Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,483
    @lkapigian I would crush your crappy brisket cast off groceries.  Great plate and lucky clients. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,490
    lkapigian said:
    Did a party today, they wanted Enchiladas…WTF , so I did Chopped Brisket ( beans and rice ) homemade enchilada sauce … crappy brisket trim but wasn’t going for looks 
    Yours look better than mine. 

Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,975
    Our youngest (13) has a friend over, and they have asked to watch The Exorcist.  So that is what we’re doing…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Our youngest (13) has a friend over, and they have asked to watch The Exorcist.  So that is what we’re doing…
    My wife took our youngest (12) to Barnes & Nobles with a friend today. I didn’t go.  I remember when our oldest daughter wanted to watch The Exorcist. She didn’t make it through the whole thing. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• JohnInCarolina
    My wife took our youngest (12) to Barnes & Nobles with a friend today. I didn’t go.  I remember when our oldest daughter wanted to watch The Exorcist. She didn’t make it through the whole thing. 
    It’s arguably one of the most disturbing movies ever made.  If they make it past her head spinning, I’ll be pretty surprised.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    paqman said:
    dbCooper said:
    @paqman - Cool stuff there.  My experience, solder wick has its place but a sucker is much better in a majority of applications.  If you don't have one you need one.  This is what I use...

I have a 30 years old Radio Shack solder sucker somewhere in a box…. When I was a kid, I would scavenge electronics and take them appart for components.  Fun times!

The one you have looks nice, I may order one.

I helped my Dad move some stuff around in his office yesterday. I went and dumped a couple printer's and the local recycling center this morning. One of them was a big plotter. I felt kind of guilty not offering it up for free on Craigslist or Marketplace where some kid or adult could use the parts for a DIY project. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    lkapigian said:
    Did a party today, they wanted Enchiladas…WTF , so I did Chopped Brisket ( beans and rice ) homemade enchilada sauce … crappy brisket trim but wasn’t going for looks 
    Yours look better than mine. 

Looks Amazing! Push!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,743
    Botch said:
    paqman said:
    Setting up a network based ad blocker (pi-hole) using a Raspberry Pi zero W and a 240x135 mini OLED display.  It is working REALLY well, web pages are loading much faster!  From what I can see, about 25% of the web traffic is being blocked.

Assembly went mostly well, I did a clean solder job only to notice that I soldered the headers backwards… I had to teach SWMBO how to heat the solder joints while I pulled on the pins one by one, 40 of them.  After that, I used solder whick and flux to remove as much solder as I could from the vias.  I then re-soldered everything, I am happy with the end result despite my initial mistake.

Installing the OS and core software components was fairly straightforward but the display library installation documentation was poorly documented, it took me a while to figure it out on my own.

I also had to rewrite the script to display info/stats on the screen and I added code to reboot/shutdown using the buttons.
    So jealous.  I've rebuilt carbs, built wood desks, and set up music recording studios but I'm clueless wrt electronics/software interfaces.  Anything beyond rewiring a lamp goes right over my head.  :confused:  
    @botch This is nothing more than a mini computer running a version of Linux.  There is a mini HDMI port to connect a monitor and USB ports to connect a keyboard/mouse.  You install software on it and configure it / run scripts to make it do what you want.  There is some very good documentation available online to figure stuff out.  The Raspberry Pi zero W costs about 15-20$, same for the small screen.  I am sure you could figure it out!

Kind of a cool story. One that JIC might call “Canadian”…..

Last night, wifey and I were out on a date. Good Italian place in a nice location. After the meal, as we’re settling up and about to leave, wifey mentions the good look of some wings at the table behind me. I take a look and as I’m admiring them over my shoulder, the two guys ant the table invite me to have one. We thank them and tell them we’re not going to cramp their style, but that we appreciate the offer. They insist we sit with them, eat, enjoy some nice wine and chew the fat. Several hours later, we’re closing out the place and have enjoyed some great exchanges. While we offered to throw down for the food and drink, they emphatically declined. Pure generosity from a few total strangers turned friends last night.  

Some great people out there. 
    1: I absolutely love that story. You and the Mrs. are way more social than I could ever be. 

2: That might be the most Canadian story I’ve ever heard. I’d love to hear it from their POV. 

Canadians are awesome. Except those from Edmonton. They can kick rocks in bare feet.  
    Las Vegas, NV

• WeberWho
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,063
    paqman said:
    paqman said:
    @kl8ton 3d printers are a lot of fun. I wish I had one when I was younger… Based on what I am seeing here, go for it!  If you can afford it, I highly recommend a Prusa MK4 or MK3/S+
    When I was a kid I remember reading about them in popular science and being blown away!
    I remember reading about them and thinking they were nice toys.  I ordered one last year to make custom enclosure for my electronic projects.  I did not imagine how much fun I would have with it.

Adapter to use regular sized cans in the larger Yeti colster:

Airtag holder for Samsonite luggage:

Macropad:

Cryptex:

I haven’t found a practical purpose for one on the farm, I mostly fabricate from wood or steel, but there has been times I thought it would be useful. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    WeberWho said:
    Yeah, it’s pretty cool. $2.3 Billion. I believe it is owned/funded by the Madison Square Garden group. It came online on 07/04. It’s supposed to be a concert/eSports venue. Pretty awesome technology. We’ll see how it holds up to the heat. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    WeberWho said:
    That is pretty cool. I've been seeing a bunch of short vids via Twitter the last few days. At first I thought it was in China.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• alaskanassasin
    Was there a thread about Ron cutting his dogs winky this morning or am imagining it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,124
    Was there a thread about Ron cutting his dogs winky this morning or am imagining it.
    There was.  However @JohnInCarolina asked about Mobile version of this website and buffalo nuked it.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• JohnInCarolina
    There was.  However @JohnInCarolina asked about Mobile version of this website and buffalo nuked it.
    Something like that.  Very odd behavior from the Tatonkin these days.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    Aww man!  I was hoping to hear what happpened as well with little John Wayne. Oh well. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    How is your dog doing @RRP ?  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,056
    HeavyG said:
    WeberWho said:
    That is pretty cool. I've been seeing a bunch of short vids via Twitter the last few days. At first I thought it was in China.

That’s awesome the got it finished I was last in Las Vegas about a year ago and it looked like it might still be a while until it was finished. I’ll be interested in how it holds up out there in the extreme conditions of the desert. 
  • alaskanassasin
    I wonder if Ron ever visits this thread, I’m going to guess no.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    I wonder if Ron ever visits this thread, I’m going to guess no.
    Is there a gasket thread someone can bump?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Watching Tom Segura special on Netflix. Jesus he’s funny
  • WeberWho
    We ended up lifting out 6 cement footings this afternoon from the deck demo. A combination of a shovel, power washer, and a utility tractor helped remove these heavy SOB's. My back is feeling it!

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @WeberWho my back hurts just looking at it  =)
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    @WeberWho
    Can that Ford lift it off the ground?

That's a lot of work!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    kl8ton said:
    @WeberWho

That's a lot of work!
    It did! The picture was when it was being laid down. The pressure washer ended up saving the day. I shoveled halfway around each ceramic posts thinking I could nudge each one loose with the bucket and pull them up with a chain. I ended up busting the first ceramic post 3/4 the way down when trying to pull it up with the chain. My Dad had the smart idea with the pressure washer. We were able to create pockets around the posts as far as we could reach with the pressure washer wand. So if anyone needs to remove ceramic posts a pressure washer is your friend. 

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    WeberWho said:
    kl8ton said:
    @WeberWho

That's a lot of work!
    It did! The picture was when it was being laid down. The pressure washer ended up saving the day. I shoveled halfway around each ceramic posts thinking I could nudge each one loose with the bucket and pull them up with a chain. I ended up busting the first ceramic post 3/4 the way down when trying to pull it up with the chain. My Dad had the smart idea with the pressure washer. We were able to create pockets around the posts as far as we could reach with the pressure washer wand. So if anyone needs to remove ceramic posts a pressure washer is your friend. 

Pressure washer is a pretty decent way to also make fence post holes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk