Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,412
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Man down! I’d say it was a little windy during that storm. 

It appears to have survived. 

ADA non-compliant deck!

Glad your red headed stepchild survived!
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,864
    Options
    That storm rolled south and a bit east.  No devastation here but around 2.7 miles (straight line) up the road a tornado touched down and did the standard tornado damage-fortunately no serious injuries or death. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,658
    Options
    My daughter made the news tonight.  There was an attempted school shooter who police caught.  She was on the news leaving the school.

I love her sense of humor, she sent this to her mom during the lockdown:

This should make me smile.  But it doesn't.   :s  

When people talk about traveling to the past, they worry about radically changing the present by doing something small, but barely anyone in the present really thinks that they can radically change the future by doing something small. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    My daughter made the news tonight.  There was an attempted school shooter who police caught.  She was on the news leaving the school.

News is slowly trickling out, and it is a fluid situation.  There were approximately 1,000,000 police officers at the school quickly, including a helicopter.  We have gone from there was no threat, to there was a gun, to it was a fight between kids, to a kid with a gun was apprehended to the latest (as of a few minutes ago): no gun was found.

My daughter said she wasn't worried, because they have had drills before. Then the teacher received a call and she said her face visibly blanched and she looked like she was going to be sick.  That was when my daughter became concerned.  Ultimately everyone was physically safe, but it definitely has had an impact on a lot of kids.  This is the first real lockdown they have had due to an incident on campus.

We had to sit down and have a real discussion about what to do in these situations.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,817
    Options
    That is **** @Ozzie_Isaac
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Listening to a talk about how VOCs in exhaled air can be used to make an early diagnosis of pneumonia in patients on a ventilator. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Listening to a talk about how VOCs in exhaled air can be used to make an early diagnosis of pneumonia in patients on a ventilator. 
    When I caught the VOC's term I figured I was in for a VOC and BGE fire management article-totally missed the mark.  However, reads like VOC's can be good in some areas.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,704
    edited April 4
    Options
    This is sort of a life hack.  My problem was, I always wanted hot water outside, mainly because when cleaning honey extracting and processing equipment hot water is essential. 
      So at my old house with a crawl space I plumbed a second outdoor spigot and tied it to a hot water line. Two things I quickly realized are this is going to be great with a pressure washer and I needed a way to blend in cold water. So I made a pig tail with washing machine lines and a Y and we were off!

Fast forward to our new house with a basement, same situation, I have a sweet little electric pressure washer and I wanted hot water outside but dreaded drilling a hole in the wall, yada yada.  That is when I realized it would be so easy!

I simply tied the nearest hot water line to the outside spigot supply line, a couple of ball valves and viola! Open the hot water valve all the way and close the cold almost all the way and I have a hot water pressure washer!
    Right up my alley there. Out of curiosity and hypothetically speaking... if one or both of these pipes are close to a shower will it be fun for someone using the shower while you're power washing intermittently?

Edit: How do I know? :blush: At the same spot where your two pipes meet, I installed a pump with a check valve to pump water from hot into cold. The pump is wifi smart switch controlled, its purpose is to activate the tankless heater to prime the hot water circuit without any water going down the drain. Originally I had this pos swing gate check valve that was stuck open for who knows how long! It has since been replaced by a more reliable/robust (touch wood) spring check valve.
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    This is sort of a life hack.  My problem was, I always wanted hot water outside, mainly because when cleaning honey extracting and processing equipment hot water is essential. 
      So at my old house with a crawl space I plumbed a second outdoor spigot and tied it to a hot water line. Two things I quickly realized are this is going to be great with a pressure washer and I needed a way to blend in cold water. So I made a pig tail with washing machine lines and a Y and we were off!

Fast forward to our new house with a basement, same situation, I have a sweet little electric pressure washer and I wanted hot water outside but dreaded drilling a hole in the wall, yada yada.  That is when I realized it would be so easy!

