Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    dbCooper said:
    Chatted with a young man that wants to learn how to drive a stick shift, but he can't find a manual.
    On a recent visit to a car museum, we learned there was a class we could take to learn to drive their Model T. Sounded like fun, but then they asked us "Can you drive a manual transmission?" We both responded in the positive, and the reply was "Then you're going to have a harder time."

Still want to do it.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    dbCooper said:
    Chatted with a young man that wants to learn how to drive a stick shift, but he can't find a manual.
    The single best piece of advice I ever received to learn how to drive stick - brake and let off the clutch until it engages without gas. Until you know where the clutch engages, it’s a lost cause. 
    Didn't all Dad's just toss you their keys when they were drinking a few beers in their buddies garage and say, "Here's the keys, practice letting out the clutch and grabbing 1st gear when rolling down the driveway" when they were 14/15 years old? Just me? Haha. Good memories. I was driving down and around the neighborhood a few minutes later. (I understood how a clutch worked with riding a motorcycle) All these years later I still need that 3rd pedal. My Mom, and sister are the same way. My other sister has no idea how to drive a manual transmission. She never had any interest. It's wonderful to see younger kids/adults wanting to learn. The problem now is finding a vehicle that even has the option of manual transmission.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,493
    Step 1: place your left heel on the left edge of the brake pedal. 

Step2: depress the clutch pedal with your left toes while keeping your heel on the brake. 

Step 3: with your right foot press the gas pedal and hold the engine at 4000 rpm

Step 4: swiftly pivot your left foot off of the clutch pedal while keeping the brake depressed 

Step 5: maintain engine rpm and enjoy the burnout

Step 6: bang 2nd gear and let her eat. 

That’s how I’d do it anyways 😆
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    WeberWho said:
    dbCooper said:
    The single best piece of advice I ever received to learn how to drive stick - brake and let off the clutch until it engages without gas. Until you know where the clutch engages, it’s a lost cause. 
    Didn't all Dad's just toss you their keys when they were drinking a few beers in their buddies garage and say, "Here's the keys, practice letting out the clutch and grabbing 1st gear when rolling down the driveway" when they were 14/15 years old? Just me? Haha. Good memories. I was driving down and around the neighborhood a few minutes later. (I understood how a clutch worked with riding a motorcycle) All these years later I still need that 3rd pedal. My Mom, and sister are the same way. My other sister has no idea how to drive a manual transmission. She never had any interest. It's wonderful to see younger kids/adults wanting to learn. The problem now is finding a vehicle that even has the option of manual transmission.  

same here except by fire, tossed me the keys, gave me a quick briefing, started down the road, rode the clutch, punched hard in the arm, learned fast...... big c30 1972 ramp truck with an extra strong clutch pedal that could take a leg off. next manual i owned was a chevette, no clutch after getting it to roll forward, just shift and roll
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    For any news-hounds: Time magazine online, time.com, is now free to anyone (I can't check this myself as I already subscribe to print).  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126
    WeberWho said:
    dbCooper said:
    I learned a manual at 13 because one of my Uncles needed rides home from the bar.  I knew I was getting better when he stopped spilling his beer in the truck.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    dbCooper said:

I’m about 95% sure that while I was in grad school I simply had my car broken into and not stolen because the folks doing it couldn’t figure out how to start and/or operate the stick shift.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,803
    First manual I drove as a young teeneager was a 1964 Chevy w/3 on the tree. It had a helluva clutch in it. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    Three on The Tree 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    When I was a kid we went to an abandoned K Mart parking lot.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    Cops just left.  They are at our house frequently for the foster daughter.  Now we can head out for a two-night vacation.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,803
    edited June 2023
    kl8ton said:
    Cops just left.  They are at our house frequently for the foster daughter.  Now we can head out for a two-night vacation.
    Sorry to hear. The like is for support. 

Is this some sort of check in, or is there trouble a-brewin’? If the latter, wishing you the best of outcomes. 

Edit: Enjoy your time away!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    There's been trouble brewing since day one. This time there are charges being pressed.  We put in our 30 day notice to have her removed a while ago We just have to ride this out.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • @kl8ton

Very sorry to hear that, and best of luck. 
  • Kayak
    kl8ton said:
    We knew all the cops in our town. That was a fun time. One day I went to retrieve DD, and had them meet me there. After some screaming in the driveway, I decided to let her stay. They kicked her out a month later and wanted me to pay for the cell phone they bought her. Ha ha. No.
    At midnight one night, the cops called and said she was seen at such and such convenience store. I asked if that meant I had to go get her. They said I had to make the appearance of an effort.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    ColbyLang said:
    Bet you they all signed the “You Might Die” waiver. 

Regardless. It sucks. Hull breach and they got crushed like a coke can. Praying for some sort of closure for all involved. 
    The scenario you describe, for me, sounds better than sitting at the bottom of the ocean, panicking and waiting for the oxygen to run out. 
    The latest news has had reports of hearing "banging" noises; most of the sources said this was heard via "aircraft" (?!?!?) but PBS just said it was heard via "sonar" (not sure that's ever done from the air).  Hopefully Time mag will have a better description of what's going on.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Kayak
    edited June 2023
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

Regardless. It sucks. Hull breach and they got crushed like a coke can. Praying for some sort of closure for all involved. 
    The scenario you describe, for me, sounds better than sitting at the bottom of the ocean, panicking and waiting for the oxygen to run out. 
    The latest news has had reports of hearing "banging" noises; most of the sources said this was heard via "aircraft" (?!?!?) but PBS just said it was heard via "sonar" (not sure that's ever done from the air).  Hopefully Time mag will have a better description of what's going on.  
    I'm sure @lousubcap could explain the connection of aircraft and sonar thoroughly.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,491
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

Sonobouys. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

US Navy sub hunting aircraft have sono bouys they can drop into the ocean that will listen and relay whatever they hear to the aircraft.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 417
    edited June 2023
    I came across this thread a bit ago and slowly worked my way through it. Along the way there were a number of you for whom I developed a serious respect for. It's an honor to share the forum with you.
    There's some poor grammar in there, but I think you get the idea.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,485
    Kayak said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

I'm sure @lousubcap could explain the connection of aircraft and sonar thoroughly.

No need for any thoroughness.  A couple of the above posts capture the way it works. 
    Now with a buoy field and hopefully a few of the buoys picking up the sound it would be short work to extend bearing lines from the triggered buoys to get a fairly close cross-fix as to the origin on the sound.  Hopefully that's the case but I have not heard that.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    ColtsFan said:
    Step 1: place your left heel on the left edge of the brake pedal. 

Step2: depress the clutch pedal with your left toes while keeping your heel on the brake. 

Step 3: with your right foot press the gas pedal and hold the engine at 4000 rpm

Step 4: swiftly pivot your left foot off of the clutch pedal while keeping the brake depressed 

Step 5: maintain engine rpm and enjoy the burnout

Step 6: bang 2nd gear and let her eat. 

That’s how I’d do it anyways 😆
    Drive it like you stole it!
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,977
    Headed home.  On a flight from ATL to RDU.  Very short connection so sadly no time to hit Popeye’s.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Headed home.  On a flight from ATL to RDU.  Very short connection so sadly no time to hit Popeye’s.
    I usually just let my pilots know and they will bring it in for me.  No need to get it myself.

• JohnInCarolina
    I usually just let my pilots know and they will bring it in for me.  No need to get it myself.
    Well, not all of us are able to fly on PJs.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    You are honestly saying a Duke professor flies common?  My friend, you needed better contracts.

• JohnInCarolina
    You are honestly saying a Duke professor flies common?  My friend, you needed better contracts.
    Those of us working for Uncle Sam don’t have much choice of air transportation.  It’s really sad taxpayers aren’t willing to pay for much more.  Maybe I should run for office on this burning issue? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Those of us working for Uncle Sam don’t have much choice of air transportation.  It’s really sad taxpayers aren’t willing to pay for much more.  Maybe I should run for office on this burning issue? 
    Or become a Supreme Court Judge?  They don't have to deal with pesky taxpayers or ethics.