Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    kl8ton said:
    Just ejected a drunk and disorderly.  

Did you at least get some funny video?

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• kl8ton said:

Ugh. We are going to be in your world in the next 6 months. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    Wondering how the MLB transfer/trade market works after seeing this;
    "Nationals star Juan Soto reportedly turns down record $440m contract"
    The article suggests he is a very good player in a weak team.  Therefore the prospect of 15 years would be unpalatable even at $30m pa.  

Some questions then;
    - the 'contract' : is that his salary package? 
    - is there a salary cap and/or squad size limit in MLB?
    - is 15 years unusually long?
    - if he's contracted, can he still be traded, and is there a compensation arrangement for the 'selling' team?

In football the player's registration is bought and sold by clubs - although most people believe it is the player themselves. Contracts rarely extend beyond 5 years, most are much shorter. The player's salary and the cost of the transfer are completely separate.  

So, a typical PL transfer fee could be £20m to compensate the 'selling' team plus or minus numerous clauses for the club to receive more money for international call-ups, club success like Champions League qualification, % of sell-on to another club etc.  For the player a four year deal on £100K per week and a get-out clause in the event of relegation.  The pay drop from PL to the Championship would be about 80%.

Players can run down their contract and in the last six months talk to other teams (officially, but it happens all the time anyway) meaning the team doesn't 'sell' the player for a fee.  The player joins a new team for 'free' but takes a mighty bump in salary as a result, because the overall costs is less to the purchasing club. 

There's an odd quirk in Spanish football whereby the player 'sold' has to settle the remaining contract terms before being allowed to join another. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    CPFC1905 said:
    Wondering how the MLB transfer/trade market works after seeing this;
    "Nationals star Juan Soto reportedly turns down record $440m contract"
    The article suggests he is a very good player in a weak team.  Therefore the prospect of 15 years would be unpalatable even at $30m pa.  

Some questions then;
    - the 'contract' : is that his salary package? Yes 
    - is there a salary cap and/or squad size limit in MLB? Yes, both
    - is 15 years unusually long? Yes
    - if he's contracted, can he still be traded, and is there a compensation arrangement for the 'selling' team? Yes and yes

In football the player's registration is bought and sold by clubs - although most people believe it is the player themselves. Contracts rarely extend beyond 5 years, most are much shorter. The player's salary and the cost of the transfer are completely separate.  

So, a typical PL transfer fee could be £20m to compensate the 'selling' team plus or minus numerous clauses for the club to receive more money for international call-ups, club success like Champions League qualification, % of sell-on to another club etc.  For the player a four year deal on £100K per week and a get-out clause in the event of relegation.  The pay drop from PL to the Championship would be about 80%.

Players can run down their contract and in the last six months talk to other teams (officially, but it happens all the time anyway) meaning the team doesn't 'sell' the player for a fee.  The player joins a new team for 'free' but takes a mighty bump in salary as a result, because the overall costs is less to the purchasing club. 

There's an odd quirk in Spanish football whereby the player 'sold' has to settle the remaining contract terms before being allowed to join another. 
    Inserted a few answers, different than soccer, but just as convoluted.  Lawyers got involved.
    Not a felon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    kl8ton said:

Did you at least get some funny video?
    No video.  I told him to be in his camper with door shut until morning or cops would be called.  5 minutes later he was back out.  Cops called.  His embarrassed wife and daughter (they were here for a huge softball tournament in the area) packed up camper and left.  Cops arrived just in time to have a chat with them. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629
    kl8ton said:

Ugh. We are going to be in your world in the next 6 months. 
    You are going to run a campground?  😉
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,599
    Here's a bit more on Soto and his contract:
    "The proposed extension, which Rosenthal reported did not include any deferred money, would take Soto through his age-38 season and be the richest contract in AL/NL history, topping Mike Trout's $426.5 million contract with the Angels from 2019. However, it would be the 20th-largest contract in baseball history in terms of annual average value.

This is not the first time contract extension talks have been reported in advance of Soto’s free agency. ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reported this past offseason Washington had offered Soto a 13-year deal worth $350 million. While it is not uncommon for star players to be linked in this level of buzz, Soto is experiencing it at 23 years old."

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    bbracey21 said:
    Beach views plus The Open
    Multiple likes. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,161
    Smoked some beef ribs over alder, they are now soaking up a red wine and ruby port sauce. That’ll be reduced later for gravy. Recipe here if you’re interested => https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2021/05/01/braised-beef-short-ribs-with-red-wine-sauce/

That looks and reads pretty awesomely!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,244
    edited July 2022
    Smoked some beef ribs over alder, they are now soaking up a red wine and ruby port sauce. That’ll be reduced later for gravy. Recipe here if you’re interested => https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2021/05/01/braised-beef-short-ribs-with-red-wine-sauce/

That looks and reads pretty awesomely!
    Thanks! The recipe really is foolproof … @CPFC1905 has successfully made it a few times. 😂😂😂
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    Watching the Open come down to the wire
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976

Nice!  Now that BoJo is leaving, you’re not going to leave for Canada? j/k
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    @Stormbringer - Glad you have surfaced and quite a grand return with that cook. Those ribs look great.  
    Have you been spared the record heat in the UK where you are?

I hope @Eoin is well as he has been submerged and undetected around these parts for much longer than usual. Your other compatriot @CPFC1905 is quite regular in his posts news of the PL football goings on.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,950
    Keeping the flag waving for the Colonial powers is one of my unofficial roles, alongside football correspondent and Nola storage commentator in chief.  

I can vouch for @Stormbringer and his assertions that even I can produce fabulous ribs following his nom-de-plume Chefs Digest recipes.

Long serving contributor of the parish @Eoin has been occupied elsewhere but is in good order.  He is not, despite widespread rumours, a leading candidate in the race for PM.  More to the pity. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,357

Thanks for the post and the recipe link, looks just fabulous.  I've never done beef ribs direct, am curious as to why you chose that over indirect during the smoking phase?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Stormbringer
    dbCooper said:

Thanks for the post and the recipe link, looks just fabulous.  I've never done beef ribs direct, am curious as to why you chose that over indirect during the smoking phase?
    It was an experiment I thought that doing it direct would give s better colour and render more fat out. It worked. 👍
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Just finished painting the entryway that had a glaze of some sort on it.  3 coats of paint later.  Have I mentioned how much I absolutely hate painting?  I best get some major brownie points for this.  lol
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Stormbringer
    lousubcap said:
    @Stormbringer - Glad you have surfaced and quite a grand return with that cook. Those ribs look great.  
    Have you been spared the record heat in the UK where you are?

I hope @Eoin is well as he has been submerged and undetected around these parts for much longer than usual. Your other compatriot @CPFC1905 is quite regular in his posts news of the PL football goings on.  

All good here Cap .. we have air con 😂

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Just finished painting the entryway that had a glaze of some sort on it.  3 coats of paint later.  Have I mentioned how much I absolutely hate painting?  I best get some major brownie points for this.  lol
    Should’ve called @northGAcock he paints as a hobby.  Travels, doesn’t charge.  It’s his passion. 
  • Just finished painting the entryway that had a glaze of some sort on it.  3 coats of paint later.  Have I mentioned how much I absolutely hate painting?  I best get some major brownie points for this.  lol
    Should’ve called @northGAcock he paints as a hobby.  Travels, doesn’t charge.  It’s his passion. 
    Now you tell me!!!!
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Just finished painting the entryway that had a glaze of some sort on it.  3 coats of paint later.  Have I mentioned how much I absolutely hate painting?  I best get some major brownie points for this.  lol
    The easiest path to get to love painting: take down some wallpaper.  A small bathroom will be sufficient.  When I moved to utard I actually walked away from some promising homes, just because of wallpaper.  Never again.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    "The proposed extension, which Rosenthal reported did not include any deferred money, would take Soto through his age-38 season and be the richest contract in AL/NL history, topping Mike Trout's $426.5 million contract with the Angels from 2019. However, it would be the 20th-largest contract in baseball history in terms of annual average value.

This is not the first time contract extension talks have been reported in advance of Soto’s free agency. ESPN’s Enrique Rojas reported this past offseason Washington had offered Soto a 13-year deal worth $350 million. While it is not uncommon for star players to be linked in this level of buzz, Soto is experiencing it at 23 years old."

Soto is good, but not worth Mike Trout money.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    lousubcap said:

But is Mike Trout worth Mike Trout money?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    WeberWho said:
    lousubcap said:

Yes. But Ohtani is worth more than Trout money. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    WeberWho said:
    lousubcap said:

Hmm, that is actually a great question.  To the Angels?  No, he isn't.  They need more than him.and Shoei.

• lousubcap
    The $$ the Angels pay Trout are to keep him on the roster.  He is worth more in eyeball revenue in several markets but the owner realizes what he has.  Ohtani is in his first contract.  As valuable as he is as a player, his upside from a marketing perspective is unlimited, again in the right market.  
    Good 'ol George Steinbrenner woulda paid dearly for the great great grand-son of Babe.