Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Botch said:
    Hate firing up the lawn mower at 0800, but I just finished and am drenched in sweat, ugh.  Frozen grapes and a mug of iced tea until I cool down, then a shower.  
    I hear you. 

I usually mow mid-morning; when most are awake. 

I do occasionally start as early as 8:00am (bylaw says 7:00am is the acceptable minimum), but my mower is electric (Ego) so makes little noise. 

I think your 8:00am start time is perfectly acceptable regardless of the other parameters. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,109
    Botch said:
    Hate firing up the lawn mower at 0800, but I just finished and am drenched in sweat, ugh.  Frozen grapes and a mug of iced tea until I cool down, then a shower.  
    You sir, are in Mormon country.  Everyone is up at 5am.  Just fire that bad boy up and get to work.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Soaking in the last bit of 70* weather before heading back to the armpit of Hell tomorrow. 
    Bottle some of the cool and bring it back with you.  Haven’t seen 70* in I don’t know how long.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,315
    So what you are saying is:

privatization + monopoly = bad?

I will never understand the privatization of public infrastructure.
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Public Power, it's not just a good idea, it's the law.  In Nebraska.  And it works very well.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130

Got 7 in the trap. About to head over and take care of bidness. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172

Dang, they are back!   Get ‘em
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker

7 down. Good start. These were all very young. Need to find mama sow to slow this train down. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,751
    Rule of 10….youve got 10x that amount on property. Sucks. They reproduce like rabbits and are extremely destructive 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,600
    On the other hand massive barbecue supplies.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    We got hams and shoulders off all of these. A few backstraps and tenderloins too. They were pretty small but those are usually better when it comes to feral hog meat. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,453
    Glad you are back on land and cruising the Gulf Coast in search of copious quantities of oysters.
    Been pretty quiet around here the last few days  =).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,004
    We got hams and shoulders off all of these. A few backstraps and tenderloins too. They were pretty small but those are usually better when it comes to feral hog meat. 
    After reading feral hog meat, I know that feral hog parking lot meat has to happen.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 18
    SGH said:
    No matter what they try and tell you they simply don’t make them like they use to. Over half a million miles and still rolling. 
    1996 Ford F250 7.3 Power Stroke. 

And you get better fuel mileage than the new stuff.  I spray 30% of my diesel into a big can to burn off particulate instead of helping me move forward.

I hate all the DPF and emissions garbage they force on new trucks.  When driving through the city air coming out of my tailpipe is cleaner than what goes into the engine!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,182
    had this dropped off the other day, extremely flat stone with a leather strop attached to the wooden cover. thinking either an old razor stone or maybe for sharpening blades in a wood plane. @sgh any ideas

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,936
    lousubcap said:
    Glad you are back on land and cruising the Gulf Coast in search of copious quantities of oysters.
    Been pretty quiet around here the last few days  =).
    Not sure if I fully agree with your last sentence,
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1233371/insane-peace-love-unity-kill-em-if-they-disagree/p6#latest
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Legume said:
    After reading feral hog meat, I know that feral hog parking lot meat has to happen.
    No question. Although last night was the shadiest meat deal I have done to date. Literally farm to fork haha. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @sgh any ideas

Brother fish without any numbers or markings it would be almost impossible to say for sure who the manufacturer was. 
    However it definitely has the look of a vintage Behr-Manning. The fact a strop is included also pushes to Behr-Manning. If you can locate any numbers or markings post them and we may can narrow it down farther. 
    I have what I know to be a fact a Behr-Manning razor stone that is exactly like yours with the one exception being mine is about half that length. But other than that they are a spot on match.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Thankful Vanilla is so stable it avoided the cataclysm befalling banks and airlines today.

Also wondering if @RRP ‘s resurrection having something to do with the world wide technology failure occurring today?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,004
    Thankful Vanilla is so stable it avoided the cataclysm befalling banks and airlines today.

Also wondering if @RRP ‘s resurrection having something to do with the world wide technology failure occurring today?
    The cryo thawed?
    Not a felon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,453
    @WeberWho - what was your cook temp? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,206
    lousubcap said:
    @WeberWho - what was your cook temp? 

250-260. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker

4 more down. I had no idea they were even in there. My camera did not alert and I checked it before I went to bed and it was all quiet. Went to go check the deer feeders this morning and stopped in my tracks when I saw these guys. Much larger than the 7 we got the other night. I had 6 in here but 2 little ones scaled the walls and squeezed out the top. These guys were properly pissed off. Glad there was a cage between that bigger one and me. 

Also, a very lucky doe. She was in there at 11:29pm and didn’t trip it. The pigs were caught 15 minutes later. A deer will normally best themselves to death trying to get out if they get caught in a trap like this. They normally stay away but I guess the lure of free corn was just too strong for this one haha. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,751

4 more down. I had no idea they were even in there. My camera did not alert and I checked it before I went to bed and it was all quiet. Went to go check the deer feeders this morning and stopped in my tracks when I saw these guys. Much larger than the 7 we got the other night. I had 6 in here but 2 little ones scaled the walls and squeezed out the top. These guys were properly pissed off. Glad there was a cage between that bigger one and me. 

Also, a very lucky doe. She was in there at 11:29pm and didn’t trip it. The pigs were caught 15 minutes later. A deer will normally best themselves to death trying to get out if they get caught in a trap like this. They normally stay away but I guess the lure of free corn was just too strong for this one haha. 

So we have a pen vs a trap like yours. 30’ across, feeder in the middle. Open top. Trip wire. Drop door. Sometimes you catch 1, sometimes 20. Deer can jump out. We’ve made it to where the hogs can’t stack and climb out
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited July 20
    ColbyLang said:

So we have a pen vs a trap like yours. 30’ across, feeder in the middle. Open top. Trip wire. Drop door. Sometimes you catch 1, sometimes 20. Deer can jump out. We’ve made it to where the hogs can’t stack and climb out
    I have been looking at a few setups like that but we really
    don’t have pigs all the time. We have good fences and the times they have gotten in, they would just raid us and leave to go back to my neighbors. These are the only pigs that have taken up residence here and we have put a big dent in that population this week. The most I have seen on my cameras were in the low 20’s. I found their hole and blocked them in. I check my fences every week and I don’t see anywhere else they can get in. If that’s true then I’ll be able to manage these with this trap and picking a few off with a thermal at night. If not, I’m definitely getting a pen style trap. If I do that, I’m going to feed them out on corn for 30 days before taking them
    out. I would love to have a reliable source of free range pork. 

I like this setup as it allows more pigs to keep coming in. They can root under the net, but they can’t get back out. Deer tend to stay away as well since they would have to root under the net to get in. And you don’t have to stay up all night to try to catch them when they are there. They can keep coming in all night long so you can catch the whole sounder with no escapees or shutouts once the trap door springs. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,600
    By the Darwin Principle, are we just breeding smarter and smarter swine?