Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    I think that’s how you know you’ve gotten old, when a new dishwasher gets you fired up.
    How good of a job is it doing drying the dishes?  We had a super silent LG that, we did not realize until we replaced it, sucked at drying up the dishes.  It was 10 years old when it died in the middle of the pandemic with no replacement parts available and almost no stock on any decent models.  We ended up replacing it with a Bosch which we read are great for washing but also suck at drying dishes.  I ordered one of the only models readily available from Costco without doing much research after visiting a few appliance stores that were all out of stock and had months of wait time.  To my surprise, dishes are coming out bone dry thanks to a feature called Crystal Dry which is based on circulating humid air through minerals that results in an exothermic reaction.  I did not realize how much time I was wasting every morning drying up dishes while emptying the LG… Even plastics come out dry with the Bosch.
    Super clean and dry as far as I can tell.  It has this neat feature where it actually opens the door on its own when the wash/dry cycle has completed.  Apparently that helps dry the dishes out, but it also provides you with a clear visual indication that the dishes are done.  
    @paqman - my understanding is newer dishwashers dry by condensation, instead of using a heating element like the old days. The steel tub cools down, and water vapor coming off the heated dishes condenses on it. Dishes, especially plastics, stay somewhat wet. Saves some $$ because there isn't a heating element, plus plastic items  are less likely to melt. 

The auto door ajar feature that JIC's Miele has, works well. I know, because that's what we do manually =). The DW is started with a 3-6hr delay before going to bed, so that everything is piping hot in the morning. Crack the door open in the morning, and its all pretty dry by the time we get back home. 

Yes, my midlife crisis has been getting nerdy about dishwashers...
    Similar drills here, Bosch has no heater, remove plastics, drape and press towel over inverted cups/glasses to remove water, leave door ajar couple of inches.

Previous one was a Maytag, I disconnected the heater!
    canuckland
  • Hanging out with my dog.  Helped a friend change some outside faucets.  Waiting for my food order to be done.

Hope you’re not still sitting at that Taco Bell window. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    ...and will be realizing a childhood dream of seeing Rage Against the Machine in a few days’ time. 

From what I've read (I'm not a fan) RATM is exploding right now, in popularity.

And so are (thanks to some netflix series) some '80's stars, like Metallica, Drake, and Kate Bush.  We live in Interesting Times.  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• Botch said:
    ...and will be realizing a childhood dream of seeing Rage Against the Machine in a few days’ time. 

And so are (thanks to some netflix series) some '80's stars, like Metallica, Drake, and Kate Bush.  We live in Interesting Times.  
    Been a fan since early days. My friends are about the biggest fans you can find. The band broke up three days before a concert in my city nearly a few decades back. This week, the universe will be righted. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
    @GrateEggspectations the kiddos look like they're having a good time :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,757
    caliking said:
    paqman said:
    I think that’s how you know you’ve gotten old, when a new dishwasher gets you fired up.
    How good of a job is it doing drying the dishes?  We had a super silent LG that, we did not realize until we replaced it, sucked at drying up the dishes.  It was 10 years old when it died in the middle of the pandemic with no replacement parts available and almost no stock on any decent models.  We ended up replacing it with a Bosch which we read are great for washing but also suck at drying dishes.  I ordered one of the only models readily available from Costco without doing much research after visiting a few appliance stores that were all out of stock and had months of wait time.  To my surprise, dishes are coming out bone dry thanks to a feature called Crystal Dry which is based on circulating humid air through minerals that results in an exothermic reaction.  I did not realize how much time I was wasting every morning drying up dishes while emptying the LG… Even plastics come out dry with the Bosch.
    Super clean and dry as far as I can tell.  It has this neat feature where it actually opens the door on its own when the wash/dry cycle has completed.  Apparently that helps dry the dishes out, but it also provides you with a clear visual indication that the dishes are done.  
    @paqman - my understanding is newer dishwashers dry by condensation, instead of using a heating element like the old days. The steel tub cools down, and water vapor coming off the heated dishes condenses on it. Dishes, especially plastics, stay somewhat wet. Saves some $$ because there isn't a heating element, plus plastic items  are less likely to melt. 

The auto door ajar feature that JIC's Miele has, works well. I know, because that's what we do manually =). The DW is started with a 3-6hr delay before going to bed, so that everything is piping hot in the morning. Crack the door open in the morning, and its all pretty dry by the time we get back home. 

Yes, my midlife crisis has been getting nerdy about dishwashers...
    Similar drills here, Bosch has no heater, remove plastics, drape and press towel over inverted cups/glasses to remove water, leave door ajar couple of inches.

Previous one was a Maytag, I disconnected the heater!
    The model that I have has no heater to dry the dishes, it relies on a chemical reaction between the moist air and a mineral called zeolite.  The moisture in the wash tub is gradually siphoned out of the tub and sucked in by the zeolite which emits intense heat when in contact with water.  The heat is then pumped into the tub to further dry the dishes.  Impressive and efficient technology.

Our neighbour has the same model but with the automated door opening feature instead of the crystal dry chamber.  He is happy with it.  I prefer the layout of the racks on his but I am getting used to mine.

Botch said:

Been a fan since early days. My friends are about the biggest fans you can find. The band broke up three days before a concert in my city nearly a few decades back. This week, the universe will be righted. 
    I had a couple buddies go to RATM at Alpine Valley a few nights ago. He said the show was good.

The pic he sent:

I heard Zack de la Rocha messed up his foot or something yesterday during the concert. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. It wouldn't be the same without him jumping all around. 

