Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    kl8ton said:

Pulled pork was on sale at the local grocery store.
    I guess pork shoulder was on sale. I turned it into pulled pork. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    kl8ton said:
    kl8ton said:

Pulled pork was on sale at the local grocery store.
    I guess pork shoulder was on sale. I turned it into pulled pork. 
    I was super impressed that your grocery store made such an amazing pork shoulder.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    It's not "right now" but yesterday SWMBO and I were able to be judges of the 4th round (of 5) of brisket at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo BBQ Cookoff.

It was an interesting process.  By the time you get to the 4th round of judging there are only really good briskets left.  With that said, it had been 1hr 45 minutes since the turn in time so it was all cold. Because of this, many of them tasted like pot roast.  Ultimately what made the difference was injection/broth/rub/glaze.  I tried to focus more on the quality of the meat but they were nearly all very solid (I took points away from 2 of them - one tasted very bland and one was way overcooked and as a result was sliced very thick).  

We had eaten considerable BBQ before we found out we could be tasters.  then we tasted 14 briskets.  We both had some meat sweats at about 2 AM...

At this point I'll say that I'm glad I did it, but I don't feel a need to do it again.  I think SWMBO feels differently so we may indeed do it again sometime.  We've judged chicken before in the 1st round - while it is still warm.  The downside of the 1st round is that you will taste some that aren't so good, but I actually enjoyed that more than eating cold meat on 14 plates.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    MasterC said:
    Bought our Element new January 2006. This is daily driver and has been very low maintenance. 

Great vehicle and versatile 
    Thought about buying our S-I-L's 2004(IIRC) Element but didn't want to get rid of our 2000 Honda Odyssey, which is still running with almost zero maintenance since day one btw.
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Pretty sure I cheated on my wife in her dreams. She woke up super annoyed that I went to the living room to read and drink my coffee early this morning. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,151
    More ultimate

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    Pretty sure I cheated on my wife in her dreams. She woke up super annoyed that I went to the living room to read and drink my coffee early this morning. 
    Funny how that works. Stay in bed and read with coffee….get yelled at if you make too much noise. Be considerate and go in the den, you get what you walked in to. It’s a lose lose
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    ColbyLang said:
    Funny how that works. Stay in bed and read with coffee….get yelled at if you make too much noise. Be considerate and go in the den, you get what you walked in to. It’s a lose lose
    Awe yes, the morning dilemma.  Worst thing you can do is walk away after they get annoyed.

• Flushing my water heater. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • Changed my furnace filter too
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
    edited January 28
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
    Today is the 38th anniversary of the Challenger explosion. Definitely one of those “remember where you were” moments in history. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Today is the 38th anniversary of the Challenger explosion. Definitely one of those “remember where you were” moments in history. 
    Growing up in NH, the launch was of particular focus because Christa McAuliffe was a teacher in Concord.  

I was in junior high.  What I recall is that they had it on a TV in the library, for anyone who wanted to watch to come and see it.  That was a very sad day indeed.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Here's to the Ravens beating taytay. (Sorry @DFW)
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    kl8ton said:
    Here's to the Ravens beating taytay. (Sorry @DFW)
    Remains to be seen.  They’d better stop watching her and pay attention to Kelce!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,598
    edited January 28
    Chiefs had the game plan and effectively kept the Ravens on their heels all game.  Kelce had a monster game and will enjoy a monster night!  Better to be lucky than good right there! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    Growing up in NH, the launch was of particular focus because Christa McAuliffe was a teacher in Concord.  

I was in junior high.  What I recall is that they had it on a TV in the library, for anyone who wanted to watch to come and see it.  That was a very sad day indeed.
    My cousin was in her class before she left to train.
    Not a felon
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Who you calling pickle balls? You been peaking in my outhouse again?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I was looking forward to a Lions vs. Chiefs Super Bowl.  Especially after first half of lions game yesterday.  Then I woke up to Facebook memes about KC va. 49ers.  What the heck happened?

• Foghorn said:
    It's not "right now" but yesterday SWMBO and I were able to be judges of the 4th round (of 5) of brisket at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo BBQ Cookoff.

It was an interesting process.  By the time you get to the 4th round of judging there are only really good briskets left.  With that said, it had been 1hr 45 minutes since the turn in time so it was all cold. Because of this, many of them tasted like pot roast.  Ultimately what made the difference was injection/broth/rub/glaze.  I tried to focus more on the quality of the meat but they were nearly all very solid (I took points away from 2 of them - one tasted very bland and one was way overcooked and as a result was sliced very thick).  

We had eaten considerable BBQ before we found out we could be tasters.  then we tasted 14 briskets.  We both had some meat sweats at about 2 AM...

At this point I'll say that I'm glad I did it, but I don't feel a need to do it again.  I think SWMBO feels differently so we may indeed do it again sometime.  We've judged chicken before in the 1st round - while it is still warm.  The downside of the 1st round is that you will taste some that aren't so good, but I actually enjoyed that more than eating cold meat on 14 plates.
    Our local meat market provided the brisket that won first place.  Their steaks and such are really really good.  Midland Meat Company.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,058
    I was looking forward to a Lions vs. Chiefs Super Bowl.  Especially after first half of lions game yesterday.  Then I woke up to Facebook memes about KC va. 49ers.  What the heck happened?
    Helluva comeback.  I was hoping for the same, and though I'm a fan of the Chiefs was hoping to see the Lions take it all.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    HeavyG said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Never mind Gaza, Yemen and New Hampshire - this is the only bit of news from America we are taking about 

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/jan/24/perfect-cup-of-tea-needs-a-pinch-of-salt-and-squeeze-of-lemon-says-us-chemist

This is a few days old but I didn't see it until today...

LOL

Some funny comments in the Twitter thread - https://x.com/USAinUK/status/1750136728034169147?s=20

and yet no one complained when we put salt it **** warm skunky beer.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    Foghorn said:

Our local meat market provided the brisket that won first place.  Their steaks and such are really really good.  Midland Meat Company.
    Thanks @Hook_emHornsfan_74

Having a great meat source is definitely important.  I'm curious if it was wagyu, as most of the competitors I know won't use wagyu in competition because they think they can get the texture they want from a good prime brisket and they think they get a more "beefy" flavor (as opposed to "buttery" texture) with the prime meat.

The teams I hang out with didn't get anything in the big 3 events (chicken, ribs, brisket) on Saturday (i.e. not in the top 20 of 300+ teams) - but they did well on Friday in dessert, margarita, and "you pick it - meat".

I've been to this event multiple times but just learned that with over 300 teams it is the 2nd largest competition in the country - behind only the American Royal in KC (500+ teams).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,598
    edited January 29
    I am now publicly (albeit a very small audience) ranting about the devious nature of the web browser Firefox.  I have the browser settings locked down fairly tight.  A few minutes ago I needed to view a pop-up.  I selected Firebox drop-down, found Preferences, scrolled to privacy and security, made the change and read the pop-up.  So far, so good.
    I now go back to the Firefox drop-down and no Preferences.  Google the solution, type in the phrase find what I need to get to privacy and security to block the pop-ups and all is well.  But why the head fake?
    Rant over-
    Edit-I also have a lawn...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    A 15 year old boy at my daughter's school was killed this past weekend while trying to run across across the freeway.  He was peer pressured by some older (18 & 17 year old) kids to run across.  It was for a Tik-Tok and it was on video.  News is reporting it was so they could go to store on the other side of the freeway.  Wish they would report the truth and hold those older kids responsible.

Not sure why, but this just crushes me.  Having kids that age and knowing all about peer pressure and **** kids getting younger kids to do stupid tricks for their amusement is just devastating.  A 15 second decision out of 473,000,000 seconds.

• The “like” was for support alone. What an awful story. I often try to tell my kids that they should be intrinsically motivated, and not rely upon accolades from others. Hope that those lessons stick, but if not, I hope they don’t seek their peers’ approval with this kind of stunt. Tragic - not only for the child’s friends and family, but for the driver and any passengers, as well as for first responders. 

I also often tell my kids that life is all about making the mistakes, but that the art is to make them as least impactful as possible. 
  • Very sorry to read that Ozzie. That is devastating. Hopefully the investigators will get to the bottom of it and hold the others accountable. If it’s on video hopefully there is context that supports the peer pressure. Damn sad regardless. 
    Snellville, GA