Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Just got done watching the new Thor movie with my boy. Movie was terrible, the time we had was not. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - what are your top two criteria in the evaluation??
    I typically only evaluate faculty from R1 institutions, so I tend to focus on their research accomplishments and their independence from their doctoral and post-doctoral advisors.  
    I'm quite sure an R1 institution is like a D1 (ACC-nod) in college sports but at the PhD playing field level.  
    And since I'm here, given I'm quite sure other professors are also involved in the evaluation what is your ballpark "Yes" assessment percentage and the minimum overall approval outcome (unanimous??) if such is allowed to be shared?

I would guess you discuss with the other evaluators??  
    BTW- I'm not asking to improve my odds in this endeavor.   B)

If I didn't know how seriously @JohnInCarolina takes this aspect of his life, I would make a joke about acceptance is directly proportional to age of whiskey and or Scotch provided.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,599
    I get the seriousness of making the call.  In a previous life I was in a place to do the relative same deal.  Just trying to appreciate a bit about the process as the tenure call is the ultimate bar to clear.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,154
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - what are your top two criteria in the evaluation??
    I typically only evaluate faculty from R1 institutions, so I tend to focus on their research accomplishments and their independence from their doctoral and post-doctoral advisors.  
    I'm quite sure an R1 institution is like a D1 (ACC-nod) in college sports but at the PhD playing field level.  
    And since I'm here, given I'm quite sure other professors are also involved in the evaluation what is your ballpark "Yes" assessment percentage and the minimum overall approval outcome (unanimous??) if such is allowed to be shared?

I would guess you discuss with the other evaluators??  
    BTW- I'm not asking to improve my odds in this endeavor.   B)

There is never any coordination.  I don’t even know who the other evaluators are.   

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,058
    Is it the capacitor @Botch?

A/C.  Sweet, sweet A/C.  

Repairman showed up at 6 pm on a Friday, bless him.  

The Good News: it was the capacitor.  Size not made anymore but he set up two in series/parallel (?) and got it going.  Under $250.

The Not-So-Good News: A/Cs normally last 10-15 years; mine is at 22.  It uses the refrigerant not being manufactured anymore, so any leak or similar, I'll have to replace it.  May do this proactively this fall when prices drop; that would give me the opportunity to pour a decent cement pad for it, the plastic thingie I got is sinking/cracked.  

(and it wasn't until this afternoon that I remembered I had a stupid fan in the basement)  :(  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• lousubcap
    Ask @lkapigian -"Its always the capacitor until it isn't".  But that fix will get you plenty of run-time.  22 years is impressive, especially in your environment and the (can't resist) climate change.
    Enjoy the weekend and stay healthy and safe out there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    lousubcap said:
    Ask @lkapigian -"Its always the capacitor until it isn't".  But that fix will get you plenty of run-time.  22 years is impressive, especially in your environment and the (can't resist) climate change.
    Enjoy the weekend and stay healthy and safe out there.  
    They never break in the spring lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    @lousubcap
    Brother Cap down here in Dixie when it’s smoking hot there are tiny black gnats that swarm around dogs asses. You will literally see the dogs puckering their asses to try and shew away the gnats. My grandfather always said that’s where the name came from. When the gnats are bad enough to make dogs pucker their anus until the day the gnats recede enough that the puckering stops, that’s what we always called the dog days of summer or the time of puckering. No matter what you call it, it’s a hot and miserable time for sure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• @SGH

What happened to your shaving posts, my friend? This used to be a much more hairless place. 
  • lousubcap
    @SGH - as has been said many times. "learn something new dang near every day here." 
    Why am I not surprised that your insights are focused on a$$es and related muscle ability.  Days of pucker has a nice ring unto itself, never mind the history.  Mileage with that...
    Be well and glad you are still present.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    edited July 2022
    @lousubcap
    All kidding aside, more people in my area refer to it as the time of puckering than refer to it as the dog days of summer. I didn’t  hear it called that until I was in my late teens. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Battleborn
    Watching the re-incarnation of Live PD with the wife. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    They let you take your bodycam vids home?

• Battleborn
    They let you take your bodycam vids home?
    No. We can watch them through the Axon website, the company that makes the cameras, whenever we need to. It is against our policy to record them though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    lousubcap said:
    @SGH - as has been said many times. "learn something new dang near every day here." 
    Why am I not surprised that your insights are focused on a$$es and related muscle ability.  Days of pucker has a nice ring unto itself, never mind the history.  Mileage with that...
    Be well and glad you are still present.
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    I was always told the dog days of summer came from the time of year Indians would domesticate coyotes and wolves.

See in the winter the coyotes and wolves were ravenous and thus vicious.  In the summer months the heat and fat eating from spring time made them lazy and content.  They were easy to sneak up on and capture.  Once caught they were usually still to fat and hot to fight much.  During these days you could easily get them to become domesticated.  Then once winter hit they realized the Indians would keep them fed and warm.  After that, they would be your partner for life.

If you wanted a dog, you needed to get a wolf or coyote during the "dog days of summer".

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950

Stand-by, stand-by.  Less that a week until PL 22/23 Gameweek #1.  Tighten your belts, gird your loins and tilt your shoulders - here it comes. The fun and frolics start next Friday. 

What can we expect this time around?  Well, 90% the same as last time - but that’s not the point, is it?   

1. Who’s going to win it?    Currently the bookies like Man City, then; Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea in that order.  Spurs look incongruous in 3rd favourite but that’s the Conte factor,  a genuine ‘winner’ of a manger.  Not a developer but very much in the here and now.
    2. Who’s going down? All 3 teams staying up happens once a decade and this season will be market standard with Nottingham Forest, a club with an illustrious past, already looking like fish out of water.  Yes, ‘Forest’ is their suffix of choice. Derived from Sherwood Forest of Robin Hood fame. 
    3. A winter break.  PL chiefs have benevolently granted a few weeks off mid-season.  OK, it coincides with the World Cup - but you know, a change is as good as a rest, right?  And that’s the World Cup taking place at the very heart of football; Qatar.  Yes, that Qatar with no football legacy at all and where alcohol is banned. 

I am impossibly excited,  I dare not look online for charcoal as I might just explode. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • lousubcap
    @CPFC1905 - opening the season already in top form.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Cucumbers are coming on strong. Picked a dozen just this morning. So time for some pickles. 

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    Botch said:

A/C.  Sweet, sweet A/C.  

The Good News: it was the capacitor.  Size not made anymore but he set up two in series/parallel (?) and got it going.  Under $250.

The Not-So-Good News: A/Cs normally last 10-15 years; mine is at 22.  It uses the refrigerant not being manufactured anymore, so any leak or similar, I'll have to replace it.  May do this proactively this fall when prices drop; that would give me the opportunity to pour a decent cement pad for it, the plastic thingie I got is sinking/cracked.  

(and it wasn't until this afternoon that I remembered I had a stupid fan in the basement)  :(  

Dad taught me if its not broke don't fix it.   But if you do go that route you might be able to sell your R-12 assuming that is what you have. @lkapigian might be able to chime in
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    Date.

When did your world go upside down for you?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    PSA: you can be many things in life. DONT be the arsehole that buys their 16 year old a $60,000 Ford Bronco for their first car and then doesn't teach them how to properly park. Picture won't load but the little turd parked at about a 30 degree angle thus not allowing anyone to park on either side of him in a parking lot with too few spots.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    edited July 2022
    Botch said:

A/C.  Sweet, sweet A/C.  

Dad taught me if its not broke don't fix it.   But if you do go that route you might be able to sell your R-12 assuming that is what you have. @lkapigian might be able to chime in
    R12 was phased out in 96, 22 in 2020, you can sub 407c for 22 in your ac , just don’t add it to the 22….have to remove it all then charge 

and yes to replace in mild weather, never want to do it in an “ emergency “
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,815
    ^^^^Awesome^^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    edited July 2022
    This thread gets a lot of viewers so I thought I would post this here for those in Minnesota ( @WeberWho and I'm sure others). A good read-
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/texas-style-barbecue-minnesota/  
    Edit: Valentina's gets top billing in the article.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    edited July 2022
    lousubcap said:
    This thread gets a lot of viewers so I thought I would post this here for those in Minnesota ( @WeberWho and I'm sure others). A good read-
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/texas-style-barbecue-minnesota/  
    Edit: Valentina's gets top billing in the article.  
    Excellent article. Thank you! I bookmarked it. I will definitely will be giving these places a try. 

A few others off the top of my head:

@StillH2OEgger
    @FrostyEgg
    @sheetmetalpete
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,636
    lkapigian said:
    Botch said:

A/C.  Sweet, sweet A/C.  

R12 was phased out in 96, 22 in 2020, you can sub 407c for 22 in your ac , just don’t add it to the 22….have to remove it all then charge 

and yes to replace in mild weather, never want to do it in an “ emergency “
    Yes I waited to replace my dinasaur until late October back in 2016. I think that GE was original to my 1972 house with a slightly newer outside unit.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    PSA: you can be many things in life. DONT be the arsehole that buys their 16 year old a $60,000 Ford Bronco for their first car and then doesn't teach them how to properly park. Picture won't load but the little turd parked at about a 30 degree angle thus not allowing anyone to park on either side of him in a parking lot with too few spots.
    It is probably how they were taught to park.  Dad probably drives a Ferrari.