Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,978
    @GrateEggspectations haha, add garage door opener and bread maker to the list  :) Learned something new, it's a thermal cutoff fuse rated at 157C, essentially a built in thermostat. Sold in packs of ten on amazoid. Too cheap a## to buy a new one.
    Edit: got to love amazoid, arriving tomorrow.

i hate those things, put an automatic torch PIE a manual plasma cutter lately and they put one inside each power pack coil, hidden and not removable. limits me to 6 minutes every 10.
    Reminds me of a pre-Anova project... picked up a vintage party size coffee urn and wanted to hook it up to my redneck PID controller setup that works like an Inkbird. Didn't pan out because it would stop heating once coffee-is-ready temp is reached. Wondering if it has one of these fuses hidden somewhere?
    canuckland
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,066
    That’s our plane on its way to pick us up, Norma is closer than I thought 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    He better hurry, y’all may get grounded 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    @GrateEggspectations haha, add garage door opener and bread maker to the list  :) Learned something new, it's a thermal cutoff fuse rated at 157C, essentially a built in thermostat. Sold in packs of ten on amazoid. Too cheap a## to buy a new one.
    Edit: got to love amazoid, arriving tomorrow.

i hate those things, put an automatic torch PIE a manual plasma cutter lately and they put one inside each power pack coil, hidden and not removable. limits me to 6 minutes every 10.
    Reminds me of a pre-Anova project... picked up a vintage party size coffee urn and wanted to hook it up to my redneck PID controller setup that works like an Inkbird. Didn't pan out because it would stop heating once coffee-is-ready temp is reached. Wondering if it has one of these fuses hidden somewhere?

its some time of thermal cutoff for heat inside the coil pack, limits the duty cycle to 60 percent. they could have put a bigger fan and a heat sink in there but no....the newer ones dont do this but im not sure how long the currant job will last. just need to get thru this one and see
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    lkapigian said:
    That’s our plane on its way to pick us up, Norma is closer than I thought 

Oh man, stay safe!  Hope you get outta dodge quick.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,604
    Mother nature is a b-tch but if you've gotta scramble...That is the way to travel.  
    Better to be lucky than good.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,898
    edited October 2023
    @lousubcap how is the new location? Food seem to be on par? Curious how business is holding up. I heard they suffered some setbacks from the support community due to how they dispersed(or not) tips. Sounds like they changed their rules after some backlash but I know sometimes it can take time to win back the crowd. 

Snellville, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    edited October 2023
    lousubcap said:
    Earlier this AM.  Enjoying the RDH at Valentina's new operation in Buda.  Always a true breakfast banquet.

Aw man, I should have planned better.  If I stayed a few extra days, could have met you for breakfast!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    Yeah -but you would not have had your Southwest Airlines intro experience... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan - The food was as good as I recall although I had been alerted to potential issues with timely order delivery at the new place.  Opens at 8 AM and I rolled in around 8:30 AM to be only the third customer in the place.  No order issues at all.  Before I left  the line had grown to around 15 but was fast moving order-wise and the same with delivery.
    Nice place with plenty of tables (more than the food truck location) and a bar as well.
    I will go back one more time this trip.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    @lousubcap how is the new location? Food seem to be on par? Curious how business is holding up. I heard they suffered some setbacks from the support community due to how they dispersed(or not) tips. Sounds like they changed their rules after some backlash but I know sometimes it can take time to win back the crowd. 

WTF - I'm gobsmacked that they thought that practice was legal to begin with.
    I really wish this country would just eliminate the whole tipping culture thing.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap said:
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan - The food was as good as I recall although I had been alerted to potential issues with timely order delivery at the new place.  Opens at 8 AM and I rolled in around 8:30 AM to be only the third customer in the place.  No order issues at all.  Before I left  the line had grown to around 15 but was fast moving order-wise and the same with delivery.
    Nice place with plenty of tables (more than the food truck location) and a bar as well.
    I will go back one more time this trip.  
    Good to hear the food is on par. I look forward to checking out the new place. Their brisket is on another level. 
    Snellville, GA

• @HeavyG I agree. Seems like an odd way to motivate the staff. 
    Snellville, GA

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    I never had a problem tipping for full restaurant service, If it was good 25-30% I never tipped for counter service or pick up orders but then the pandemic came. Restaurants were suffering and people like myself wanted to help, so started tipping for things like take out I hadn’t before to try to help them out. I mean who wants to see some good local eats go away due to COVID. It was only going to be few weeks to flatten the curve they said…. Problem is since then it’s expected everywhere anymore. Order at the counter and fill your own drinks, clear the table yourself and still get the touch screen flipped around for a tip. The company that sprays my lawn sends a link for payment and software ask for a tip, nope.
    Jacksonville FL
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,837
    edited October 2023
    HeavyG said:

WTF - I'm gobsmacked that they thought that practice was legal to begin with.
    I really wish this country would just eliminate the whole tipping culture thing.

Europe does tipping right. But then again, lots of people in the service industry there make a living wage to begin with. Often a profession there. Tipping has become farcical in North America. Just a way to offload salary to the consumer. “Off soapbox.”

Edit: Don’t get me started on the prescribed tipping percentages programmed into point of sale terminals, which often begin at 20%. An absolute joke. And if you have to tip before you’ve even received service, just how are you supposed to determine an appropriate tip? Not the staff’s fault, but it’s just become perverse. 
  • MasterC said:
    Mrs.C has a carry in tomorrow and she volunteered, me, to make a side and dessert. Baked the Cobblers tonight.

Prepped the macaroni and the egg as well. Now to just get up at 4:30am, light the egg and smoke the mac

And help her load the car. 
    Although painful for some, I’ve always found there is something downright magical about lighting the Egg in the wee hours of the morning and enjoying the journey. But as someone who doesn’t sleep well, maybe that’s easy to say. 

Food looks great. Did the cobblers get Egg’d? I have no doubt all will enjoy. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,019
    While I agree with your thought about lighting the egg in the wee hours, I've found that if you light the egg before you go to bed and just open the vents a couple of millimeters, when you wake up - LATER THAN YOU WOULD IF YOU HAD TO LIGHT THE EGG IN THE MORNING - you still get that great "I'm out here with the egg in the crisp, dark morning feeling", and a little more sleep... and you feel less rushed because the temp is settled, the VOCs are long gone, and you can just dial it in and go.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,837
    edited October 2023
    @Foghorn

100% agree that that’s the ideal scenario. Love the strategy.

But for me, I won’t run the Egg unattended. Two of my three sit on a wooden deck, and even the one on concrete is in close proximity to combustible materials. The only time I’ve done an overnight like that is once, when I had the MiniMax on grass in the middle of my backyard. While I recognize the risk is minimal, I could never forgive myself if there was an incident. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Congratulations @Gulfcoastguy. That's exciting news.
  • ColbyLang
    Wondering how long the New Orleans Saints will keep Dennis Allen employed. 
  • ColbyLang
    Blippi making bankroll off of acting silly for kids. Can you tell we watch it at my house too? 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    @ColbyLang , I’ll admit it’s pretty funny sometimes. But that dang excavator song is horrible. Gets stuck in my head. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    Reading up on all the Fat Stacks Smokers drama.  :|
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    SonVolt said:
    Reading up on all the Fat Stacks Smokers drama.  :|
    Does seem like quite the mess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BBQ/comments/177iekp/fatstack_smokers_theft_do_not_buy/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk