Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    lousubcap said:
    To ease the pain give this a listen. B)   You may want to acquire some super power.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-opxZJvIZ0 

There’s a local sign shop that puts up different “funny” things in their sign every few weeks.  Currently the sign for south bound traffic says, “I thought growing old would take longer.”   I can relate. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    Power outage and storms.  Generators running! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    To be fair, I didn’t mean to project that I didn’t love. I absolutely do. There is no other place I would rather be than at home. I spend at least 40 hours a week dealing with “the public” and I love being with my wife not dealing with “the public”.
    Las Vegas, NV

• kl8ton
    Getting gas for generators.  New estimated time of restoration is 430pm 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    Getting gas for generators.  New estimated time of restoration is 430pm 
    Hope all are safe with the storms. 

We were without power 10 days a few months back and a generator is still on my shopping list. 
  • kl8ton
    Power on!  One generator would NOT generate!  I'm sure it's simple.... it runs but the dual 30Amp breaker on it kept tripping immediately.  Had to pick and choose what to run.  Slushie machine drew the short straw.  Also AC was off. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • @kl8ton

In a funny turn of events, I bought a little generator today. Nothing fancy, but a solid unit that meets my needs at a very good price. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    @kl8ton

In a funny turn of events, I bought a little generator today. Nothing fancy, but a solid unit that meets my needs at a very good price. 

You’re crossing the streams! There’s another thread about buying things :)

After Icepocalypse, bought this one last fall - 
    https://www.costco.com/firman-7500w-running--9400w-peak-tri-fuel-generator.product.100840185.html

Being able to run it on NG was the major draw. It’s a bit pricier than a smaller genny but it’s a great almost-whole-house option for the price, and without the maintenance plans, etc. that the bigger whole  house generators come with.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444

Wrecking SWMBO Jr’s childhood memories.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,599
    Thanks to the above generator posts I decided to fire mine up today.  I had not run it for maintenance or required in well over a year (I know, I know).  The one time it woulda been used was DEC 2021 but not here.  Did dodge a run a couple of weeks ago as most of the 'hood lost power for  around 17 hours.  Different and usually less reliable feeder for us but we had two outages each around 2.5 hours during that time.
    BTW- it's 5,250 running watts and started (Briggs and Stratton engine) on the first pull.  Colour (nod) me impressed.  
    It has some serious run time as it is 18 yo.  Longest stretch is 8+days 14 years ago.  Appreciate the push to make it happen.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Thanks to the above generator posts I decided to fire mine up today.  I had not run it for maintenance or required in well over a year (I know, I know).  The one time it woulda been used was DEC 2021 but not here.  Did dodge a run a couple of weeks ago as most of the 'hood lost power for  around 17 hours.  Different and usually less reliable feeder for us but we had two outages each around 2.5 hours during that time.
    BTW- it's 5,250 running watts and started (Briggs and Stratton engine) on the first pull.  Colour (nod) me impressed.  
    It has some serious run time as it is 18 yo.  Longest stretch is 8+days 14 years ago.  Appreciate the push to make it happen.
    That’s a hefty machine you got there. I like the B&S engines. Got an overpowered B&S snowblower on clearance about two years ago. Can do the driveway in minutes without breaking a sweat - a rare feat in our fierce winters! I am guessing you do not own one of their snowblowers. 🙂

Given I’m pretty new to the small engine game, is yearly maintenance just running it a few times yearly and changing oil once a season?
  • lousubcap
    I am no small engine expert but I recall ideally around every 3-4 months with some run time works.  And the oil on a yearly basis, depending on run time works for me.
    I'm sure our friends at google will correct my errors.  And you will get better info from small engine people here.  Paging @WeberWho and @nolaegghead off the top of my advanced age head.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap

Thanks for that. Was just looking for a confirmation of my broad and general assumptions - I know you’re a big fan. 😂 Will seek further clarity via the Googz/instruction manual. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,155
    Spotted some of this in the grocery store today:

Who doesn’t like a shot of bourbon with their coffee, amirite?!?!?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Spotted some of this in the grocery store today:

Who doesn’t like a shot of bourbon with their coffee, amirite?!?!?!?
    I feel like if you had read the fine print, it probably says “*bourbon not included.” Drink this and then infuse your own regular coffee with a shot and let us know how it comes out in the A/B wash. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    lousubcap said:
    I am no small engine expert but I recall ideally around every 3-4 months with some run time works.  And the oil on a yearly basis, depending on run time works for me.
    I'm sure our friends at google will correct my errors.  And you will get better info from small engine people here.  Paging @WeberWho and @nolaegghead off the top of my advanced age head.  
    I wouldn't run anything but ethenol free gas through it for the amount it sits. I agree with @lousubcap with firing it up every 3-4 months. Just to keep things from drying out. Even if it's just for 5 minutes. Changing out oil will depend on how hard you use it. 

Just be careful about pulling the starter coil rope too hard on the Champion generator after a drinking a few beers while ice fishing. It might not recoil back. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    lousubcap said:
    I wouldn't run anything but ethenol free gas through it for the amount it sits. I agree with @lousubcap with firing it up every 3-4 months. Just to keep things from drying out. Even if it's just for 5 minutes. Changing out oil will depend on how hard you use it. 

Just be careful about pulling the starter coil rope too hard on the Champion generator after a drinking a few beers while ice fishing. It might not recoil back. 

Made me lol. 

My father, who has far more wisdom than I do, also recommended ethanol free gas. Also said to empty the gas for any extended periods. So I’m guessing I’ll store it empty and just add the fuel I need to run it quarterly or so. Thanks. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    WeberWho said:
    lousubcap said:

Made me lol. 

My father, who has far more wisdom than I do, also recommended ethanol free gas. Also said to empty the gas for any extended periods. So I’m guessing I’ll store it empty and just add the fuel I need to run it quarterly or so. Thanks. 

Running it dry for long storage is good. Ethenol free gas is key. I can tell you how many times I've left gas in my weed whip and stored for 6-7 months and will fire up no issue the following summer. No way that's happening with ethenol gas with the carb. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    If you don't want or desire to siphon any gas out of the tank after a run, then run it til it quits but if that's too hard shut the fuel cutoff valve and then run til it sputters to ensure there is no gas in the engine.  FWIW-
  • just bought a new hot water tank...and now waiting for plumber to call me tomorrow. ugh..love unexpected expenses (see thread "what are you drinking now")...though this old tank lasted 17 years!

pic of old tank

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,058
    just bought a new hot water tank...and now waiting for plumber to call me tomorrow. ugh..love unexpected expenses (see thread "what are you drinking now")...though this old tank lasted 17 years!

pic of old tank

Just did this a few weeks ago at our house.  Good thing is the tap water here is like 80 degrees in the summer.  The bad, the brainchild who build our house made a “utility” closet and the drywall repair was a lot more than expected.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    just bought a new hot water tank...and now waiting for plumber to call me tomorrow. ugh..love unexpected expenses (see thread "what are you drinking now")...though this old tank lasted 17 years!

pic of old tank

Careful leaving that outside.  I lived near a town that required a permit to install a water heater.  The town code enforcement officers said that also meant a permit was required to replace one.  To get a permit it needed to be inspected by a union plumber.  It was not unheard of to fail inspection unless a union plumber had also been hired to install it.  So a simple water heater install became a very expensive and paperwork intensive process.

The code enforcement officers would drive around and see if any stray water heaters were seen being delivered or thrown out.  If it was, they would look for a permit.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    @JohnfromKentucky also beware of a HOA violation 😉
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Just found out I get to spend next week in Durango, CO on business.  I have not missed business travel.
    There are far worse places to be my man.
    This.  I’m headed to NH. 

Nothing against NH never been.  I know I like CO
    Where in NH?
    Hampton
    That is a pretty strange destination for work travel.  Hampton is ok - there are some decent spots along the water, but it’s far from the best of what NH has to offer.

You get up into the White Mountains and NH is a lot like Colorado.
    It’s not odd if that’s where your customers are
    I just meant compared to where most business travel is in NH, such as Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth or Concord.  

If you get a chance, go to the Tuna Striker Pub in Seabrook, easy short ride from Hampton.  Great food, drinks, and it's right on the waterfront too.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,155
    Ybabpmuts said:
    Just found out I get to spend next week in Durango, CO on business.  I have not missed business travel.
    There are far worse places to be my man.
    This.  I’m headed to NH. 

Nothing against NH never been.  I know I like CO
    Where in NH?
    Hampton
    That is a pretty strange destination for work travel.  Hampton is ok - there are some decent spots along the water, but it’s far from the best of what NH has to offer.

You get up into the White Mountains and NH is a lot like Colorado.
    It’s not odd if that’s where your customers are
    I just meant compared to where most business travel is in NH, such as Manchester, Nashua, Portsmouth or Concord.  

If you get a chance, go to the Tuna Striker Pub in Seabrook, easy short ride from Hampton.  Great food, drinks, and it's right on the waterfront too.
    Also proximate to the nuclear power plant, which is kind of like a bonus.  Be sure to order the glowfish.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Oh it's perfectly safe I'm sure. I think the Eastman's fishing fleet, which runs out of that dock, has a contract to ferry engineers out to the plant for inspections on the ocean side. During the pandemic, someone called the police on them for running the boats with passengers on board (they weren't allowed to run during the early phase of covid). It was perfectly legit because they were all inspectors for the plant, deemed necessary ... obviously. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    seabrook is a nice place, make sure to get a brooka bumpah stickah. lobster and steamers at browns, dont drift off that part of the menu. bring your own beers and watch out for the green head flies. have not been there since it caught fire eons ago.

Image of Rectangle Stickers

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it