Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,321

Watching the Hawk & Owl summit.

Serious question, are those birds real?  :)

That question has been resolved, there is a dedicated thread on the topic.  :)
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Watching the Hawk & Owl summit.

Serious question, are those birds real?  :)
    As real as any birds are real 😉

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,480
    Just hosted the 4 yo granddaughter's pool (next door) party and then a banquet but no pics so it didn't happen,  Paella and grilled veggies for the big kids (aka adults) and lots of mac and cheese for the kiddos, along with dogs and ketchup (haven't graduated to mustard). 
    Nothing like pay-back for dropping in and spinning 'em up and then we get the party clean-up.  Wouldn't trade. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Would have enjoyed pics of the banquet, but alas, life gets busy. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    My bad, thought it was this guy up there
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/pest-control/mammals/45518-garden-scare-owl?item=AT235
    I'm definitely overdue for cataract surgery  :)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    My bad, thought it was this guy up there
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/garden/pest-control/mammals/45518-garden-scare-owl?item=AT235
    I'm definitely overdue for cataract surgery  :)
    Nope, both hawk and owl are real.  We see them both a lot, but never seen them together like this.

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,945
    lousubcap said:
    @CPFC1905 - glad you have surfaced. Entertaining read above.  Regarding covers, nice gesture but those of us on this side of the pond (at least me) find one to not be necessary. 
    Getting along here despite the clown show nature of the political scene.
    Edit to throttle back on the political rhetoric. 
    Suffice to say it is necessary here, but now that weather has become third rail topic as well, I shall expound no further.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:
    @CPFC1905 - glad you have surfaced. Entertaining read above.  Regarding covers, nice gesture but those of us on this side of the pond (at least me) find one to not be necessary. 
    Getting along here despite the clown show nature of the political scene.
    Edit to throttle back on the political rhetoric. 
    Suffice to say it is necessary here, but now that weather has become third rail topic as well, I shall expound no further.
    Official Ruling:  weather is open season here

• nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 74
    Here’s one I haven’t seen yet.  Getting ready for my Prostatectomy on Thursday.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    Pro tip, don’t be passed out on Fentanyl if you are going to also be in the front seat of a stolen truck
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,480
    Weather has it's own thread over in OT with some diverse (at a minimum) postings.  Check it out. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Pro tip, don’t be passed out on Fentanyl if you are going to also be in the front seat of a stolen truck
    At least they were not dead.  Between Fentanyl and the heat, good thing you found them.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Wishing for the next Ice Age to come on 

• @nealmgb

The “like” is a show of support. Will be thinking of you. I believe some members here have had the procedure done, if you are looking to share experiences. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    DuckDogDr said:
    Wishing for the next Ice Age to come on 

Phoenix has had 16 consecutive days over 110 and for the last 8 it has yet to dip below 90, even in the dead of night. 

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    @Ozzie_Isaac
    No thank you. I’d be taking “mental health days “ in the pool
  • I feel like @nolagegghead needs this in his life. Maybe @sgh too. 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,493
    Had a hail storm come thru last night. Golf ball size plus. The subie took some hits. I got a guy coming to check out the roof on the house. Claim on the subie for certain. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Spotted this video online and thought of @sgh. Been a good while since we’ve seen a decent shaving post. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    ColtsFan said:
    Had a hail storm come thru last night. Golf ball size plus. The subie took some hits. I got a guy coming to check out the roof on the house. Claim on the subie for certain. 
    That is a bummer, hopefully it will all be taken car of smoothly and quickly.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    loaded with gallstones........
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2023
    FrostyEgg said:
    @lkapigian going to need the details on that!
    @FrostyEgg ... I have modified this over the years, it is a riff from Malcom Reeds but pretty far from the original now 

For a full hotel pan 

• 2# cavatappi pasta ( or large Elbow ) cook al dente it will finish on the smoker 
    • 2# Pancetta or a good quality center cut bacon, half for topping half for the mix
    • 500 Grams creme fraiche or sour cream ( if you have the time make your own creme fraiche) 
    • 500 Grams Mayo
    • 2 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs 
    • 2# Extra Sharp Cheddar( dont buy the Fvcking pre shredded) 
    • 1# Monterey Jack, See above on the pre Fvcing shredded
    • A Few tablespoons of a hot sauce you like, I use lacto fermented
    • Salt Pepper Garlic 1/1/1 ratio 2-3 TBS Total 
    • 1/2 cup reserved bacon fat
    • 1/2 Cup Flour
    • 1 Half Gallon Heavy Cream

I do all the prep a day or two ahead as I Fvking hate making this

• Cut up bacon, fry to crisp, drain....chop bacon once cooled 
    • mix half the bacon with 2 cups bacon, set aside 
    • Grate all your cheese
    • in a bowl add creme fraiche or sour cream and mayo, add 1/2 the chopped bacon SPG and hot sauce , set aside 
    • Cook the pasta , set aside 
    • make a reaux with the bacon grease and flower, convert that to a bechamel sauce ( adding the heavy creme, learn you Damn mother sauces) convert that to a mornay sauce ( add the cheese, see above on the mother sauces) 
    • when your Mornay is smooth,, shut off and add Creme fraiche/mayo mixture, blend till well combined 
    • Add this mixture to a hotel pan
    • add drained pasta
    • top with bacon/panko mixture ....put some thought into this , don't just toss it like you dont Fvcking care ...I do this a day ahead and chill

put on the smoker ( please not a damn oven) smoke for a couple hours to get a nice color and warmed through

They will love it, you will hate making it and know why I call it the last fvking mac and cheese

Thanks For Looking 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    I'm at a Chinese restaurant and I've had a couple of drinks, then I asked the guy if he had short egg rolls, because I eat them the long way, and I have a short gag reflex. He laughed like hell, but also I'm pretty sure I won't get another drink. I can't believe I' m being punished because they don't have short egg rolls.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,974
    Back home.  Quick turnaround then headed out to NM tomorrow for a week plus.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    edited July 2023
    Used my new E-Go string trimmer this morning, works nice!
    Took the old Craftsman off its hook and replaced it with the new E-Go.  I was amazed to see how much longer (1.5 ft!) the E-Go was, so much more comfortable to use for a tall geek like me.  

Then I saw it.

That red plastic twist-lock on the shaft of my old Craftsman.  For the extensible-shaft feature of my Craftsman string trimmer.  Still in its never-changed, short shipping configuration.  For 27 years.   Sigh.   :|  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'