I simply tied the nearest hot water line to the outside spigot supply line, a couple of ball valves and viola! Open the hot water valve all the way and close the cold almost all the way and I have a hot water pressure washer!
    Right up my alley there. Out of curiosity and hypothetically speaking... if one or both of these pipes are close to a shower will it be fun for someone using the shower while you're power washing intermittently?

Edit: How do I know? :blush: At the same spot where your two pipes meet, I installed a pump with a check valve to pump water from hot into cold. The pump is wifi smart switch controlled, its purpose is to activate the tankless heater to prime the hot water circuit without any water going down the drain. Originally I had this pos swing gate check valve that was stuck open for who knows how long! It has since been replaced by a more reliable/robust (touch wood) spring check valve.

Ive been waiting for you to comment all day! I knew this was in your wheel house lol.  We have a regular tank water heater, I tied the hot water line that runs to the pantry sink so I think we are okay there. However before I cut the water lines yesterday I flipped the breaker to the well pump and the one to the hot water heater, fast forward to 6:00 AM this morning, SWMBO "we don't have any hot water" ahhh ****! I turned the well pump breaker on but forgot the water heater.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    edited April 4
    Options
    Botch said:

News is slowly trickling out, and it is a fluid situation.  There were approximately 1,000,000 police officers at the school quickly, including a helicopter.  We have gone from there was no threat, to there was a gun, to it was a fight between kids, to a kid with a gun was apprehended to the latest (as of a few minutes ago): no gun was found.

My daughter said she wasn't worried, because they have had drills before. Then the teacher received a call and she said her face visibly blanched and she looked like she was going to be sick.  That was when my daughter became concerned.  Ultimately everyone was physically safe, but it definitely has had an impact on a lot of kids.  This is the first real lockdown they have had due to an incident on campus.

We had to sit down and have a real discussion about what to do in these situations.
    A million police officers don’t mean a damn thing if none of them have the balls to go into the school. 

That shooting in Texas still pisses me off royally. 

What pisses me off even more is that they wouldn't let anyone else in.  If you are too scared, get the **** out of my way.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,354
    Options
    @alaskanassasin. The worst part of all of it is that the officers were cleared of any wrongdoing through an “independent” investigation. It’s basically cops covering each other’s asses to the detriment of the public and to avoid lawsuits for their conduct. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,704
    edited April 4
    Options

Ive been waiting for you to comment all day! I knew this was in your wheel house lol.  We have a regular tank water heater, I tied the hot water line that runs to the pantry sink so I think we are okay there. However before I cut the water lines yesterday I flipped the breaker to the well pump and the one to the hot water heater, fast forward to 6:00 AM this morning, SWMBO "we don't have any hot water" ahhh ****! I turned the well pump breaker on but forgot the water heater.
    Been there done that many times. One advantage of tankless is you're back in business right after turning the power back on, on the flip side it's not fun if the power goes while the shower is in use unless the heater has a UPS hookup (ours doesn't).  

Edit: 
    "Open the hot water valve all the way and close the cold almost all the way"
    Perhaps it's just old wives' tale, I thought ball valves should be fully closed or fully open, prolonged partial opening may compromise the valve's longevity? OTOH you should be fine since power washer is not something that's used often. This is another scenario where the tankless shines...just shut the cold 100% and turn the heater thermostat down (mine goes as low as 100F).
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @ColtsFan is that you on the Indiana St. coaching staff? 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 391
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac, I'm just glad that nobody was hurt. And your daughter's comment did make me chuckle... she must be an unusually sensible person.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • lousubcap
    Options

@Buckwoody Egger I've got my last shipment of this season arriving one week from today.  I look for any shipping deals as the overnight to flyover country is a tall hill to climb.  But da-n they are great!  Seasonally imposed restraint til this Fall. 
    Better to be lucky than good right there!
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
     I had never heard that but it makes sense @Canugghead. With the valve partially open the rubber seal is more exposed which could compromise it. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 730
    Options
    If you look into hydraulic ball valves you can see some of the problems it can cause. Doubt you'll see it with water any time soon and even if you do you'll probably notice some changes before it fails. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 5
    Options
    Botch said:

A million police officers don’t mean a damn thing if none of them have the balls to go into the school. 

That shooting in Texas still pisses me off royally. 
    Agree.  Same situation only not as many dead in Florida too.  I want them charging in and not waiting around.

Our county Sheriffs and local PD are not going to wait around for some yahoo to make a call.  They were in immediately sweeping the school.  There weren’t cops in the parking lot, just a lot of empty police cars.  They police were in the school.

Our county sheriffs have a full Swat unit and a full bomb squad.  They don’t need to wait for outsiders to show up.  A good friend of mine was the Swat commander and then the bomb squad commander.  His guys were heavily trained and professional.  Some of his videos were wild.  

I guess it is actually sad that it is a point of pride for our community.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,902
    Options

ooh Jurgy, you minx - you saw your chance and took it didn’t you ya?  Liverpool could be the wet sail guys after all!   Not many games left now and  while City and Arsenal played out a ‘game for the aficionados’ 0-0 last weekend, the big man stole ahead by two big points.  

There’s fire at the foot of the table too as especially the third relegation spot is not nailed down, with many games between trap door hover-ers to come. 

Here we go then;

Saturday

Palace v Man City, 0-3. Just get it over with like pulling off a Band Aid.  

Villa v Brentford, the Villains got humped by City midweek but so what?  They’ll be fine here and haul in the three points with a routine 2-0. 

Everton v Burnley, proper pickle club Everton are in financial disarray and terrible form.  A late penalty mid-week gave them a rare point, but was it like throwing a dog a rubber bone? Points deduction looms and if the Clarets take anything from this game then the sky could fall in.  1-1

Fulham v Newcastle, the Toon need points to edge in to those all important Euro spots. The Cottagers might as well be on the beach already.  1-2

Luton v Bournemouth, not great timing for the potentially stranded Hatters as the Cherries are a team bang in form and not only safe but looking for a high mid table finish.  An away win is probable but a home win keeps the relegation battle alive.  1-2

Wolves v West Ham, tricky to call as the clubs are separated by just three points and are in inconsistent form. The Hammers are clinging to a Euro spot but that is vulnerable to at least four teams below them - including Wolves. 1-1

Brighton v Arsenal, the lustre is fading from the filthy Seagulls and it seems the messianic managers got a bit of grump on too.  He was a hired for being feisty and thats great whilst it’s great, but we’ve all seen the Crazy Hot video, right?  0-2 and the Gunners stay right in the title race.

Sunday

Man Utd v Liverpool,  too soon to have one hand on the trophy by the Reds are the team absolute in the box seat.  Man Utd are just so inconsistent that their 6th place defies all logic.  Despite the passion this ties brings I just can’t see anything but an away win. 0-2

Sheff Utd v Chelsea, the Blues are coming up fast on the rails with 5 unbeaten and a big statement win against Utd from behind at 90 minutes. An almost inevitable win here puts them in the Euro mixer with eight games to play. Who saw that? 0-2

Spurs v Forest, oh Spurs, what are you like? All three results, as ever, on the table here.  Forest have fought back against the points deduction and are inching forwards, not safe but 3 points clear of the drop.  Should be a home win judging by the table, but this is Spurs. 2-2

So, intrigue at both ends sustains. Strap in - to could be a lively one.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Lousy day here, but no trip to Paris is complete without at least one picture of the wrought iron lattice tower.

A lousy day in Paris? Find a baguette and some cheese. Drink some grape juice 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Lousy day here, but no trip to Paris is complete without at least one picture of the wrought iron lattice tower.

And make sure your beret is on properly.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,354
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    ColbyLang said:

And make sure your beret is on properly.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,291
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

When the bartender last night was quite slow with my beer, I may have mentioned “cheese eating surrender monkeys”.  He was not amused. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike