Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,058

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,058
    Dang. Four policemen shot a fugitive after a chase here in Riverdale, at a Sinclair station. If the news crew had filmed from about 30 feet over, my house on the bench edge would've been in the video. 
    That's getting a little too close for comfort.   :s   

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,151
    Just arrived in Atlanta.  Now to get my bags and make it through customs…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    Botch said:
    Dang. Four policemen shot a fugitive after a chase here in Riverdale, at a Sinclair station. If the news crew had filmed from about 30 feet over, my house on the bench edge would've been in the video. 
    Yikes!  Stay safe out there.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,636
    Botch said:
    Looked for any holes in your walls?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    Botch said:
    Yikes!  Stay safe out there in the basement.
    FTFY
    canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    24 hours into throwing the south into the freezer. We never made it above 32°F but it was an absolutely beautiful day. Fireplace has been rolling all day (I’ll now need more wood) and the kids have been having fun doing nothing. They’ll get another 24 hour reprieve from school cus we can’t drive in the cold apparently. Vegetable beef soup on the stove
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,506
    We warmed up to 7* today. Heat wave
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Canugghead
    To prevent our overstuffed freezer from opening accidentally (it happens, trust me) we strap the door handle to a pipe nearby with a bungee cord. Today swmbo was not a happy camper when the cord fought back!

Feeling guilty I found some velcro and a piece of scrap canvas in her sewing box, then put the sewing machine and cobbler's awl to work. It's not pretty but functional, and peace is restored :)

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 17
    To prevent our overstuffed freezer from opening accidentally (it happens, trust me) we strap the door handle to a pipe nearby with a bungee cord. Today swmbo was not a happy camper when the cord fought back!

Feeling guilty I found some velcro and a piece of scrap canvas in her sewing box, then put the sewing machine and cobbler's awl to work. It's not pretty but functional, and peace is restored :)

We use baby safety latches for fridges.  They work really well, about $6 per 2 pack.

• Canugghead

We use baby safety latches for fridges.  They work really well, about $6 per 2 pack.

Too old to remember baby stuff, lol  :)
    canuckland
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
     Quick life question advise from a bunch of people I’ve never met from the internet: take worse days off with better people to work for/with or better days off (minimally better) with less desirable people to work for/with?
    Las Vegas, NV

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
     Quick life question advise from a bunch of people I’ve never met from the internet: take worse days off with better people to work for/with or better days off (minimally better) with less desirable people to work for/with?
    Always surround yourself with good people. 
  • Canugghead
    Holy crap, happened two nights ago 25 miles from my house! Check out the BBQ that they couldn't care less, lol

https://youtu.be/lINkkHpPhpI?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    How many days and how bad are the people?

My time off is worth a fortune.  I can deal with jerks at work, it’s business.  If work is so bad that it makes your time off also miserable, then work needs a change.

If we are talking and extra few days off, then choose better people to work with.  If we are talking 2 weeks, then deal with the ****.  They will eventually change or move on.  Nobody at work is permanent.

• Battleborn
    How many days and how bad are the people?

My time off is worth a fortune.  I can deal with jerks at work, it’s business.  If work is so bad that it makes your time off also miserable, then work needs a change.

If we are talking and extra few days off, then choose better people to work with.  If we are talking 2 weeks, then deal with the ****.  They will eventually change or move on.  Nobody at work is permanent.
    My current days off are Friday, Saturday, Sunday. I work for a boss that I really like and love the people I work with. The potential move would be Sunday, Monday, Tuesday off with most of the same people I work with currently and the same boss. 

On the other hand, I could work Saturday, Sunday, Monday off with a boss I like, but is a bit micromanagey. The people I would work with are ok, but not the caliber of the relationships that I have with the people I work with now. 

I’m leaning to the worse day and better people with support from SWMBO. It’s tough because it’s so close. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Gulfcoastguy
    I'm assuming that the money is the same. Is micro managing the other boss's only problem? Believe me a bad boss can ruin things especially when you are trying to stay in a government job for the pension. Former state employee here. If you like your current boss and none of the other employees are Richards  I would take that shift. The last option that you mention seems a bit risky, a micromanager with Richards that you might have to carry and being a public agency ones that he would probably have a hard time getting rid of. I once turned down supervision of a team because I knew to turn them around I would have to fire a third of them and I wouldn't be allowed to do so. That would mean that I would have to be a micromanager from hell to get any improvement. That is probably why that boss micromanages.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    Overall I agree with @DoubleEgger, but a couple of other dimensions to consider
    • are your ‘customers’ worse during the weekend vs weekdays?
    • what do you like to do on your days off ?  are those things easier, less crowded, cheaper, more enjoyable etc. on some days vs others?  around here, if you have days off during the week, you can ski and hike and fish without the crowds and that’s invaluable
    Not a felon
  • Battleborn
    Here is my problem, I work with all parties involved already 3 out of 4 days a week. If I had to quantify, the bosses are comparable but my current boss has the edge by 20%. The people I work with have a 70% edge. 

The area I work, the “clients” are about even throughout each day of the week. 

Right now it comes down to people over days, but it is close. Kinda torn over it. Seniority also plays a factor. If I go to the better days, I’m bottom b!tch. If I go to the less desirable days. I’m near the top. 

Hard to choose. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 17
    Here is my problem, I work with all parties involved already 3 out of 4 days a week. If I had to quantify, the bosses are comparable but my current boss has the edge by 20%. The people I work with have a 70% edge. 

The area I work, the “clients” are about even throughout each day of the week. 

Right now it comes down to people over days, but it is close. Kinda torn over it. Seniority also plays a factor. If I go to the better days, I’m bottom b!tch. If I go to the less desirable days. I’m near the top. 

Hard to choose. 
    Sounds like either one is good with some bad thrown in.

Personally, if I had kids in school I would pick weekends off.  If my kids were younger or homeschooled, I would pick better job.

Having a business now that doesn’t align with my kids schedule is a bummer.  Thankfully in my situation they are much older and I don’t have to miss weekend sports or activities with them.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    @Battleborn Your post reminds me of @DuckDogDr. I wonder what he is up to. 
     I can’t imagine the politics involved working at a police station, that said, I would take the shift that gets me to being a boss sooner.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    Quarantining at a hotel, in Durham.  Got word on the way back that several of my colleagues I was traveling with last week had just tested positive for covid.  I've tested negative as of this morning but I do have some minor symptoms and it seems unlikely that I would have just happened to have caught a regular cold.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    i would take the sunday monday tues off. people dont fish those days as much on the lake, no ones in my spots and in my way ;) less bad people on my days off makes more sense to me. im usually off the water on saturdays by 10 am to avoid the crowds of weekend warriors
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Quarantining at a hotel, in Durham.  Got word on the way back that several of my colleagues I was traveling with last week had just tested positive for covid.  I've tested negative as of this morning but I do have some minor symptoms and it seems unlikely that I would have just happened to have caught a regular cold.  
    Thankfully you made it back to NC.  Hopefully your symptoms remain mild and nobody is negatively impacted beyond the isolation and cold like symptoms.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,598
    Flying can lead to the cold-like symptoms on any trip.  The negative test is a good sign.  Good luck with beating this end of trip audible. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233

testing negative with covid seems to be happening more nowadays, best playing it safe. could just be lack of good beer.......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Just coming off a winter cold myself. Pretty much inevitable unless I barricade myself inside with a stockpile of food until April. No noticeable fever so I doubt it was Covid.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
    That sucks @JohnInCarolina. I bet Otto is missing you badly. 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 420
    Test again in a day -- and good luck!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited January 17
    Just coming off a winter cold myself. Pretty much inevitable unless I barricade myself inside with a stockpile of food until April. No noticeable fever so I doubt it was Covid.
    Of the three of us with (possibly) covid, only one had a fever.  

Pre-covid, with the symptoms I currently have, I would have still gone into work and just told people to keep their distance because I had a head cold.  I hope we get back to that someday.  At the moment I think it can still be pretty lethal for some folks.