Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,020
    CPFC1905 said:
    Juts in case I threw your whole weekend out of whack by not sharing my astonishing insight about the PL on Friday,  but they aren't playing and instead faffing about with nonsense international friendlies.

But, while I've got you - what's your thoughts on the cricket world cup so fast?  Many, I'm sure.   Lovely to see some many of our colonies rejoining for a jamboree of leather on willow fun.   A lot of of 'oh, haven't your grown' type comments as the young upstart nations gather around the maiden Aunt that's good old Blighty.

England look to have conducted their classic 'peak before the tournament' strategy.  :s
    @CPFC1905, I'm surprised you weren't glued to the telly watching a proper game of football between the Germans and the son of the president of Liberia - or better yet, a victory by your own talented young lads over your largest colony.  May I assume that you don't think the latest Madridista fan favorite will be able to lift the Three Lions to European glory?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Juts in case I threw your whole weekend out of whack by not sharing my astonishing insight about the PL on Friday,  but they aren't playing and instead faffing about with nonsense international friendlies.

But, while I've got you - what's your thoughts on the cricket world cup so fast?  Many, I'm sure.   Lovely to see some many of our colonies rejoining for a jamboree of leather on willow fun.   A lot of of 'oh, haven't your grown' type comments as the young upstart nations gather around the maiden Aunt that's good old Blighty.

England look to have conducted their classic 'peak before the tournament' strategy.  :s
    @CPFC1905, I'm surprised you weren't glued to the telly watching a proper game of football between the Germans and the son of the president of Liberia - or better yet, a victory by your own talented young lads over your largest colony.  May I assume that you don't think the latest Madridista fan favorite will be able to lift the Three Lions to European glory?
    Young Mr Bellingham does look a splendid talent, and there's decent quality spread about the rest of the squad. However, serial competition winners have the confidence from prior success in their locker and we just seem to get all giddy.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    Indubitably smashing. That’s all I got. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,020
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:

Young Mr Bellingham does look a splendid talent, and there's decent quality spread about the rest of the squad. However, serial competition winners have the confidence from prior success in their locker and we just seem to get all giddy.  
    I hear you, but I do wonder if gathering trophies for one's club can lead to that mentality for one's country.  Having a group from Man City and Real Madrid might be just what they need.  Spain broke through in 2008 with that recipe and went on a good 4 year run.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:

I hear you, but I do wonder if gathering trophies for one's club can lead to that mentality for one's country.  Having a group from Man City and Real Madrid might be just what they need.  Spain broke through in 2008 with that recipe and went on a good 4 year run.  
    Good point.  So squad members being used to winning major trophies bringing that with them - as opposed to England winning things.  That'll do for me.  We're nailed on then and it'll be Sir Gareth.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,837
    edited October 2023
    Hanging out with a few hundred of my closest friends.

I feel like pink shirt is your kindred spirit; the level of disdain on her face is probably equal to your own.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,231
    edited October 2023
    Hanging out with a few hundred of my closest friends.

I feel like pink shirt is your kindred spirit; the level of disdain on your face is probably equal to your own.  
    I will admit, the unwashed masses made me shudder some.  But if our very distinguished @JohnInCarolina can fly commercial, then I can too.

I did show the wife @lkapigian post and the "value" your own plane can offer.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Hanging out with a few hundred of my closest friends.

I feel like pink shirt is your kindred spirit; the level of disdain on your face is probably equal to your own.  
    I will admit, the unwashed masses made me shudder some.  But if our very distinguished @JohnInCarolina can fly commercial, then I can too.

I did show the wife @lkapigian post and the "value" your own plane can offer.
    A luta continua.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    Thank God there was no reflection on the can window. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    Austin outdoing itself. The juxtaposition of this scene is mind boggling.  It has all the rails in one photo:

American Flag
    Pride Flag
    Jesus loves you sign
    A pro-Palestine rally.
    And guess what window it was taken from?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,604
    I'm headed to Austin this coming extended (for me) weekend for the Formula 1 race.  Last time there-Dec 2021.
    Road trip to Valentina's in Buda a must. linked here: https://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/ 
    The real deal Holyfield with brisket for the win. Thank me later. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    lousubcap said:
    I'm headed to Austin this coming extended (for me) weekend for the Formula 1 race.  Last time there-Dec 2021.
    Road trip to Valentina's in Buda a must. linked here: https://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/ 
    The real deal Holyfield with brisket for the win. Thank me later. 

Is Valentina's open again?  Last time I was here it was closed because they were moving or renovating?

My only available day is Monday and they have a limited menu 😥

• lousubcap
    @Ozzie_Isaac -timing is everything and your window of opportunity just means you need to get back to the area Weds-Sunday.  Dang-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    I'm guessing a BGE cover but independent of that, great skill set from an accomplished pianist on the side. 
    I have never heard of a sew shop.  My life is short changed. 
  • lousubcap said:
    I'm guessing a BGE cover but independent of that, great skill set from an accomplished pianist on the side. 
    Thanks, Frank. 

Cover is from Montana Grills. Originally bought in 2016. Replaced under warranty in 2017 due to busted seams. The replacement had been holding up well up until now. 

Yes. It exists. A place called Fabricland not terribly far from us. That curved hook was recommended to us by staff. 

Admirably, the in-laws put all of the children - even the boys - in sewing from a young age. A lost art; not dissimilar to parallel parking. 😎
  • Dyal_SC said:
    Thank God there was no reflection on the can window. 
    That’s just the angle.  There is another pic with a reflection that he only sent to his “friends”.  Don’t ask me how I know about this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Almost bought a new cover, but I hate the waste.

Love bringing things back to life whenever possible. 

A trip to the local sew shop and a few minutes of wifey’s work has rejuvenated this thing. For the record, I can and will sew; she took lessons growing up and knows what she’s doing. 
    October is "National Sausage Month", and the guys at the "2 Guys and a Cooler" EweTube channel have been uploading a new recipe every day.  Today's was a stuffed-stomach sausage of Cajun origin, an interesting assembly/process.  The pig's stomach was shaped kinda like a "Christmas stocking", open at the top with a curved "toe" at the bottom.  He scrubbed that thing, both inside-out and outside-out, with water and handfuls of salt, before he finally got all the slime off of it (I became a vegetarian for about 90 minutes this afternoon)  ("I got better"/Python).  
    He then trimmed all the fat off of it, and then for whatever reason cut off the "toe" of the "sock"; wtff??  He then had to "sew up" (my post eventually becomes relevant) the bottom of the stomach, using a large needle and twine, then stuffed the stomach by hand until full/tight, and then sew the top shut also.  He wrapped it with those net bags you sometimes get hams in (interesting process) and did the typical fermenting/smoking/drying/cooking processes after that.  
    I've been copying most of the recipes this month, had to pass on this one.  I'd try a slice of it made by someone else, but preparing that stomach myself would ruin it for me for the rest of my years (as cleaning Rocky Mountain Oysters from their raw state did, back in college).  
    I could sew a button back onto my uniform in my early days, but with my eyes now (could never thread a needle) I just take any work to the asian-owned tailor shop south of the base (every military base has one).  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,640
    lousubcap said:
    My sister owns a sewing shop, to be specific a quilting shop , for her retirement job. For a few she will do custom sewing orders when there are no customers or after hours: machine embroidery of logo's for hospitals etc, sewing the backing on quilt tops that her customers did, sells fabric and certain patterns, sells and repairs quality sewing machines, holds classes on anything pertaining to sewing. She made masks early in the Confefe.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,978
    Thought of @Ozzie_Isaac when I stumbled upon these in my parts collection tonight, trouble is I forgot about them when I needed one earlier in the summer  :)
    Paid peanuts for all three sets from a clearance warehouse!

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,978
    Almost bought a new cover, but I hate the waste.

Love bringing things back to life whenever possible. 

A trip to the local sew shop and a few minutes of wifey’s work has rejuvenated this thing. For the record, I can and will sew; she took lessons growing up and knows what she’s doing. 

@GrateEggspectations Great minds think alike or fools seldom differ :)  Impressive sewing job!

FWIW, I got a bunch of primitive cobbler awls from India, great for sewing thick tough material. Few years ago I picked up two free brand new bbq covers with ripped seams, I reinforced the repair with a strip of leather inside and they turned out better/stronger than new.

And don't laugh. I used to travel with one, great for emergency shoe or luggage repair  =)

canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Thought of @Ozzie_Isaac when I stumbled upon these in my parts collection tonight, trouble is I forgot about them when I needed one earlier in the summer  :)
    Paid peanuts for all three sets from a clearance warehouse!

That is where they all have gone!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    SamIAm2 said:
    @Gulfcoastguy - We were given cloth patches for every shuttle launch with individual designs and the names of the crew embroidered on them. Woman I worked with made her first quilt using all those patches:
    A quilt shop did the batting and joining of the back side, sewed patterns like flames, clouds, and shuttle landing outlines.

It is on loan at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. The lady in the center was the person was worked at the Air and Space Museum, quilter and husband on the right. It made the rounds on the Space Center, in the shuttle, at the photo shoot of the two shuttles nose to nose on the ground. Lots of photos of it.
    That is so cool!  When your first quilt ends up in the Smithsonian, you best just quit.

P.S. that challenger patch brought the feels.  I watched that live, sadly, as did most of my generation.

• @SamIAm2

Beautiful quilt with an exceptional story behind it. Thanks for sharing. 

Hope all is well on your end.