I've seen a couple of their shows now and been impressed. I fought my way up to second row the last time they were in town. I don't think I'd be able to pull that off anymore but you'll enjoy the show wherever you end up.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho said:
    Botch said:

I had a couple buddies go to RATM at Alpine Valley a few nights ago. He said the show was good.

The pic he sent:

I heard Zack de la Rocha messed up his foot or something yesterday during the concert. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. It wouldn't be the same without him jumping all around. 

I've seen a couple of their shows now and been impressed. I fought my way up to second row the last time they were in town. I don't think I'd be able to pull that off anymore but you'll enjoy the show wherever you end up.
    Yes, I’d heard about his foot. Hope it doesn’t result in muted enthusiasm or cancellation. 

Was deep into the crowds for Luke Combs. Doubt I’ll be so bold for Rage. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:

Yeah it was pretty nuts the last they were in town. Rage played the same time when the Republican National Committee was in town. They came out with orange jumpsuits and black head covers. 

https://youtu.be/mR3mTc90BbI

The place was nuts. I think 102 people were arrested and cops were everywhere in riot gear. Crazy thing to see. Everyone one in our group was ringing head to toe in sweat when it was over. One of them lost their hat and another one managed to lose their shoe during the concert. Fun times!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,229
    edited July 2022
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:

Yeah it was pretty nuts the last they were in town. Rage played the same time when the Republican National Committee was in town. They came out with orange jumpsuits and black head covers. 

The place was nuts. I think 102 people were arrested and cops were everywhere in riot gear. Crazy thing to see. Everyone one in our group was ringing head to toe in sweat when it was over. One of them lost their hat and another one managed to lose their shoe during the concert. Fun times!
    Lose a shoe during an accident means they died.  Its true.  Check the internets.  Just losing a shoe means they lost their virginity.  That's true too.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:

Lost a shoe!  That means they died.  Its true.  Check the internets.
    I can understand a flip flop or a sandal but losing a whole shoe was pretty damn funny. You could look around and you would see hundreds of people jumping over the walls and flocking down to the main floor and security didn't stand a chance. It's was packed. Losing a shoe only makes sense.  

Minnesota
  • Botch said:

My neighbors listen to the most fantastic music.

Whether they want to or not.  

This made me lol. We have a few neighbours who like to host the occasional wild party until we’ll into the morning hours. With the kids, we make our fair share of noise so are quite happy to have the sound waves reciprocated on occasion. 

A few weeks back, on a Monday, at about 1:00am, the speakers started with ferocity. Some electro-soulful mashup tune that had a trance vibe to it at very loud volumes for a good 10 minutes. However, no one appeared to be in the yard. My best guess is that someone enjoying themselves a little too much accidentally paired with the outdoor Bluetooth speakers and took a good while to realize it. 

There’s a very funny story told by Matthew Perry that follows along the same lines, except that he was reportedly enjoying content that was not appropriate for all ages. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,757
    @GrateEggspectations you never drive around searching for open bluetooth speaker connections to play funny stuff on other peoples speakers?  🤣😂

Printers with wifi connections are fun too!

Saw this this morning, it's Wally world what do you expect 🤣

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,161

OK, OK so maybe the Atlanta airport isn’t so bad…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,593
    Is the world losing it's mind ... this isn't like new stuff to us ... we've been using airports for almost a century ... come back from COVID and the whole world is upside down.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,599
    Here's a bit about why regarding Gatwick: Burst water pipe-
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-62169911  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,976
    Is the world losing it's mind ... this isn't like new stuff to us ... we've been using airports for almost a century ... come back from COVID and the whole world is upside down.
    felt like that in our own backyard too 😉
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/what-we-know-about-the-network-system-failure-that-led-to-the-rogers-outage-1.5982790
    canuckland
  • BuckeyeFork
    BuckeyeFork Posts: 191
    Got my loan sorted out for my new house just before I couldn’t afford the rates.  Good advice here.

• Pook
    Pook Posts: 43
    Got my loan sorted out for my new house just before I couldn’t afford the rates.  Good advice here.

That is good advice. I have seen so many people online saying they got priced out of the market right when they were ready to buy with these higher rates. I’ll be securing my debt for sure. Whoever wrote this is a genius. 
  • You two must be pretty slow to just figure out rates are going up and you might not be able to afford that dream house.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Playing with my AC.  Have issue narrowed down to safety switch, 24v doohickey, or the board on the furnace unit.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    Playing with my AC.  Have issue narrowed down to safety switch, 24v doohickey, or the board on the furnace unit.
    That is never fun, especially in our climate. It is 114 in Vegas this week. Thankfully I have been away and am not looking forward to working in it next week. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    More than one unit for the house, right?
    Not a felon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,059
    Ever since I went into the Navy, the ocean has been a place to calm my mind. I have seen a lot of the oceans and so far the PNW coast has been the most calming. It is my happy place. 

I’ll take redwoods and a rocky coast over a white sand beach any day.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited July 2022
    Legume said:
    More than one unit for the house, right?
    Thankfully yes, might be sleeping in the office.  I have it narrowed down at least to most probable culprits.  Got it running at the moment and cranked down incase it stops.

That is never fun, especially in our climate. It is 114 in Vegas this week. Thankfully I have been away and am not looking forward to working in it next week. 
    Yup!  107 here today.  Mighty uncomfortable without AC.  Plus our humidity today is almost 50% right now.

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    @Battleborn
    where are you traveling? Are you hiking ?