Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Shopping for all things puppy related.  Food, crates, toys... you name it. 
    What breed did you get/are you getting? Was this your initiative?

My family asks for a puppy weekly, so I’m pretty much a constant stream of disappointment to them. 
    He was found as a stray so we don’t know the exact breed.  The foster owner seemed to think he might be part McNab, and that seems to fit.  I put some pics in the pets thread if you want to check him out.

Our oldest has been begging us to get a dog for years.  I never had a dog growing up (though my wife did) and a major factor for us was the girls’ willingness to embrace most of the responsibility for taking care of him.  It was very helpful that we had him with us for a couple of days before making a final decision so that we could all get some sense of what we were getting ourselves into. 
    Otto is pretty cute. Congrats on the addition to the fam. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,067
    Legume said:
    Shopping for all things puppy related.  Food, crates, toys... you name it. 

My family asks for a puppy weekly, so I’m pretty much a constant stream of disappointment to them. 
    Did you have a dog growing up?
    It may shock you to know, but my father never let me. 🙃

We had a Boston terrier from about 2007 or 2008 until 2014 or so, but he had a rare neurological disorder and we ultimately had to put him down at seven years old. 
    Be a hero.
    Not a felon
  • Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Shopping for all things puppy related.  Food, crates, toys... you name it. 

Did you have a dog growing up?
    It may shock you to know, but my father never let me. 🙃

We had a Boston terrier from about 2007 or 2008 until 2014 or so, but he had a rare neurological disorder and we ultimately had to put him down at seven years old. 
    Be a hero.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,608
    The guests are gonna be eating quite well right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • My sister Beulah was half dog. It took me a long time to figure out why my belly always tickled when we hugged and then I saw her in the shower and she has six nipples between her belly button and har soapless brillo pad. Suddenly it all made sense.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 500
    edited September 2023

@lousubcap

Texture is a little softer than I prefer but this might be the juiciest flat portion I've ever had 
    Austin, TX
  • lousubcap
    @Eggpharmer Looks great.  Glad it worked for you.  Thanks for the assessment. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    @Eggpharmer - great results and pics.  Nailed that cook and however you get that kind of result is all that matters in the end game.  Congrats!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Thinking that I'm glad I didn't go to Burning Man this year...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG said:

Haha, was just reading about that.  What a mess.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    Protein cooking machine right there.  A true banquet awaits the recipients. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,240
    HeavyG said:

Did the Fyre Festival promoters put on BM this year?

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,064
    edited September 2023
    Thinking things could get unpleasant if this stupid soccer game cuts into my MotoGP race.  

EDIT:  Okay, two goals in the last 90 seconds is pretty cool.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,066
    ColtsFan said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Threw this bad boy into the dishwasher this morning.  She’s not pretty, but she’ll do!

I’m totally judging you on your choice of kosher salt there. 
    lol, what’s wrong with it?
    Always been a Diamond Crystal fan myself. Maybe there should be a “Which Kosher Salt is Best” thread. 
    Gotcha.   Yeah I’m not sure I realized there were kosher salt factions!
    Yes there is.  Diamond Crystal is like the Duke's Mayo.  I have never seen it, but I hear it has lighter flakier crystals which makes it easier to salt to taste with.

My understanding is a teaspoon of DC had las NaCl than a teaspoon of Mortons, so you are less likely to overshoot your intended flavor.
    Diamond Crystal, Meh

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Leave it to the salty French-
    And yes, I have explored the world of sea salt-being a sailor it's an ingrained (intentional) thing.  Occasionally I will receive a " prior unknown sea salt" as a hook to "buy again."  Never worked but has opened the world of salt.  I'm guessing it could devolve into the nuanced world but my palate is not discriminating enough to finesse the differences.
  • HeavyG
    Fun fact: Almost all sea salts now contain microplastics. Yummy!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,066
    HeavyG said:

Salt is a funny game , All Salt comes from
    the sea , many , Morton’s , include anti caking agents , most are all super refined …I’ll never go back to salt from the store …. Your most important player on you cooking team is Salt , buy wisely
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Salt is good for seasoning but don't get any on your sphincter. My sister Beulah once sat on a salt block we had for Jinxie our horse and it stuck to her hoo haw for like seven full days. Momma made her special pants because she had to go to school for three of those days and nobody wants other students to think you have a block of salt stuck to your hoo haw. In general, you want other students to think.you have a sweet hoo haw. 
  • HeavyG
    lkapigian said:
    HeavyG said:

Salt is a funny game , All Salt comes from
    the sea , many , Morton’s , include anti caking agents , most are all super refined …I’ll never go back to salt from the store …. Your most important player on you cooking team is Salt , buy wisely
    Certainly at some point almost all salt beds were formed by a sea. However, salt that is from ancient beds/mined is free of any manmade contaminants. The exception might be some of those that do undergo further processing "at the factory".
    Since microplastics are so pervasive planet-wide almost all sea salts made in the traditional evaporation process will contain microplastics. Himalayan salt is free of microplastics, sadly tho it appears that in recent years some brands have tested positive for plastics which are due to simply being exposed to the air while being processed/packaged.
    Are microplastics in our salt a health concern? Probably not. We're probably more at risk from all the microplastics that enter our lungs daily. Instead, microplastics are just another indicator of human's mucking up the planet and while we are likely mostly free of any negative effects from them the same cannot be said of much of the flora and fauna that live in our seas/oceans.

On a lighter note here's a fancy finishing sea salt that I really like and give two thumbs up:

Cheeezus - didn't mean for that pix to be so huge. This new redesign seems to be doing that with lotsa pix (at least on my desktop).

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,064
    HeavyG said:

Cheeezus - didn't mean for that pix to be so huge. This new redesign seems to be doing that with lotsa pix (at least on my desktop).
    Well, we get more for the price then, right?  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,240
    Phew, it go lost behind the leader board, but I found it.  That was close.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL