family. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

No. Let it ride.....trim on your plate. 
    Fat is flavor. I know some will say that you miss out on crust, but if you want crust, grill a steak!  =)  Besides, that will give you more drippings in the pan for jus or to flavor veggies.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.